Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Newbie follies (part 2) - please help me learn from my mistakes
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

And we are back. Overall, it appears as though the center is heavier than the ends. You mentioned on a previous thread that you where using a "turbo" gun if I'm correct and that your maximum pressure is 8 to 10 pounds at the gun. You also mentioned that you couldn't raise your pressure, so I need to ask a question and perhaps you have given me the information but...what size of compressor are you using.

At first glance of your spray pattern it looks as though you need more air...or less material being put through the gun. The pattern seems a little "fat" as well, more pressure could even out the center. Also remember that the gauge you have may not be completely accurate and the 8 to 10 pounds is a guideline more than a hard and fast rule. More pressure or less fluid and practicing technique will help reduce Orange Peel

Clear coat....Clear coat does like to breathe at least for 6 months depending on temperature, I wouldn't stack the panels for some time now. Clear coat can be repaired anytime after it has cured, for example, repairs are done on vehicles that are 10 years old or older, the repair works fine as long as the clear makes for a good substrate. Clear coat like anything. deteriorates over time, harsh sunlight (UV's) can deteriorate clear as well as salt or other abrasives that come in contact with clear coat...even just daily use over time will effect the integrity of clear coat.

You've waited for a bout a week, the clear should be set up enough to do a repair. Clear can be polished anytime after it has set up. The longer you wait after set up, often the harder it is to cut and buff clear...also the brand of clear you use has a bearing on polishability. We can discuss products at another time if you like...but...the quality of the product has a direct bearing on how the product polishes. Some clears are actually designed to be polished.

Hope this helps...keep the questions coming and I will answer to the best of my ability.

Ray