Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Newbie with 355 issues. Please no flames
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 11:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Newbie with 355 issues. Please no flames

Hello all I've been lurking on the site for quite a while now and have gotten tons of tips and had many problems solved by reading other posts but I haven't been able to pin point this one so I finally registered to post.

Here's a little back ground info. I rebuilt a 350 to and put in my cj-7 a few years back with help and guidance from a mentor/friend of mine. It was my first complete engine build so as I look back I wish some components were researched a little more but hindsight is 20/20.

specs
4 bolt main 350 from a 1979 K20
bored .030 over (355 now)
stock heads, valve springs, rockers, push rods, and lifters
Do NOT have flat top pistons
Edelbrock performer intake with performer 1405 600cfm carb.
brand new HEI ignition with stock spec ac delco plugs
comp cams xe274h cam (230/236)
hedman headers
timing set to 14 btdc (still learing about total timing so I dunno what its at)

problems
runs very rich
has a bad high rpm studder when "winding it out"

I've read many problems of people running rich with the 600 edelbrocks so thats a concern but not first priority.
This studder is driving me crazy. It seems like I can run 1st gear up to about 4500 or 5k with plenty of pull but when I go to 2nd it seems to studder very bad until I let off the throttle completely and ease back into it. Im no where near a pro at this but I can't figure it out. Is that valve float, due to stock springs with the aggressive cam? Is the cam too big? Carb too small? I'm lost.

Sorry If I used any wrong terminology or sound like just a plain dufus as I'm still learning.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Luke (CoolhandSr)