NEWB Advice for My 1st 350 Rebuild - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10
IMHO go in the direction you were thinking of, first off talk to your machine shop about kits, here is an example of a budget kit there are many others:

http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...uctModelId=380

Thats 190 bucks for all the bottom end stuff you need (short block). You have a good casting # block there to start with so have the shop check the crank, rods and block to make sure its rebuildable, if not then just buy a budget short block complete. Have your heads rebuilt and use them on your basically bone stock 350.,,,,OR:

#1 get your machinist on board and get a good one,,,

Buy these pistons with a 0.030 over bore

http://www.kb-silvolite.com/kb_car/p...tails&P_id=154

Cam just an example of a good towing type cam:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HRS-CL112011/

Now look for some vortec heads, search this sight for 500+ threads that refer to these excellent heads, maybe 500 or so bucks for a complete set ready to go depending on the cam lift, a good RV cam will most likely be OK with stock vortec head as the lift will be below .450 and duration should be around 208 to 212. These heads are 64cc so make sure to get the dished pistons not flat tops to keep the DCR at about 9:1 this is were your machinist comes in cuase he will need to use compession height of pistons to determine deck height when machining block to end up with about 0.040 -0.045 squish with a 0.040 head gasket.

Intake,,,edelbrock spread bore, 175 bucks, suggest this one for factory Qjet carb, you may find carb easy for about 325 new or 125 rebuilt, go with Qjet on your build if you want to get some good mileage and still have good WOT pulls, maybe you have this Qjet already on the 350?. Use felpro MS98000T intake gasket kit they are expensive but you may just be able to buy the intake gasket (2) if you know your parts guy, these do a better job of sealing up the vortec heads to intake and can be reused.

HEI Dist
http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...px?Item=6500-R
can't beat this value

Oil pan, timing cover, valve covers, plugs/wires, balancer,fuel pump another $400 maybe or search the junk yards for the covers and pan to save$$$

Add some headers if in the budget and some dynomax turbo mufflers another 800-900 maybe other wise just good dual system with the same mufflers, but headers would be best for sure.

You will have about 325HP and 375ft/lbs on a completely driver freindly truck that you can use for your towing and have some fun while doing it on regular gas. There are some that will have you building a street/stip motor before you know it, don't go there if this is a work horse.

this is almost exactly what i have been telling him for the exception of the stock vortec heads, not that they aren't a good head cause as i menitoned in my previous post they are the best sbc GM production heads ever produced and they are an excelent head for a street motor, but with all the head manufactures offering vortec style heads that flow 10-15% better than the production vortec heads for about 200.00 bucks more than it would cost you to clean up and rebuild the production vortecs i think it's kind of a no brainer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 03:26 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Quote:
this is almost exactly what i have been telling him for the exception of the stock vortec heads, not that they aren't a good head cause as i menitoned in my previous post they are the best sbc GM production heads ever produced and they are an excelent head for a street motor, but with all the head manufactures offering vortec style heads that flow 10-15% better than the production vortec heads for about 200.00 bucks more than it would cost you to clean up and rebuild the production vortecs i think it's kind of a no brainer
yep my reply was without reading any of yours, just the OP's...great minds think alike lol, yes the RHS vortecs are a good choice if good stock ones are not to be found.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:21 PM

Last photo:

Ahh, ok. I'm following you now! Thanks for all the advice. I wasn't sure if you guys were talking about stabbing the whole thing in, or doing a conversion. I wasn't even sure if the Vortec heads would even fit on this block or not. Some of the threads I found on "other sites" had some questionable advice. I think this sounds like a good way to head, and sounds like the best bang for the buck setup! I think I'm going to head to the machine shop on next week and have a chat with those guys, just to see if this is something they can handle. Apparently, there's only two shops here in town. My other option is Vegas, or Phoenix. I have the Quad carb already, and quite a few other items. I just need to check with the shop to make sure everything is ok. Awesome guys, thanks.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:24 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Vortec Info

A LOT of info on Vortec heads and mods to them, etc. is HERE and HERE.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:14 AM

Last photo:

Thanks again, I'm going to sift through this stuff, and see if I can track down a set of heads. My only fear is, I really don't have many yards to search out here. Plus, I doubt many of them will be willing to separate heads from a complete motor assembly. I guess this is were just getting a set of remans would come in like Custom10 suggested. This all sounds great!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:44 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodin1
Thanks again, I'm going to sift through this stuff, and see if I can track down a set of heads. My only fear is, I really don't have many yards to search out here. Plus, I doubt many of them will be willing to separate heads from a complete motor assembly. I guess this is were just getting a set of remans would come in like Custom10 suggested. This all sounds great!
If you're careful, and given a bit of luck, you may find a complete L31 Vortec 5.7L engine.

It would have the Vortec heads and a roller cam/lifters and the accompanying parts that make it all happen.

For the $500-$1000 you're talking about, you can get a 5.3L or 6L LS engine. You should be able to get a wounded Vortec for a LOT less than that. The last one I got was <$200 w/a bad crank and one bad rod, good everything else.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:49 AM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:

I agree with Custom10. I have the same block casting and put vortec heads on it, but with more cam and a stroker crank. The stock heads will be plenty for what you're wanting to do.

Don't forget craigslist and ebay for some of these parts. An intake would be great to grab used, but I would personally just pony up and get new heads so you don't have to worry about their longevity. I would even look into Summit's vortec heads. They're ready for a high lift cam if you decide to swap cams later down the road. They also have 67 cc chambers so if you used a flat top piston with 4 valve reliefs you would be within the 9.5 - 10:1 range.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-151124/

Summit also makes some inexpensive rebuild kits. Just have your crank ground and have the bottom end balanced and you're good to go.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-SBCKIT1-300/

Good luck!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
If you're careful, and given a bit of luck, you may find a complete L31 Vortec 5.7L engine.

It would have the Vortec heads and a roller cam/lifters and the accompanying parts that make it all happen.

For the $500-$1000 you're talking about, you can get a 5.3L or 6L LS engine. You should be able to get a wounded Vortec for a LOT less than that. The last one I got was <$200 w/a bad crank and one bad rod, good everything else.

Here's one close to your area.

http://prescott.craigslist.org/pts/1890463708.html
Old 08-19-2010, 11:59 AM

Last photo:

I'm going to email him and see if it's still available! Thanks
Old 08-19-2010, 12:28 PM

Last photo:

There's quite a bit of items in the Phoenix Listing as well. I just need to figure out which heads I should be looking out for, if I end up going that route? Casting numbers? I'm a little leery about buying a complete motor off someone, but I think I need to weigh these issues. 800 for a complete motor, or drop twice that getting mine re-done?
Old 08-19-2010, 12:38 PM

Last photo:

I personally would rebuild what you got with some vortec heads. That way, you know what you have instead of trusting someone's word.

Casting numbers to look out for are 062 and 906. Here's a set. They want $400. I would just drop another $200 and buy new.

http://prescott.craigslist.org/pts/1895881441.html
Old 08-19-2010, 12:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Super Beetle
I personally would rebuild what you got with some vortec heads. That way, you know what you have instead of trusting someone's word.

Casting numbers to look out for are 062 and 906. Here's a set. They want $400. I would just drop another $200 and buy new.

http://prescott.craigslist.org/pts/1895881441.html
That's a steep price!

What he has now is virtually worthless, buying a complete Vortec long block makes the most sense. You can have 4 bolt mains, HYD ROLLER CAM PROVISIONS, and usually very minimal bore wear (less machining costs).

Buy a Vortec long block, sell what you have to someone for $50. Its the best start you can hope for at this point.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:58 PM

Last photo:

There's a set of 906's on Phoenix Craigs for $250? He claims they're like new?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:12 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like a deal, if they are like new.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

as i have mentioned before what ever you find you should rebuild or freshin up, so you will be taking things apart and rebuilding them, i think either way you will be happy but you mentioned that you already have some stuff i personaly would lean toward building what you have. just because you find a 5.7L vortec motor doesn't mean it will be in good shape and it doesn't mean that the heads wont be cracked, it also doesn't mean that i wont be in great shape and need next to nothing but that is just a risk that you will have to take if you decide to go this route.

i would still go with what you have, i have no reservations about building up a one of the older non-roller 2 peice rear main seal motors, that is what is in my camaro now

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.