Newbie Questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 07:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Newbie Questions

Hello all. I have been trolling this site for a while now in anticipation of getting my first resto project.

I bought a 1953 Chevy 3100 this week and noticed that someone had attached the fenders by doing a bad weld job to weld plates on the inside of the truck bed, then installing 3/8" bolts to attach the fenders to the bed of the truck.

I am not sure if I can remove the old badly welded on plates, and fix the holes that were drilled in to the side of the truck with out doing more damage than is already there.

I am looking to keep this truck as original as I can and still keep the value in the truck. I was surfing through the LMC Truck website last night and noticed they sold new sides for the 3100. Would this be a viable option while keeping the value in the truck, or would it be worth it to try and pry all the old mounting brackets off the original bed. The bed is in great condition if it weren't for some poorly mounted fenders.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 09:39 AM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

First off, you NEVER buy a project because you think you can restore it and make money off it. You can look ALL DAY long and find THOUSANDS of projects for sale that the owners are taking it in the shorts on because of this. There are a TON of these trucks so there value is only going to be so much. Now you CAN keep costs as low as possible. How much experience in this type of work do you have? What tools do you have? Buying the panels makes it EASIER. You wont have to patch holes and do bodywork on the old panels. BUT you will have the expense of the panels. Filling a few holes in the panels and a little body work doesn't cost much.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:03 PM

Last photo:

Value on older trucks is pretty much abstract. Trucks historically donít bring great returns on investment compared to cars and even then itís risky. In other words itís a loss venture financially.

If youíre not comfortable with reworking what you have then purchasing aftermarket parts is the best option. You wonít hurt the value of the truck.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:56 PM

Thanks guys. I am not looking to fix this truck up to sell. I bought it as a project truck for my son and I, but I didn't want to do anything that would "cheapen" it or loose what value it had by adding aftermarket parts to it. I don't have a lot of experience doing body work, but I have a lot of tools available to me to do what ever I want to this truck.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:20 PM

Last photo:

Thereís three ways to go. Restore it to originality. Not worth the investment in my opinion. Turn it to a hot rod. Doesnít require making it original but cherry when completed. Or, ratrod it. Use whatever parts available to making it functional and unfinished. Basically, ratrods just make it to the primer stage and all patches are crude and not dressed.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:01 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

Can you post up some pictures?

Posting pictures as you go really helps forward progress and lets everyone enjoy the eye candy
Old 01-16-2011, 06:04 PM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperotti
Or, ratrod it. Use whatever parts available to making it functional and unfinished. Basically, ratrods just make it to the primer stage and all patches are crude and not dressed.
RATROD is a term that is thrown around too much. A true rat rod is a piece of junk that drives! They aren't legal in MOST states. And most of them are built because of lack of talent. Just a bunch of cobbled up parts. You should be able to build a nice driver fairly reasonable. And learn and teach your son the RIGHT way to do things. It will make for a better build and something that you can be proud of.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:45 AM

Thanks for the advise guy's. I definatly want to have a dressed up hotrod. If I wanted a ratrod I don't think I would have asked for advise. I will try to post pic's soon.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.