Newbie - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013, 06:13 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hello, I am a newbie to this site. I am building a 1968 MGB with Ford 302 that should be about 350 h.p. The project is huge and I am in way over my head. Will be glad to receive help from anyone here. Right now looking for advice on painting. The car was painted when I bought it but was loaded with fish eyes. I have sanded it and am ready to prime. Planning to use epoxy primer. Does anyone have any suggestions on this. My final paint will be 2 stage urethane. Thanks for any help. Looking forward to using this site.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 06:43 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Welcome to the site...I saw that this was your first post and I will be happy to help as will others...best thing to do though to get optimum responses is to start a new thread in either the paint section of the body section, may members look for specific categories so that they can offer the best advice possible.

So, you have a 68 MGB with fish eyes in the existing paint. Couple of questions, how long ago was it painted? Did you pre clean the car before you sanded it? Do you already have Epoxy primer? Have you ever painted before?

If you can answer these questions, I will be more than happy to walk you through the steps needed to get that awesome finish...Be prepared to work you tail off, not take shortcuts and become as fussy as I am and it will work out great.

Ray
Old 08-17-2013, 10:40 AM

Paint question

Hello, thanks for your response. This is the best site ever. I bought the car about 9 months ago and it was freshly painted so I am guessing it was painted about a year ago. I washed it with detergent, then wiped down with Eastwood pre-clean, before sanding. I used a DA sander with 120, then block sanded with 240. Then used some putty to fill some low spots. I have Eastwood Epoxy primer (I like Eastwood). That's where it sits right now. Would like to paint before it gets too cold (in Ohio - yuck). I painted lacquer when I was a kid (100 years ago) - never painted with modern materials. Appreciate the help.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

If I may be as bold as to ask...what is it about Eastwood products that you like? I don't want to take anything away from you or what you are doing but, there are products out there that are superior to Eastwoods and very reasonably priced. Eastwood gets other manufacturer's to produce products for them to their specifications. Sometimes those specifications just meet requirements to be used on a vehicle.

Again, and please don't be offended, if you feel you are a bit in over your head, there are many people on this site that are more than willing to help. The advice we offer is free and comes from the heart. If you haven't opened your can of Eastwood Epoxy, can you return it?

I have been a paint Rep for several paint company's throughout my career, I've used many different Epoxy primers and was a huge supporter of PPG's DP line of Epoxy. Since I've been involved with this forum, (it will be 1 year next month) I have been introduced to a line of primers, cleaners clears and other products that is second to none, priced properly with great customer service and free shipping...and I don't work for them. The name of the product is SPI. They have a line of Epoxy primers that, well, blew my socks off and now I will not use anything else. Most Epoxy primers have a tendency, to not sand well, this Epoxy sands like a dream, affords great rust protection and goes on smooth as silk...it even has rspectable build qualities.

Here is the web site.

Home

You can purchase this primer in quarts or gallons, a quart costs $33.75 for the primer and a quart of activator cost the same, a gallon can of either is $86.10. It comes in White, Gray, Black or Red. I highly recommend this product as well as any other product produced by this company...and again, I don't work for them, I do not get a commission, I am a converted fan.

If you choose to use SPI primer or not use SPI primer, how can I help?

What you have done so far is fine and well on the way to getting primer on your vehicle. If you have any specific questions, just ask and I will be more than happy to help where I can.

Best Regards

Ray
Old 08-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Not trying to fan the fire again, but I have to agree with Ray on the SPI products. I came home to 2 big SPI boxes this evening. If you are set on using the Eastwood epoxy, be sure to read the tech sheet (I have no experience with their products, so I can't offer any advice on them). Also if you don't know what kind of paint is on the car, I highly suggest trying a small part to see how it reacts to the epoxy before spraying the whole car. I have seen some ugly reactions to the cheaper grades of epoxy and it would be much easier to find out on a small piece than to have to deal with a problem on the whole car. Just a few thoughts. I know Ray is more than capable of talking you through this, and I will also try to help if I can. Best wishes to you.

Kelly
Old 08-23-2013, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the help. I plan to try the SPI product. I am not stuck on Eastwood at all. I like some of their stuff, some others, not so much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.