Newbie painting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2003, 05:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Newbie painting

Okay I am sure it has been covered before but i didnt see it so if you would, please either answer my question or point me to the thread that asks it...

I am going to repaint my car because it is butt ugly bronze... How would i go about this, my choices are sand it primer it and then get it professionally painted, primer it on my own and get it professionally painted, or to have it sanded, primed, and painted professionally. Keep in mind i am on a teenagers budget (i.e. 8 bux an hour 23 hours a week). I really just wanna primer it and then get it painted because that seems the cheapest but would that last for say 5-6 years?(i have a garage so it wont sit in the sun too much). Thank you for the help i know you can give me!...

Tissue

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2003, 05:50 PM

Depending on what kind of car it is take it to mako, they don't do to bad of jobs, but i just did mine in my garage , and it came out mint, save yourself lots of money, go to your local paint supply store and they will hook u up, just my 2 cents, good luck!!!
Old 07-19-2003, 06:05 PM

OKay, maybe i will do it myself but should i sand it and primer it or put primer right over the old paint? Also, is it true you have to "bake" the paint on?
Old 07-19-2003, 07:45 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

First thing you need to do is get a book and read about paint and body work. You do not just primer over old paint. The most important part of a paint job is the preparation. If it isn't done right, the job could look worse than if you did nothing at all. Specially if you place your wallet on the car(minus the bucks you spent on the paint) when you look at it.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:24 PM

If there is a Tech school in the area that teaches bodyshop that would be a great start because you copuld work on it at school and drive it home at the end of class.
As far as priming it or sanding and priming it, if your paint on your paint is in good shape and it is the original paint and depending on what type paint it is you should use the original paint as the base. I have been to school to paint and I work in a paint supply shop and anyone will tell you that if your original paint is in good shape and it is not Laquer start with that as the base. You also need to know what type paint you want to use to paint your car ie. base/clear, acrylic enamel, acrylic laquer etc. This will also determine how to prep the car.
You do not have to bake the paint if you don't want to. Today's modern paints all dry by chemical reaction and heat just speeds the process up.
You can paint at home just make sure your neighbors won't freak out.
Check with your local paint store to begin with, most people behind the counter are knowledgeable enough to help you out.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:11 PM

Last photo:

Tissue, The most important thing of all has been left out here and that is the safty issue! the first thing to do is buy a GOOD paint respirator,learn how to use it properly and how to take care of it so the filters will still work when you need them. A paper mask will NOT provide any protection at all! Todays paints and additives will not just make you sick they will KILL you if you are not carefull! No need to be afraid to paint just head the warnings and be carefull. Remember a good looking paint job will not mean much if you are to sick to drive.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:08 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Tissue: Listen to what OldRed says, The fumes of modern paint will kill you. I`m speaking from experience, I have paint poison in my lungs, and it does`t get any better.

You will not need any primer, unless you have repaired places.
After sanding use a good two part sealer, and the paint of your choice. hth Good Luck,

Troy,

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.