Newbie - First paint experience - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 03:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Newbie - First paint experience

Hello all, just another newbie here and hoping to find some help. Last summer I supposedly redid (redecked and repainted) a car hauler trailer that I have. I wire wheeled the frame and fenders, in some spots down to bare metal. Most of the fenders were down to bare metal. Other spots I just repainted over the old paint. When I first did this, the trailer looked great. Then winter came. The trailer sat out in the cold, usually covered in a few inches of snow. When I came out to use it again this spring, most of my edges, have surface rust already showing through. I used a product that I got form a local auto paint store, and was told by the salesman that I just had to sand down the existing rust and spray my new paint. It was an enamel paint that they said they used on frames all the time. Pre mixed so I couldn't screw it up, and ready to shoot.

What has happened here? Should I have primed first, or undercoated? Am I even using the right words here?

Obviously I am going to have to repaint again this year, but it does not need to be a show finish, but I would like it to look decent. What can you guys suggest for me? Also , not looking to spend a large amount of money on the redo, but my time really isn't an issue. But there is a good possiblity that there will be some waiting between prep and paint stages. Thanks to all and I will post pics up here soon of the first result and what we have now. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 06:52 PM

Last photo:

Best thing would be to get it sandblasted. But heres what you can do:
Prep it as you did before, paying particular attention to areas where the paint is trying to "lift". If it's started to flake up, it will just continue to do so no matter what you put on top of it.
Then run down to Home Depot, Or Lowes, and grab a gallon of RustOLeum,
In the preferred color, and a Gallon of Laquer thinner and a quart of mineral spirits. Mix about half mineral spirits to laquer thinner to make a full quart.
Pour off just under a quart of paint, (save it) Then top up the gallon with laquer thinner/mineral spirits, and stir it up good. Paint your trailer.
Use the quart of remaining paint for touch ups, lawn furniture, etc.

If you decide to get it sandblasted. Have your RustOLeum ready and paint it as soon as you get it back.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:07 AM

Last photo:

Okay, that sounds decent. But just rustoleum is what I should get? Just cause its cheaper?

I dont really think the paint is lifting. I have some pictures that I'll put up on here. Tell me what you think. As soon as photobucket lets me log in, I'll post them up.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Sin Vertis Stratio

Last photo:

The Rustoleum is just good paint for the application, do get all the rust off that you can and anything that is loose.

Merlin
Old 04-07-2010, 05:42 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I used that rust o lium on a few pieces of equipment around the shop,I liked it. I also used their primer.Just scuff off the loose rust and prime then paint.I used a brush on one and a gun on the other ....the gun worked much better with less coats.Everything you need to know is on the can. I wouldnt use it on my car but for trailers and such it works pretty darn good.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:21 PM

Last photo:

Good to know. Now do I need a primer with rustoleum? or is the paint by itself fine? In the areas where I am not having any problems, can I just scuff and spray over the old paint?
Old 04-08-2010, 12:43 PM

Rustolium has its own primer to use.....scuff,clean with wax& grease remover,shoot....pretty simple...It reduces with something like toulene or something(cant remember) you'll have to pick up a qt of that too.I got everything at Lowes.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:45 PM

Last photo:

Okay, sorry, but that missed the thing up here between my ears. So was that a yes or no? I understand rustoleum has their own primer to use, but did I need it. What I used before I did not use with a primer. Was that my problem.

And sorry about not getting any pics up here but photobucket hasnt allowed me to log in for about two weeks now for some reason. We have been sending emails back and forth so hopefully we are closing in on the issue. Thanks
Old 04-08-2010, 03:02 PM

I'd say the primer is most important. its made just for that. the paint seals it all up against the elements.Its been a few years now and it hasnt rusted again.But ,like you say,I just wanted to cover the rust ,nothing spectacular...there are paints that dont need primers but I haven't used them.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:51 PM

Last photo:

Finally got some pics hosted after giving up on photobucket.

So what is the situation?
Old 04-14-2010, 08:54 PM

the rustolium will work for that ,mine was way worse.get the primer too.brush or spray it if you spray it it'll have to be reduced read the back of he can for the proper reduction... just wisk the rust with a wire hand brush first.
if you go to lowes you'll find it easy
Old 04-16-2010, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

Okay, can you give me a little more detail on the wisking? When I did it before I used a wire wheel on an electric grinder. Should I do that again or just use a wire hand brush? How about a 3m pad? Thanks for all the help so far DBM!
Old 04-16-2010, 03:35 PM

Last photo:

I am thinking I will go ahead and repaint the whole trailer. Can I prime over the existing paint? Do I only need to prime where I use the wire brush or wheel?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:35 PM

Last photo:

Can I use the same product on the wheels as well?
Old 04-17-2010, 05:16 AM

Sure, you can use a wire wheel....What I did is mix up some car wash in a bucket and wash the trailer with a scuff pad and comet(a coarse scouring cleanser).....then hit the rust spots quick (to get the ruff stuff off) Then prime and paint..I just smoothed the rust a little I didn't take it all off or go down to the metal. I painted right over it...
not the way you would want do a car but for my trailer it worked fine and has held up for a few years now.
I also painted a few things around the shop with the same stuff... like my 10' roll around stairs that were very rusted from being left outside for two years I did them about five years ago and they look great (no rust at all) but they haven't been outside.
The color choices are limited ,safety yellow ,red ,black, thats about it.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.