Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New York Times and Science Magazine debunk biofuels
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 01:43 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have mixed emotions on this subject-this Article didn't seem to take into account that we have millions of Acres sitting idle that do not produce a Crop-actually, the Government is paying Farmers not to use it-it's called CRP (the Conservation Reserve Program), and, some of it has recently been put back into Production for Biofuels. No real earth shaking news there, it has been going on for 20 Years +. Sam- we have the Acreage today to take care of America-there used to be a sign when you drove into Kansas that said "every Kansas Farmer feeds 52 people and you"-what is scary is that we are bulding Houses on top of the best Farm land there is-just look at Modesto-(actually, look at just about any major City today)-

On top of that, we are using Corn for the base-Brazil is using Switchgrass, which you get more product for the input. I can understand the American Farmer's reluctance to switch over until further studies are done on this (Soil testing, ability to use), because he can always market the Corn. As the Article states, Sugar Cane is a good source, and we really haven't tried that one either.

This Biofuels thing is really doing a lot to the Ag Industry, however-Farmer's are actually making good money now, and when Farmer's have money they spend it. I like the idea that we are (to a small degree) kicking sand in the face of OPEC-

You sure couldn't tell me this Winter that we have Global Warming-looks to me that we have Global Cooling-