New York Times and Science Magazine debunk biofuels - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 05:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yeah, I hear all about those from time to time. I just listen, nod, grunt when I'm supposed to and let the ignorant be ignorant, because they want to be.

Larry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2008, 06:55 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
I was watching a show on The History Channel and they mentioned one possible method to help limit CO2 emissions. Convert it to sodium bicarbonate. Apparently it's an expensive process but it could mean all of the baking soda we'll ever need...
What about mixing the baking soda with vinegar...for a jet car(Hey it worked for the 3rd grade Volcano science project didnt it.)

Shane
Old 02-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35WINDOW
Thank you! I was waiting for someone to say that!
I recall in the late 60s or early 70s there was significant concern about global cooling and the coming ice age. Enough so that it made the cover of one of the big news mags (forget whether it was Newsweek or Time, we got both, my grandmother was a democrat and my mother was a republican...

I have significant education in statistical data analysis and time series forecasting, and I don't believe any of the positions about global warming is or isn't going to proceed at a rate that will change the world. IMO -- note the omission of the H on this subject -- there is not enough data to draw a firm conclusion. Gore could be right or wrong, but he is guessing, not forecasting with data that provides assurance of accuracy.

There is a big difference between a hypothesis and scientific truth -- and the debate has a lot more heat than light, doesn't it.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:35 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Fact: The earth evolves and changes. Where there are deserts now, there used to be lush forest. The Grand Canyon used to be a big *** river. What humans caused that river to grind into the rock and make it what it is today? North Africa was a forest 10,000 years ago. What did primative man do to kill that forest? The answer is nothing. It's evolution. I think humans may have an influence on the planet today, but nothing as drastic as all these "pro-green" groups are claiming. In my opinion, there is caring and then there is fanatic. A lot of these groups are fanatics with an agenda and the agenda is to spread panic and promote/sell a cure.

Bottomline, you can't run blind EVERYTIME someone yells fire. Take a little time to see if you even see or smell smoke and if you DO run blind, watch out for the trees. There are millions of them.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:21 PM

Yeah. Ask Sonny Bono.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:11 PM

Weather change

I am surprised that the media refuses to investigate the influence of the HAARP project in Alaska has to do with the strange weather in the last few years in North America.
The Us Govt denied that the site existed until some enterprising individuals took pictures and posted them on the internet. The govts of the world must hate that they cannot control the internet.
Lots of information on the HAARP (High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program). Some of the sites now try to say that it's just a research project, but dig deeper in the search engines, and you may find the truth.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:21 AM

Last photo:

Sounds like someone forgot to put on his tin foil hat this morning.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:41 AM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

The Diary of a Mad Man

I wrote this 5 days a go & PM'd it to myself for later scrutiny.

Well I still feel the same so take it or leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
For me, the article underscores the importance of relying on science as we try to address any existing global energy issues.

The notion that you can measure the exhaust of a vehicle, see that it contains less carbon, and then declare it "green" is ridiculous. You have to analyze the whole system (in this case, the planet), before jumping to conclusions.

And if we were to take all the knowledge obtained since Humans have been Collecting , Speculating, Smashing Forming, Measuring & Hypothesizing ,it would equal one grain of sand to all the beaches on the globe.

fact is with all our superior knowledge. . . . . . .

At the End of the day it's a A wild guess .

Enough Energy bombards the earth in one day to run the planet for years but the "Capitalistic Machine" will not let it come to fruition until they can meter & profit from it.

It would be kind of pointless to go to the Gatornationals to watch Electric Dragster Zip up the track.

Even Though they would most likely go faster.

I miss Fossil fuels already { I can't just go for a ride @ 10 MPG with out a reason} But sooner or later it will be fazed out

I guess they could have Virtual 1/4 mile racing {holographic even}

But my point is the world has gotten greedy & complacent & no one wants to stop living the life of ease until something breaks down .

Why has all this technology caused so much damage in the past 100 + years?

the great pacific garbage patch

with so many possibilities {a infinity unknown} there are many different factors that can be calculated into "Global Warming"
Magntic Poles switching

Volcanic Activity

Cosmic Rays

Scientists speculate that Super Nova stars With Nuetrons flying in every direction has played a role in human evolution.

Where does it stop?

When it breaks down on the side of the Universe. . . . . .

When either the Human Race Blows out its own candle or our sun goes Super Nova.

{My Bet is on the human Race to win that one}.

I want to Believe that good will triumph over bad but bad has it too easy with no rules.

How many people need to keep making more people?

When is the planet full?

All in all I thinks its the Plantets way of cleaning house

Just because main stream society does not subscribe does not mean the technology for the 100 MPG small block does not exist.

I forget who but a European Race car {diesel} gets 112 MPG @ 120 MPH .

Most innovative Inventors are scoffed @ until everyone {disbelievers} is proved wrong.

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 02-17-2008, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

QUOTE;(Just because main stream society does not subscribe does not mean the technology for the 100 MPG small block does not exist.)

(I forget who but a European Race car {diesel} gets 112 MPG @ 120 MPH )......................................
I knew it! I agree 100% !!!!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 04:31 PM

I believe it is a Lotus. GOTTA LOVE A DIESEL!!!!! Also there is technology out that turns certain power plant emmisions into a fast growing algea that can be turned into biodiesel, believe the power plant is in Arizona.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:13 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Bio-diesel, gotta love it. So far I have no complaints with it. Burn it everyday.....lots of it. haha

Now with this wood burning car, What is NHRA going to do? Have wood burner classes?? Those that run Ash are AA/ Organic Fuel, BB/Organic Fuel for Balsam, CC/Organic Fuel for those running cherry wood. OO/Organic Fuel for the oak burners.

Let's not leave the electrics out, EEB/ Electic Fuel for the battery powered guys and EEC/ Electric Fuel for the guys using super capacitors (super caps). Oh yes Electrics require a Faraday cage for the driver. haha
Old 02-18-2008, 04:29 PM

Last photo:

a wood burning dragster ? Why not ? He'd have plenty time in the lineups to get his fire stoked up . Just picture the cloud of smoke.... but , probabley wouldn't be any worse the the tire smoke....
Old 02-18-2008, 06:01 PM

Years ago when I worked at the Ford Engineering Center I inherited a bookshelf of history that included the summary of Ford's effort to develop a Stirling Cycle engine, the history of their turbine engine program, and a management summary of the end of their racing program with Carroll Shelby. Interesting reading.

The big automakers have spent a fortune on hybrid, fuel cell, electric, and other alternatives. But the bottom line for them is if they can't make at least 250,000 a year of them at a price people will pay, it's a waste of time.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:07 AM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Sometimes it's hard to tell where science ends and hucksterism begins.

Are biofuels net negatives? An article in the NYT is not enough to answer that. It's far too wide a brush applied with far too little data. (I have not read the article because the NYT wants me to register and login. If the referenced studies are available openly elsewhere, I'd like to read them. Science requires openness). More likely, some biofuel production and use is net-positive, some biofuel production and use is net-neutral, and some biofuel production and use is net-negative. It's sorta the way the universe works.

We're making a lot of cars in the world. It follows that we're fueling a lot of cars. The effects of the use of that fuel are measurable. The efficiency of our engines can be measured and predicted. Note the evolution of the efficieny of internal combustion engines in that last link. Not every attempt to increase that efficiency over the span of years in that chart was successful. I'm glad the failures didn't halt the advance.

Not every attempt at creating a system of biofuel production and usage will be successful. This is no reason to dismiss
successes by "car hacker[s]"

Surely hotrodders should be at the forefront of automobile advances, rather than at the forefront of preserving the status quo in the face of scientific evidence that we can't continue the status quo forever. Did hotrodders follow Detroit or drag the automobile industry kicking and screaming toward advances? Do you win at the track by getting less energy out of fuel and squandering more?

From the first link above:
Quote:
1. Observation and description of a phenomenon or group of phenomena.
2. Formulation of an hypothesis to explain the phenomena.
3. Use of the hypothesis to predict the existence of other phenomena, or to predict quantitatively the results of new observations.
4. Performance of experimental tests of the predictions by several independent experimenters and properly performed experiments.
Notice that "several independent experimenters" and "properly performed experiments". It's getting hard to gauge independence. It's also getting hard to gain access to scientific research. You can't tell if experiments are properly performed if you can't get anything except abstracts and filtered news reports.

How many experiments and experimenters are available on open automobile enthusiasts forums? Might still teach the manufacturers a thing or two. These might also teach some researchers to police their ranks and find out if there are a few stealth marketers among them.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:41 PM

Go, Grouch, Go

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.