Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - newbie question
Thread: newbie question
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 09:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

newbie question

Hey all,

New to painting and will be taking on my first job on the 1977 CJ5 I am building. I am hoping to paint this weekend. I have painted some small parts so far but nothing this large yet. I bought the sharpe FX3000 with the 1.3 tip to do the job. I had the harbor frieght gun that was pretty beat up so I def. needed to get a new one. I got my paint today which is the dupont chromo base and matching clear I believe or it may be the montana clear. Anyway I have read so many contradicting things on how to setup the gun that I am not sure how to go about it. I have a regulator on the gun so I read to leave the air valve on the bottom fully open correct??? The gun manual says maximum HVLP inbound air pressure 29psi so that is with the trigger fully open right?? I also have the fluid knob about 2 1/2 turns out. I have the compressor set at right around 90. Does all this sound about right??? Also the base color I got was a light silver metallic which was prolly not the smartest choice for my first big job. I read it will prolly be best to do a mist coat at the end to even it all out. Do I add more reducer for this??? I believe the base says 1 to 1 with the reducer and the clear is 4 to 1 with activator. Sorry for all the questions I just wanted to try and get this right the first time. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Also I believe it says that I only needed to wait 15 min to 1/2 hour to clear over the base, is this correct? I thought I needed to tack rag the base off before I cleared?