Hot Rod Forum banner

Newbie question here...but not totally ignorant person :)

985 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  bigbad66chevelle 
#1 ·
Hey,

First post so I'd like to say hi to everyone. I am looking at getting a '42-48 Ford coupe/sedan and neadless to say it's pretty overwehelming coming from the world of imports (where everything is simplified :) ). Anyway here is the question :

1. I'd like to do a full engine swap (of the original flathead of course) to a chevy 350 HO, with a matching automatic transmission. How and what would I need to do this completely (engine, intake, manifold, exhaust, ignition system, etc.) and successful? Keep in mind that I want to basically start from scratch.

Sorry to be so clueless so far but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beau

#2 ·
HEY BEAU: Welcome aboard. Only dumb qustion is the one that does't get asked. My first suggestion would be go to local newsstand a get a copy of Streetrodder or other hot rod magazine and look at advertisers who offer kits for such installations. They all have websites that show their catalogs with all of their goodies. Also on this website click on " ARTICLES" there is a wealth of info about many projects. Keep posting your questions and GOOD LUCK .Dave E Shank

#5 ·
do you realize that you have to replace the rear end also? and build all the rear suspension brackets or convert to parallel leafs these old fords have a closed driveshaft and a buggyspring rear that is not economically adapted to an auto trans. I have eight of them from 41-48 ford and merc. the easiest is a 8" ford rear or 10 bolt nova camaro with a parallel kit from chassis engineering.

#6 ·
Thanx for the link cuda66.

Yea I realized I had to get the rear too, so I'm looking into a 9" rear from pro-link as well as a independent front kit. Are crossovers included with any of those two or do I need to buy that seperately?

Beau

#8 ·
Welcome to the sport! To avoid getting burnt out I would suggest you start with a plan and a budget and a definate idea of what you want to end up with. If you want to go for the Pro-street style then the 4 link 9" rear end is probably a good idea, but if you want to cruise it'll ride like crap. If you want to cruise rod runs and local hangouts look at some of the new air suspensions, if you want to go on 1500 mile drives look at the Mustang suspension kits and semi eliptic kits for the rear or even the original front suspension with a dropped axle and coilover shocks in the rear. Lately the flatheads a really gaining a lot of ground in the nostalgia movement and nothing looks as good a dressed up flathead. If you go that way you can drive and fix and not have a ton of iron resting in your shop. Go to local rod run and talk to some of the rodders around you, you might be surprised at how much help is out there. Enjoy :cool:

#9 ·
First thing I would do is find a engine from around 74-79 and rebuild it to your specs. These require almost no wiring and no off engine ignition parts. all you need is the HEI unit and the wires going to your starter and alt. The TH-350 trannys have the best gear ratio to strength ratio I have found. TH 400's are good but geared higher and have more mass. 700r4's and 2004r's hve a over drive and better low end gearing but if your engine is too strong you might mess them up they have been knowen to be weak. I figure you are a fan of fuel injection as you came from imps. but carbs are much funner to work with. and cheeper too. Id say go with all aftermarket engine parts thats what im doing if you look in summit you can find rebuild kits 9:1+ comp. starting at 200.00 they have gaskets, freeze plugs, oil pump, new pistons, rings, etc. this will get you plenty of power for your ride. Just remember do it once do it right. good luck

#10 ·
welcome aboard,are you on a budget?if so you probably arent going to buy it all at summit racing,maybe you could look at something like buying a 1970 nova or something with a bad body and frame but a good drive train.when your going to build a frankinstien it doesn't hurt to have a few bodies laying around.
first you need to set a budget, then double it.
:D

#11 ·
Hey Beau,
Before ya go chopping it up, you should know that there's another option.
You could stay with the nostalgic value of the car by rebuilding that flathead. There are some performance parts available for them, and I saw on TV there's a company out in California that can even pour new babbit bearings in your block.
You'll never get that flathead out perform the SBC, but there is a certain nostalgic coolness to a flathead. After all, those were the engines that were available when the great American pastime of hotrodding began.

Of course I don't have a lot of room to talk, with my '54 F100 with the smallblock Chevy in it. Just wanted to mention the flathead option, because, in the long run, it might be easier, and maybe even worth more with a prettied up flathead in it.

#12 ·
Hey Beau,
you're not really going to take out that beautiful flathead for a boring Chevy 350 are you? are you? I can almost promise you you will regret that... anyways I agree with Busted Knuckles except for the part about a flathead not keeping up with a small chevy. Flatheads can be wickedly nasty and all of the performance parts are still around. Flathead Jack's sells every thing you'll need, and if you want the wildest looking induction system to ever sit on top of an, engine check out <a href="http://www.hotrodcarbs.com" target="_blank">www.hotrodcarbs.com</a> <a href="http://www.hotrodcarbs.com" target="_blank">web page</a>are

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.