Newbie Paint Gun Recomendations - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2006, 06:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Newbie Paint Gun Recomendations

Hi everyone,
I know I need to introduce myself. I will do that shortly. I was recommended to this site from another site and they recommend me coming here for professional advice on paint guns. Im in the market for a paint gun. Nothing I will be using everyday, but mainly for repainting the hood, and maybe other body panels when necessary. Im looking for something inexpensive. I painted a car about 20 years ago with a gun that Im not sure who made, but I remember it was an exact copy of the Binks No.7. I still have the gun but haven't used it in years. I have a small compressor that puts out about 7CFM. I see some opinions of the Harbor Freight HVLP gun that gets good reviews here. (I have been doing some looking around). Im scared to get a HVLP gun since I know my compressor wont keep up, and a guy at work bought one to repaint his snowmobile hood, and he is having all kind of problems with it putting down to much paint. A friend of mine in work that does painting (but don't have time to paint my hood cause he just had a baby) said he never used a HVLP gun, he just uses a regular Binks Gravity Feed. For me, and the occasional amount of time I may actually use it, what would you recommend ? I see the Harbor Freight 43430 gun mentioned here a few times. It is a HVLP gun. Would I be better off as a beginner (with a small compressor CFM) using the 91009 which is just a regular gravity feed type gun, or should I just clean up my old Binks No. 7 Knockoff ???
I will be using it to paint my hood on my van. Its a metallic Blue Basecoat/clearcoat type paint

Thank You

Advertisement

Last edited by dannyg402004@yahoo.c; 04-28-2006 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Mispellings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Last photo:

Let me be the first to welcme you to this site. There is a great bunch of folks here that are eager to help if you need it.

If I were you I would not use the Binks #7 any longer. After you play with an HVLP and get the feel for it you will swear at your suction guns. The HF 43430 is an excellent inexpensive gun. I think it will work pretty good with your compressor, but you will have to pause intermittently and wait for the compressor to catch up. Once you get the feel for the HVLP gun then you can buy another 43430 and get a 1.6mm or 1.8mm nozzle set for priming. I have several old Binks suction guns including a #69 that I primed and shot lacquer on the 69 Camaro in my avatar. I would never go back to suction guns.

Vince
Old 04-28-2006, 10:21 PM
X711

Last photo:

I think you will find your compressor will leave you little options for guns
that are low cost and that have low cfm requirements. Your average HVLP
gun typically is in the range of 10 to 14cfm at 30psi.

For what you have I know of one option but it is not cheap. $200

Devilbiss Sri, 4.5cfm at 29psi inlet pressure. 9 1/2" fan width. This gun is classed as a spot gun but it is ideal for painting hoods fenders etc. It will atomize CC / BC /SS very very well with minimal over spray. Its not a knock off gun. Its a Pro gun.

P/N SRI-631G-10

http://www.autorefinishdevilbiss.com/main.php?p=g&id=4

><

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.