newbie needs help with fan switch! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2003, 05:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Talking newbie needs help with fan switch!

hi! i'm new to the boards and pretty unexperienced as far as mechanics go. right now i'm learning as i go (waiting for my auto mechanics class to start in a few months) and working on minor repairs through my repair manual.

i have an '86 camaro (IROC) with a major overheating problem... even worse, i live in hawaii and the weather is pretty hot all year round. the fan hasn't been coming on and i've been getting an SES light in stop & go traffic. she runs fine at night, but i can't drive at busy times of the day.

i've replaced the fan motor and radiator cap with no avail. after doing a few internet searches and reading up on other threads on the boards, i've decided to try and replace the fan switch. one problem, though... my haynes repair manual says nothing about this job and i really don't want to mess things up. if anybody's done this job on their car, could you please post a quick run through for me or a good link to one? pictures would be fantastic if they are available. and, of course, any advice on fixing other culprits would be of great help. i'd really appreciate any advice offered -- thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2003, 06:11 PM

Roasted,

We were all newbie's at one time, so just ask away.

The fan switch is in the side tank of the radiator. You should be able to call the dealer to make sure. You could go and buy the switch first and then while you are there ask the person behind the counter if he could look up where this thing is under the hood. I am sure they would do that for you.You will need to buy an extra bottle of coolant too.(antifeeze for us on the main land)
Catch the old stuff and take it to the place you buy the new and they will get rid of it for you. They might charge you a little but it is better to let them get it out of the echo system.
Before you pull this switch out you might try this. Pull the wires off of the switch and then put a wire between the two terminals. Then turn on the key. Do not start the engine just key on. When you do this the fan should start turning. If it doesn't check the fuse for the fan circuit. You didn't say but I am thinking that it doesn't come on when you turn the A/C on either. With that said it is now time to get started on replacing the switch.

To start pull the wires off of the switch and put a box wrench on it and give it a twist(righty tighty, lefty loosey). Once it is loose use your fingers to take it all the way out.
When installing the new switch, put it in first with your fingers. When you are finished fill the raidiator with antifreeze and water. The mix should be 50/50 between water and antifreeze.
once it is filled crank her up and see what happens.
Let me know if I helped.
Scholman
Old 11-24-2003, 06:52 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Quote:
Originally posted by scholman
You didn't say but I am thinking that it doesn't come on when you turn the A/C on either. With that said it is now time to get started on replacing the switch.
If the fan doesn't come on with the A/C either, wouldn't it most likely be the relay at fault?
Old 11-24-2003, 07:05 PM

If you maintain your cooling system regularly, there's no reason not to drain the cooland into a container and pour it right back in after you change the switch. You still may need some extra to replace spills, which are inevitable.

Until you get this job done (BTW, I agree that it could be the relay, rather than the switch), you might try running in the daytime with the heater on full blast. The heater core actually is a small radiator. Of course, the heat is in the cabin instead of outside. Oh, well.

Bill
Old 11-24-2003, 08:02 PM

thanks everybody -- since the relay is fairly inexpensive and easy to replace, i'll try that before moving on to the fan switch.

oh, and all of your assumptions were correct -- the fan doesn't come on when the a/c is blowing.

thanks a lot for all the help. i'll try running the heater until i get a chance to run to checker auto and pick up the part
Old 11-27-2003, 12:40 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

On many cars there are more than 1 relay of the same type as the fan uses. They are usually side by side. Simply switching the relays could tell you if that is the problem. I would also believe that it may be it since the fan doesn't come on with the ac, since the ac doesn't usually run thru the switch.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:51 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

hot runing IROC

Have you done anything to your car prior to the Camaro beginning to run hot? The fan clutch may have gone bad, no kidding there is a clutch in the original fan that can go bad. I have a chevy site I live by, try these guys for more help.

http://www.chevytalk.com/

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.