Newbie desperately needs buying help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2005, 10:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Newbie desperately needs buying help!

Hi, i just did my first post in the introduce yourself forum, so sorry for a repeat in a sense. I'm 21, and really looking into buying myself my first old vehicle to work on. I've stumbled across a 1963 Chevy c10 short box step side, with the 283 V8. I'm by no means a mechanic, but do have somewhat of an understanding of most automotive things. So basically, my questions to y'all are basically what i should be looking for! This far, i've only done a very brief visual on the truck, because the owner is out of town. I did manage to call him though, and the bad part is that he knows absolutely nothing about vehicles...he says all he does is throw in gas and oil, lol. So are there any things to look out for on these trucks? From what i've seen so far, the body looks decent: no apparent rust, a few dents, etc. Peering through the window i can see that the owner previous to the current had redone the interior with some woodgrain on the dash, as well as some newer latemodel buckets. There is what looks to be a B&M shifter coming up through the floor, so i've got no idea whats going to be there transmission wise. Essentially, this truck was modified at one time by an owner, and then sold to another guy whos used it as his dd. Says it runs fine, but blows a little blue smoke on startup. I'll hopefully be bringing a mechanic buddy of mine on tuesday to take it for a drive, so i'll know much more by then. But, any help you guys can give in the mean time would be really helpfull. I do have some pics, but it says they are too big to upload, and i don't know how to make them smaller.

Anyways, thanks for whatever you guys know about these trucks, and any other buying hints you can suggest!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2005, 04:57 AM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

You are doing the right thing by taking someone with you who knows about cars.Remeber this is a 63 according ot your post.So depending on a few things,it could have been fixed up over the years and there are more things than what you can see,or it could just have gotten the things you mentioned and is essence is still an old truck with a few parts installed.Your friend should crawl under it,with you,look at the suspension.A little blue smoke is no big deal.You will surely do something else instead of keeping a 283 in it if you are wanting to build something out of it.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:08 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I generally look at the body for problems. I can repair replace the mechanical components, but I a bodyman I am not. Also, I'm not familiar with trucks, but a lot of the 60's era cars had/have frame rot. While it can generally be fixed, why start with a major problem.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:06 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Look very closely at the front windshield posts and hinge pillars and around the drip rails for rust or signs of repair. That is a real problem area on these and not easily fixed. You can buy every piece of sheetmetal for that style Chevy EXCEPT those areas. I had to pass on a really solid '63 Panel because those areas were rusted out on it. The only rust on the whole darn truck.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:06 PM

thanks for the help so far guys. I'll be sure to double check everything before i make any decisions. Anything else you guys can suggest checking is more than welcome.

Cheers

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.