Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New Years Resolution, orgianize your tools.
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 hemi dodge
Can you really have too many tools ?
That is an interesting question, and the answer is yes and no. Like I said in my article, I have a much smaller tool box than anyone in my shop and I VERY seldom need to borrow a tool! There are two different mechanic/bodymen out there ones with a huge box full of tools they don't use, and the other has an huge box that it half empty!

I have both in the shop where I work. I have one guy with TWO huge boxes! They are full of nuts and bolts, and crap, worn out air tools he never uses, hammers without handles, handles without hammers, they are FULL. He then has a cart with two drawers that he works out of going to one of his boxes about 1% of the time!!!

There is another guy who again, works out of a cart and has a HUGE (six foot wide maybe) SnapOn box (about 8-10 thousand dollars) that is 25% full! NO KIDDING!

I have a $2500 box ( I assume, at todays dollars, I paid $1700 15 year ago) with no cart and I roll it where I am working. I probably still only use about 25% of that box 75% of the time with the other 75% being used 25%.

And I have some damn nice tools, I have the best spot weld drill (almost $500) the best die grinders at up to $250, $200 angle grinders Snap On wrenches (along side of some gear wrenches) I don't scrimp on tool cost.

I don't know, there seems to be a lot of waste when it comes to tools in most boxes.

Brian