Newbie help: 4 cyl vs. V-8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2002, 08:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Newbie help: 4 cyl vs. V-8

Because I'm 20 years old, my friends and I always talk about the differences between a four cylinders and V-8 for sports cars.

Honestly, as most of you can tell when you drive any amount of time, guys my age love to drive Honda Civics and alikes with exhaust and a K&N air filter.

Yes, I drive a Civic as well but I refuse to modify the car at all unless it is further limited my horsepower and increasing gas mileage =) What I will do is explain what my viewpoint on four cylinders (4s from here on out) and V-8s.

4 cyls:
Lighter cars, therefore better handling. Power comes from top end (that means high rps compared to low rpms, right?) and therefore turbos are better accustomed to this type of engine. Because the cars usually have no torque, they are slower of the line but will catch up in the higher rpms. Cheaper insurance, longer life than a V-8. Almost always FWD, sometimes AWD.

V-8:
Heavier cars, lots of HP and lots of torque. Good for 0-60 and straight line driving, but lacks great handling. Usually domestic. Because domestic, bad wrap for engine dependability. Usually RWD.

Can someone explain the validity of my thoughts? Also, this video has an AWD, turbo-ed Eclipse vs. a Twin Turbo C5 Corvette... thought the 3rd round of racing was a little odd because it is contrary to my thoughts: The Eclipse jumps off the lines faster and holds it for 5-6 seconds before the Lingenfelter C-5 passes... thought the torque of that C-5 would throw it farther than a four cylinder eclipse.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2002, 08:21 PM

forgot the URL:

http://media.racingflix.com/videos/l...er_vs_dsm.mpeg
Old 10-29-2002, 06:25 AM
At a loss for words

Well, it really depends on how you build a car. You can take the time and make muscle cars really handle and be able to autocross or you can build them as all out drag cars. It really just depends on what you want to drive. As for lasting longer, that's kind of a myth. If you are doing regular maintenance and have built it right, there is no telling how long it will last.
As for the race you are talking about, with an AWD system, I tend to think that they can make the car hook up better. There is no replacement for displacement though. A V8 is going to be more powerful than a 4 cylinder. Now, you can build powerful 4 cylinders, but you will spend about twice as much. That's the long and the short of it though. I don't want to get into the "whose faster" debate.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.