Newbie to paint here, few questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 11:28 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Newbie to paint here, few questions

I have a 71 nova that I am seriously considering repainting myself. I have a big enough air compressor, and want to learn a new craft as well.
My first question is, can I rough up the paint that is on it (it was redone sometime ago and the paint job was terrible, however, it is very well bonded to the metal) Then go over that with a filler primer, then shoot color and clear?
Or do I have to strip it to bare metal?
Also, I have been looking at the soda blaster from eastwood, not bad for 300$. But how long does it really take to strip a car with one of those?
And what is flash time between coats? Because I will be making a pvc and tarp paint booth, so I dont have the luxury of using heat lamps to go through.
Anyway, glad to be a part of here. Looks like a great place to be.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

One the rough up part just sand the car down throughly with a 80/100 grit paper to get rid of the scratches and get a good bonding surface for the new paint..yes you can use a good quality primer surfacer for the first (blocking coat) use a good quality wax and grease remover as those will remove silicone's and someone may have used some kind of silicone wax stuff in the past and that does interfere with paint adhesion. Once the primer is on then start the blocking which is the process of making all the panels straight and level..having some 3m guide coat on hand for that is very nice. Once you are satisfied with the body and all the dents are out shoot a final of the primer surfacer so you have a uniform color to paint over...

I am sure you will have some more specific questions..

Sam

When you get to shooting the base the biggest mistake I see is to hammer the base coat on you only need enough base to give full coverage as all base coat does is give the color..Then shoot the clear..

It is not necessary to strip to bare metal as we usually only do that on a full resto that is pretty bad to begin with..

I use my sanders to strip with and only need a spot blaster to get into the jambs and tight spots so I do not need the soda blaster any way so I would not get one.

Once the weather warms up flash times is not an issue as heat is what cures the paint and most all I know about does cure just fine if the metal is above 60 degrees..

Flash time is the amount of time needed to allow the solvents to come out of the fresh paint..If you do not allow sufficient time between coats of paint you can get what we call solvent pop where little bubbles appear in the paint..

Sam
Old 03-19-2009, 11:56 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Well I have been looking at getting a DA sander and some good 100 grit to go over the body with, then I wanted to shoot it with Clausen Z Chrome Rust Defender.
After that I have no idea which primer to shoot it with after I have it blocked and sanded.
I also have no idea which paint type to use after (urethane, acrylic, etc...)
This isnt going to be a show car, but I do want it to look line, and I am wanting to shoot it in a burnt orange color, then take it to a professional body shop to have some flat black stripes layed on it.

Any advice on good (but not insanely expensive) paints?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.