Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Newbie follies (part 2) - please help me learn from my mistakes
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 01:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

strange - the pics are not showing up for me here on my computer at work. Seems like you were able to see them though. The unit is a Fuji Q4, a 4 stage turbine. It is the most powerful one they have and the one they recommend for shooting heavier paint like latex. I used a 1.4 tip. I looked it up again and I'll correct my prior report in that they report the pressure at the cap is 8.5 PSI. The only way to get more would be too remove the air valve from the hose. I doubt it causes much restriction but it might be worth taking it out anyway.

I should have kept better notes, but it was hard to do with all that gear on. I recall you saying that a really thin fluid will have a pattern heavier on the ends and lighter in the middle (I think that's what you said....). So I tried to lower the fluid output never was able to get it to spray heavier on the ends of the pattern. If I recall correctly I closed down enough that I started to lose fan width and then it was spraying really dry. Looks like I'll be buying some more cheap paint and doing some more testing. Since it won't be finish work I can just use the respirator and spray outside.

What do you mean by the pattern looks "flat"? Flat in what respect? (edit) sorry, just re-read, you said "fat". It should be thinner? The pattern I think was about 1.5 to maybe 2 inches tall when it hit the cardboard. I just sprayed a bit to get it to really drip so it spread. That silver patch in the last pic is probably the most accurate.

Last edited by IPT; 08-19-2013 at 01:30 PM.