Newbie With A Sewing Machine - Opinions Wanted - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Tack Bradley: Alan is right: Absolutely,............. learn on a home machine before you invest in an industrial machine. Go bback and look at what "teach" had to say.
Sew a lot of straight seams first and then turn some corners. An industrial machine will go a lot faster and be a little overwhelming until you get used to it than any home machine, but you don't need to go fast, you need to be accurate. Dusty fell into a deal (you lucky dog) that none of us will be able to duplicate. I just bought a new Consew 255RB-3 this summer and paid $1600 for it. ( machine, table, etc.) That was the lowest price in the country.
DON'T LET YOUR FINAL PROJECT BE THE FIRST THING YOU SEW on an industrial machine. It won't be anyway because you will make mistakes. If you don't make any mistakes , give me your recomendation( is that spelled right) for a bet on the Daytona 500 before Sunday, or the World Series. I've been doing this for 34 years, and I just made a big (but not uncorrectable) sewing mistake today. All of you: Practice make perfect. Practice before wasting your time and money on a new (or faster) machine.

Advertisement

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 02-16-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Dusty: If you don't want that Juki, let me know. That's a step above my Consews. I'm glad you took my advise and had it gone over by a pro, It will last forever for you. The Consew 226R I have now has lasted 18 years with three tune-ups, and I use it every day. you lucky (@%$#(*) guy. BTW, your wife was right on the money as far as sewing practice (not in marrying you. JUST KIDDING).

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 02-16-2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:28 PM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
BTW, your wife was right on the money as far as sewing practice (not in marrying you. JUST KIDDING).
Hey - you been talking to her? That's what she says. Oh well, after 19 years, she's stuck with me now. I'm too old to try to train another one. Yeah, right...

I've decided I'm going to try to learn how to use the machine. It's in the shop still (I found out Friday that one of their techs is on vacation, so they're running a bit behind) but as soon as it gets home, I'm going to put it back on the table and give it a good go. I have some old canvas, denim, and a bit of old vinyl out in the garage that I'm going to practice with.

I've been playing with the borrowed Brother machine, and am getting better at keeping a straight line. I'm finding that in tight corners, I actually take my foot off of the pedal and turn the machine by hand, one stitch at a time, until I get through the corner. It's slow going, but the result is worth it - at least as far as practice goes...

I was originally going to give this machine to an upholsterer in exchange for doing my boat's interior, but now I've decided that if I practice with it for a few months, I can do that interior myself and still have the machine for use in my panel van - if I ever get it to that point. In looking at my boat's interior, the upholstery is very simple - all flat panels, with no curves at all. I know I can do this. I figure it'll make a great first project.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Absolutely, start with something simple. It doesn't matter if you go slow or one stitch at a time as long as it gets done right. Speed comes with experience. What kind of boat?
Old 02-18-2007, 02:46 PM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:

It's a 16' Larson tri-hull with the walk-through windshield. One of those open bow fishing boats. It has the lounge seats that fold out into a bed, but I'll probably buy those new - the old ones were beyond salvage. I'm currently waiting for the weather to warm up so I can do some fiberglass work on the floor, then it gets new carpet and upholstery. With the help and encouragement you, Armysniper, and Alan have given me, I know I can do this myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bow1.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	18642   Click image for larger version

Name:	dash.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	18643   Click image for larger version

Name:	stern_interior.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	18644  
Old 02-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

Surely you *can* do it yourself, Dusty! I know I'm gonna do my truck and it's gonna be killer! I also know I'm gonna make some mistakes and do some things 2 or 3 times, but that's what learning is all about.

I'm getting ready to re-do my armrests ... the correct size motor-pulley belt I need for my Tacsew will be here tomorrow and I'l start my practicing. I'm gonna recover the armrests in cheapo vinyl; making sure the patterns I made are good, and once the cheapo vinyl fits the way I want it to, and I know my patterns are working right, I'll do them up with elk.

I'll post my results here, as I hope you will, and I'll note all my discoveries and mistakes, too.

PS -- I noticed my balance wheel was feeling a bit tight when the needle was in the down position ... something was creating resistance ... and it was bugging me for a couple of days. I kept turning it back and forth by the tough spot, looking at anything that moved but I couldn't find anything that explained the resistance. THEN ... I took the two screws off the feed-dog plate so it was loose and watched it closely as I turned ... when the needle was in the down position, the feed-dog was at it's highest and I saw the plate move!!! "Ah-haaa!" says I!

When I removed the plate, I could see a very slight wear spot on the side of the feed dog - it was rubbing on the bottom-side of the plate. I turned the plate over and saw that there was an area that was ground out for the passage of the feed-dog ... got out my dremel and did some refining, grinding that area out more.

When I put the plate back on I left it loose and went through the motions again ... no movement. Then I tightened the plate back down and there's no more drag in the wheel. I'm so proud of myself for discovering this and fixing it ... I mean, I'm a novice and I did a pro's job!

Last edited by horvath; 02-18-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Vini Vidi Vici

Last photo:

Dusty those long seats, straight seams, with easy rounded corners, should be a good project to get going on. You might find yourself sewing and if things go astray, just ask away. I am sure somone here can guide you.

Also you may want to consider reducing some of the insert "drama". Instead of the center of you seats having 8 double stitch lines, do maybe 4. Or just leave em plain. And also piping, if you decide to go back with piping (more difficult) find the color you want to buy it pre-made.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.