Newbie question-primer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 04:16 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Newbie question-primer

Hey! I've been reading on this site for the last couple of weeks and I've got to start by saying just how impressed I am with all the great painting info. I've found here. Super job guys!!

I have a drag car that needs painting. After pricing around I've decided that what I'd like to do is prep the car myself and then pay a pro to check behind me for mistakes and shoot the paint. Since I haven't even decided on a color yet, much less a type or brand of paint, I'm unsure what type of primer I should use. Don't want to find out down the road that I've limited my paint options because of the kind of primer I've put on the car so, is there a "universal" primer that any type of paint can be sprayed over?

Also, it may take me a couple of months to get the car ready for paint and I'm unwilling to miss a weekend of racing. The car will be hauled and raced on the weekends regardless of how awful it looks at the time so, it will be exposed to some weather I'm sure.

Would epoxy primer fit the bill? Urethane perhaps?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2005, 05:23 PM
Have Gun, Will Paint

I found that k2 urethanes are best "universal" primers that just about all other paints can go over with no problems.........but k2's don't offer much protection and since you will be using it as it is primered then Epoxy is the way to go.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:53 PM

Last photo:

Thanks! I guess I should have said that the majority of car will be bare metal. I may even strip the whole thing of it's old paint since there likely won't be much left by the time I get the rust and dings taken care of.

I'm still reading and learning but I'm thinking that it's going to come down to a choice between bc/cc and acrylic urethane depending on price and the painters preference. What I've read here as pretty much eliminated enamel as a possiblity.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:35 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

I did a 69 and it was epoxy primer for a whole race season.
It looked ALOT better than bare metal. as well as keeping the metal protected alowing minimal work to ready for paint.
The following fall,I sanded and Featherfill'd it (polyester primer/filler),blocked and shot it the following spring.
Well worth the trouble now as it will save time later.

Old 03-22-2005, 05:26 AM

Last photo:

Good looking ride! Looked pretty doggone good even in primer. Yep, saving a little time is ALWAYS a good thing to a racer. lol
The more I read here the more I'm thinking that maybe I can take the car from start to finish myself rather than having someone else do the paint. Now that the weather is warming up I should be able to really get going on the prep work so we'll see how it goes. My biggest fear is that my car will disappear into body shop limbo for weeks or even months and I'll miss half the season.
I need to get some primer and get busy. Any recommendations as far as brands go? We have a Finishmaster in town that sells, I think, Dupont stuff and a couple of NAPA stores but I don't think either of them does paint. I assume they could order it for me from another store though.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:16 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebu
...and a couple of NAPA stores but I don't think either of them does paint. I assume they could order it for me from another store though.
I know the local NAPA stores around me have all gone out of the paint business except for primers. I'm not sure if this is a store by store decision or if headquarters is recommending that they all drop their paint lines. I visited one of the stores a couple weeks ago for some "advice" and primer and walked out with nothing. Not only have they dropped their finish paints, they seem to have dropped their knowledge of paints as well. I'd be interested to hear if this is true in other parts of the country as well.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:21 AM

Last photo:

Well, I just called the NAPA closest to me and they no longer sell paints or primers. Asked for the location of the nearest store that does and it looks like out of the 6 stores in a 20 mile radius of me that only 1 still sells paint. The man I talked to acted as though I was foolish for even asking...

Anyone familiar with Nason epoxy? I was just reading the product sheet for it and it says that you need to use "metal etch" on bare metal before applying. At the risk of sounding totally like a girl.....what the heck is metal etch? Acid? Is it really necessary if the panel is well scuffed?
Old 03-22-2005, 08:30 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,044 Posts
Cboy, there are about 7000 NAPA stores in the US with about 6500 of them being privately owned. Each of these privately owned stores have what they want on the shelves. Well, to a point, they have to have a certain percentage of NAPA labeled products. The company stores will usually carry the paint line as "an example" to encourage the others to do the same. But only a small percentage do.

Out of the 77 stores I serviced as a M-S paint rep only 17 had paint, with only about eight of those being serious in the business.

In 1936 when NAPA first took on the paint line, that was the only way you bought auto paint, at a parts store. It was a small line with probably less than a hundred products (well in '36 it was probably only about 50 numbers). It was easy for a "partsman" to sell a little paint. But we all know what has happened to the paint industry, it has going overwhelming for a lot of parts stores. I lost a few when I was a rep. You can't believe the amount of stores with a mixing system out in the back with old hardened up toners on it

The thing is, EVERY SINGLE one of these 7000 stores can get you any paint product you want, outside of a mixed color. They can even get you a mixed color from another NAPA IF they really want to. So, if you have a part number, you can tell them and they will order it in for you. I know the NAPA store is the only connection many people have to the outside world in a small town. If you want a price list (the closest thing to an M-S catalog) you could get one and then walk in with the part numbers so they an order it for you.

Brian
Old 03-22-2005, 08:36 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,044 Posts
See if you can find a store in your area what sells SPI epoxy primer, they are located in Georgia, I am sure there are some distributors in SC. As far as the NAPA, if you walked in there with this part number "GAL5121" you WILL get a gallon of black epoxy primer. Get two of part number "QT5123" and you will have the hardener. It sucks that you would have to beg the jerk to sell you something but if that is the only way you can do it, there is a way. But before I did that I would search out the SPI, they are happy to help you, they like to sell paint products

Brian
Old 03-22-2005, 09:46 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Thanks for the NAPA info Martinsr. Interesting.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:10 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

You really should look at the mailorder companies on the internet
and check out Ebay too.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

I used Nason epoxy on it!
With no etch primer.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:18 PM

Last journal entry: My 1962 Falcon
Last photo:

Napa

I checked with our Napa dealer, and he told me he can get me anything i want. It may not be Napa brand, but he told me he can get me anything. This is good to know, and he is a heck of a body and paint man himself, so will be a big help to me when im ready. The painting part scares me. I did a fair job on my 17 T last year, but far from perfect.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:56 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the responses! I read Brian's post yesterday and promptly took off for the NAPA store thinking that I should just be glad that I had one within driving distance that still sells paint. They didn't act like they wanted to sell me the primer because I'm not a pro...it does say on the can that it's not for retail sales...but relented simply because I had those part numbers written down and seemed aware of the hazardous nature of the product. I'd decided to just get 2 quarts and a pint of catalyst since I don't know how long it will be before I get around to using up a gallon and I didn't want it to go bad before I could use it. Also picked up a can of wax & silicone remover. When they told me the total at the register I about chit a brick! Had to physically close my mouth. lol They charged me $40.62 per quart for the primer and $26.02 for the catalyst!! I realize that it's usually slightly cheaper to buy a gallon rather than quarts but unless this stuff usually runs around $160 a gallon I just got hosed. I took it because I'd had to work so hard to convince them to sell it to me that I'd have felt like a total fool backing down then but.....in the light of day today I wish I'd told them where to stick it.
I'm stuck with it now...feel pretty sure they won't take it back...and I guess I learned a valuable lesson. Won't be buying anything else from them. I should have checked with SPI or simply shopped around until I found someone who actually wanted my business. Live and learn, I guess....
Old 03-23-2005, 05:41 AM

Last photo:

There sure seems to be alot of jerks working the parts stores these days, I've read numerous posts where the customer has gotton the runaround and poor service. It's to bad customer service is going away. The stores here in my area are the exact opposite. When a novice purchases paint products they take the time to discuss it's use and also saftey precautions, the MSDS and tech sheet for the product is quickly copied off and handed to the purchaser for reference. The store should realize if they took care of you well then you'd be back to buy more products in the future. Very stupid sales approach IMO. Is the population that high that there is an unlimited amount customers in this area? If the store has nobody there that is knowledgeable enough to discuss the product use then that is completely stupid, or they are just to cheap. Find yourself a good supplier that can answer questions and treat you fair.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.