Hot Rod Forum banner

810 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  327NUT 
#1 ·
Ok, I just found out that I have a slot allocation for a 2014 COPO Camaro? Which engine should I get
350 CID w/2.9L Super Charger, 427 CID NA, 396 CID NA or 350 CID NA and why would you select one over the other.

Then which tramission, ATi 3 Speed TH-400 automatic or the $12K upgrade to a G-Force 4 Speed and why?

I am near retirement and need a hobby and I thought drag racing would be interesting..

#3 ·
Hobby??? this is a full on race car that costs a reported 90k, then you figure all the extra parts you'll need..... along with a new diesel 1 ton and trailer. You didn't say but how much experience do you have at wrenching one of these rigs?

As Vinnie eluded to, have you drag raced before....not that you can't learn but this Camaro is a helluva lot more than a hobby stock type car. Now if your experience and retirement allows that kind of monetary payout then good luck and have fun. Also to answer your question, I'd get the 427 and as much as I like the 4 spd idea I would get the T400.

#4 ·
All, these are good observations. No experience for a long time when I had my 57 283 Chey back in high school. But this car just happened and was put before me.

I could store it for a while then bring it out in 25 years, let some buy my certificate or let me and the kids have some fun.

I thought the 427 NA would be enough hp but didn't know being 62 I'd be fast enough with the manual. I also thought about getting my kids involved and out of the house and out to drag racing on weekends.

But may just have to settle for a ZL1 instead.

#5 ·
To put this car into perspective so to speak..... the orig '69 Copo Camaro which also only 69 units built is absolutely the holy grail of Camaro's. From what I read they are only going to build 69 of the 2014 copo's. IF and I mean if you could buy one and store it in proper location for 10,20,25 years and then put it up for auction you could probably make enough to pay off our country's debt.

I honestly think that you would be in waaaay over your head with a car like this, I know I would be and I've been screwing around with cars my entire adult life (67). The ZL-1 would be a good car to start with but I don't think it comes with an automatic. You could also look around for an older 55-57 chevy 210 2-door sedan and run a 350 - 406 in it to get your feet wet...again. If you sold the certificate to someone who's chomping at the bit for a Copo you could probably finance the entire old car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.