Newbie, need help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2001, 12:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Newbie, need help

Hello, i am going to build my first Hot Rod, I have yet to purchase the car, still looking for a good deal. but i know what car i want. 63-67 Vette. But i am undecided as to how to build the engine. Latest plan is a 350. I want the car to be as fast as possible, but manageable on the street(freeway). Can burn normaly gas octane. premium gas at most. i am going to buy a new crate motor. NOS is something i am interested in. A friend has a 455 in a 69 firebird. built a monster motor, but cant get all the power to the ground. The car has to kick butt in all aspects(impossible i know).so i leave it in your capable hads. what should i do. Blower, NOS, Turbo, fuel injection, Carbs, Heads, Crank, Transmission, and a good ratio for the rear????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2001, 06:15 PM

first off a 63 to 67 vette is going to cost a fortune, unless you are very well off 20 to 50 thousand bucks is a lot to spend on a car you want to do these things to plus it would be a crime to alter such a fine automobile.Then concider this a corvette is a road machine not a drag racer, although many have been they weren't made for it. my suggestion is try a chevy nova 68 to 74 these cars hook up better than any other GM muscle car, the car is shorter than a camaro but has a longer wheelbase the large rear half puts more weight to the back for quicker weight transfer and the general structure is stronger than camaro or chevelle, even though the chevelle has a full frame, it is also lighter(average 3250)and with a 350 thats less than 10lbs per cubic inch and big blocks fit very nicley in 1970 I owned a 69 375hp 396nova it beat just about every thing it came up against,in 84/85 I raced a 69 nova with a 327 that did 12.26 consistantly at 105mph at lebanon valley dragway.Try a nova you won't be disapointed
Old 12-06-2001, 06:41 PM
Engine Tech Addict

Let's see......if I won the lottory and wanted to build a 67 Vette I would go with a big inch (434 or so) small block - iron block with billet spayed caps, Dart Pro-1 CNC heads, 4340 crank and billet H-beam rods, some high dollar top shelf pistons (take your pick), and roller cam (consult manufacturer for recommendation). Then I'd get in touch with Ken Duttweiller and get hooked up with two fat turbos, an intercooler, and a laptop tunable FI system. Back it up with a 700r4 (or one of the newer ones with a lockup converter) running to an independant rear. Actually, a 5 speed would be fun - I mean, it is a Corvette. Paint it black, add about 1000 watts of noise and go scrounging for hot chicks. At least that's what I'd do.
Old 12-06-2001, 07:22 PM

Arrow

Actually, i know its a shame to modify a bueatiful machine like a vette. but... i have access to a full garage with everything u might possible need to build a car. And i am expecting to spend roughly about 30k over a two year period. do most the work myself(defer to a profesional when needed). but i dont want the car to be a dragster. i want it to look practically stock, and kick *** on the street. the only mods i want are with the engine, trans, and suspension.
Old 12-07-2001, 05:10 PM
Toy builder

Last photo:

Tom is correct about a vette. It aint never gonna be a real good kick butt car.For one thing it has a indendent rear that will brake .30 grand may get you the car and half a paint job.My vote would be the 66-67 nova with a square tube after market front clip.That way you could build motor plates and run anything from a caddy motor to the biggest baddest 800 inch montain motor in it.25 grand and it would make toast out of any vette around(maybe not around corner or saltflats.But yah cant allways have both.LOL Besides vettes are for your girl friend,pretty to look at but not true race cars. Not trying to beat up on yah but if yah do get a vette leave it alone and it will be worth more later.
Old 12-07-2001, 06:00 PM

If you want to do a Mid 60s Vette by all means go ahead.They are not cheap to buy and you will make some people mad modifying one but its your time and money.
It won't run quarter mile times like a Camero, Nova,Chevelle,but it will have class and will in all other respects out drive the others.
My thoughts would be 502 short block,aluminum heads,and may-be 3 dueces. Auto trans ,stall coverter that should help you keep the rear in one piece.
Since you said you wanted somewhat stock looks you will also be limited on tire size which also will help the rearend.
30 grand won't get it done but it would be a big start.
Old 12-09-2001, 11:49 AM

Thanks For Your opinions. I appreciate it. Would anybody have any complaits about modifying a 74 Vette(last year of no smog?). Its Cheaper than a mid 60s vette(not as beautiful) but fundementally the same car. I know the vette is technically not a muscle car its a sports car, but you cant argue with a 427 or a 454.
Old 12-09-2001, 04:27 PM

Cool

I personally don't have a problem with anyone modifying any car or truck.I may not care for what it is or how they did it,thats my choice,so long as it is safely done.
Old 12-10-2001, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

Why don't you try to find a classic that is heading for the scrap heap and save it from becoming a Toyota?I did with a 69 camaro and can claim that it wasn't "destroyed" it was "saved".
Old 12-10-2001, 09:14 PM

hey project69ss, thanks, how is your 69 camero coming along? the camero is one of my favorite cars! especially the 69(great year for most cars) i was hoping to find a vette already modified, or one that needs to be restored, to "save" it. So what would you sugest for a motor. i want something that would kick most "rice burners" and do it in style! I'm going with an auto trans due to how tall i am and the lack of leg room in the older vettes. how spacious is the camero? the original seats are not staying. i have concerns about the rearend, but thats for later.
Old 12-18-2001, 06:43 AM

Last photo:

Hey KILKUBLI,going good here.If you're a low budget builder like me I would go with a small block chevy,new parts are cheap and used parts are even cheaper (if their rebuildable)Northern auto parts,jeg's and summit catalogs are one good source of information(plus they're free)this web site is also a good tool for all your project's.
But if the sky's the limit on money I would go with a big block "crate motor" Richmond 6 speed and a 9"Ford shortened and tubbed in a 1970 chevelle.since I'm dreaming I might as well throw a b&m blower on top.as for space my camaro has plenty for me and the front passenger,and good for the tot's out back
1969 Camaro ss 355 c.i.d. m-21 12 bolt 4:56 750 Edelbrock &performer r.p.m.(for now)http://www.geocities.com/project69ss/photopageflag.html

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.