Newbie Forum - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Help
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2003, 08:40 PM
Missing You

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Newbie Forum

How about a forum for the new guys to introduce theirselves and their cars and keep newbie intros separate from the lounge?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2003, 08:47 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

but it sounds good to me... would cut down on a lot of lounge congestion....

oh moderatorly one!
Old 10-12-2003, 10:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Good idea.

The only disadvantage I can think of is that it might reduce the amount of members that greet new members, because their introductions aren't "mainstreamed" in the Lounge, but hidden in another forum. We'll try it out though.

What can we name it? I saw someone introduce themselves today in the Introduction to Hotrodding forum. When you look at the name of the forum, that's a very easy mistake to make. So, we either need to NOT include the word "Introduction" in the new member forum, or we need to rename the Introduction to Hotrodding forum.

Someone was just PMing me the other day to say that the Hotrodders.com Q&A forum name was a little confusing. I think it's the "Q&A" part that gets new members.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:56 AM
Missing You

Last photo:

I think Joe at the Bronco forum has the sections set up well. http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/index.php

Have you played with the sub-forums feature at all, Jon? If you check the Bronco forum, and go down and click testing there is a sub-forum.

That being said, maybe you could move Introduction to Hotrodding as a sub-forum of General Hotrodding section. Have an Introductions forum for newbies, and rename the Q&A to Site Suggestions and Feedback.

Our newbie forum always has a group, like a "welcoming committee" that welcomes the newbs and points them in the right direction for finding things. I think it works out well.

If you make a newbie forum, you could make a post in the Lounge, letting the old skool members know the forum is there, and to remember to welcome folks.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:10 PM

I've tooled around with the subforums idea. Unfortunately, subforums aren't visible from the forum home page, unless we're willing to produce a more server-intensive front page. I've thought of placing a Knowledge Base subforum in each of the tech forums though.

I've renamed HR Q&A to Site Suggestions and Help.

Any ideas on what to name the newbie forum? "Newbie" is a little derogatory and might be intimidating. Or a new name for the Introduction to Hotrodding forum?
Old 10-16-2003, 05:52 PM
Missing You

Last photo:

Do we really need Intro to Hotrodding AND General Rodding Tech? Why can't they be combined? You could say something about it in the description of the forum?
Old 10-16-2003, 06:40 PM

I definitely think we need both. I see General as a place to put tech posts that don't fit in any particular forum (how do I get a title for my rod, etc.), whereas Introduction to Hotrodding is more intended to be a depository for the "how much hp", "where do I start", "what machine work do I need to get done" questions. We're going to be seeing a lot more questions moved into the Introduction to Hotrodding forum when the mods are all set up. When I look through Body-Exterior or Engine, I see many questions that should be moved into the Introduction forum.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:24 PM
former member of HR.com

Last photo:

Read this first: THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO EVERY SINGLE NEW MEMBER.

OK having said that, often it becomes very clear that a new member has not read the posting guidelines. This creates a great deal of clutter and noise in whatever tech forum or lounge the member posts in.

I think a newbie forum should be initiated so that new members who are not familiar with the guidelines can figure it out without having to take a technical thread in a gazaillion directions. It needs to be some kind of a "Boot Camp" where newbies can figure out manners and posting protocol.

This is an extremely large bulletin board, and I don't know if that is a "goal" or what not, but the more people that join, the more newbie post problems we are asking for. If you "constrain" newbies to posting to a particular forum for say the first 25 or 50 posts, you'd be doing us all a favor, and we could get an idea of what to expect from new members. Newbies could read from any forum, but would be limited to posting to the "Newbie" forum until he/she learns the rules.

The more adept or functional a poster is, then the moderator could remove the restriction earlier if need be. Lets just call it a "Newbie Boot Camp" or something along those lines so it can be viewed as a learning experience instead of a "babysitting" experience. If particular expertise is needed, a moderator could PM one of the subject matter experts to join the forum.

It just seems like its getting hard to "walk around" in here without "elbowing" into someone who does not understand how to post or what to ask and so on. I have been on a small handful of other newsgroups, and the tolerance level here goes far beyond the "call of duty" which may not be a bad thing. But to compensate for extra tolerance, perhaps "learning the ropes" should be a part of the package.

This would cut down on a lot of aggravation from experienced users AND IT WOULD WEED OUT TROLLS. I think trolls have such a short attention span, it would be really difficult for them to get past 25 or 50 posts just to start ***** with veterans.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:40 PM
Psychotic

Last photo:

Hows about just calling it "Please introduce yourself" and putting it in first on the forum list, then all newbies will see it, it sounds nice and polite and I am sure that if the newbies are genuine they will want to post there.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:31 PM
Missing You

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaylah

This would cut down on a lot of aggravation from experienced users AND IT WOULD WEED OUT TROLLS. I think trolls have such a short attention span, it would be really difficult for them to get past 25 or 50 posts just to start ***** with veterans.

Woah, are you suggesting a locked down newbie forum where they can't access the rest of the board until they hit a certain number of posts?
Old 10-23-2003, 04:12 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

I suggested that quite awhile back also. It would give the older members a chance to see what they are like, we could interact with them in that forum, and as Kaylah stated, if they are here to troll they will not want to hang around. I don't know about 50 post but 10-15 would be a good number and they could have that accomplished in a few days. The older members would just have to be sure to visit that forum and aid them along in getting their post accomplished. If they just start posting nonsense to get the 10 then that would be a red flag. More than 10-15 postings will drive away people that are very knowledgeable that ran across this site from either word of mouth or doing a search. A notice could also be put up that that's the way it is because of the troll problem. If someone is interested they will hang around and get their 10 post. If they don't like it...Adios. Also I think somewhere under the Username, a newbie ought to have the title Newbie attached until he reaches so many postings. Say maybe 100. This is done on other sites as well. After 100 then they could tag on any title they want under their username. Just my opinion.

Kevin
Old 10-23-2003, 07:49 AM
former member of HR.com

Last photo:

Yes BBB...a "Lockdown" is a good way to put it. Maybe 50 posts is a bit high, but 15-25 might not be all that unreasonable. But this is only on POSTING. They could access and search everything available, but would be "locked down" on posting until say 25 posts in the newbie forum.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:04 AM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I agree with Kaylah.
I think they should have to use the Knowledge a certain amount of times also.
On the name of the Forum you can call it Hotrodders 101, this sounds more like a college type of intro. and not demeaning in any word.
My .02 worth.
George
Old 10-23-2003, 12:25 PM

Plenty of good ideas here.

Quote:
This is an extremely large bulletin board, and I don't know if that is a "goal" or what not, but the more people that join, the more newbie post problems we are asking for.
Yes, it's a goal. Not just to increase the size of the community, but to encourage intelligent growth, so it gets better as it gets larger.

Quote:
It just seems like its getting hard to "walk around" in here without "elbowing" into someone who does not understand how to post or what to ask and so on. I have been on a small handful of other newsgroups, and the tolerance level here goes far beyond the "call of duty" which may not be a bad thing. But to compensate for extra tolerance, perhaps "learning the ropes" should be a part of the package.
This sounds like a very adept assessment to me. Good analogy too .

Quote:
Hows about just calling it "Please introduce yourself" and putting it in first on the forum list, then all newbies will see it, it sounds nice and polite and I am sure that if the newbies are genuine they will want to post there.
Keep in mind that all new members get an automatic PM from me upon registering on the board, that reminds them to introduce themselves. It's very carefully worded, but we could refine it for our purposes. You can read it in the attachment to this post. (Note: the attachment does not display that the word "Guidelines" is a link to our guidelines; and that the [member name] text is replaced by the member's actual screen name).

Quote:
I don't know about 50 post but 10-15 would be a good number and they could have that accomplished in a few days.
I agree.

Quote:
Also I think somewhere under the Username, a newbie ought to have the title Newbie attached until he reaches so many postings.
I disagree. I think newbie is a derogatory term, whether it's meant that way or not. Besides, it's redundant -- their post count already serves to indicate their status as a new member.

Quote:
They could access and search everything available, but would be "locked down" on posting until say 25 posts in the newbie forum.
Agreed (on the concept, not necessarily the number of posts).

Quote:
On the name of the Forum you can call it Hotrodders 101, this sounds more like a college type of intro. and not demeaning in any word.
Excellent! "101" is perfect. Indicates "newbie-ness" numerically .

So we will have 2 forums for these purposes.

One is our current Introduction to Hotrodding forum, for people new to hotrodding to ask questions. The other is (essentially) our "Introduction to Hotrodders.com" forum, for people new to our community to ask questions about posting on the board, etc.

I'm thinking maybe we should rename the Introduction to Hotrodding forum to "Hotrodding 101" or something along those lines, and then establish a forum for new members to post in until they have X posts (15?). So, "Hotrodding 101" would be a TECH forum, but for basic questions. And the new member forum would be for basic site questions, and to get the feel of posting, etc.
Attached Files
File Type: txt new_pm.txt (869 Bytes, 63 views)
Old 10-23-2003, 02:54 PM
Psychotic

Last photo:

Only thng that worries me a bit about the newbie lockdown, what if newbies all start posting their technical questions on the newbie forum, how are you going to keep track of the questions as they will not be able to post to the relevant forum.
I think the best idea to get rid of the trolls is to totally ignore them, and have everyone on the board do the same, if someone purposely carries on posting on a troll thread then ask them politely to stop doing it.
Is the troll problem still bad? I have been busy doing wiring diagrams into colour and have missed quite a few days, so have not kept up to date on what is happening, but it seems like they have dissappeared, or am I just being hopeful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.