Newbie with traction question?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2003, 09:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Newbie with traction question??

I have a 1970 mustang coupe with slapper bars and a C4 automatic tranny with brake. I went from a 26x10 full slick to a 28x10 hoping this would cure the problem. It helped some but I still spin out of the hole on occasion. I'm a bracket racer so consistancy is everything. My 60's are in the 1.58-1.61 range with good traction. My question is when the track is well prepped I dont have a traction problem but as the day goes on I start to spin. Will cal tracs or ladder bars help this problem or am I wasting money and time? I have 90/10's on the front and Rancho adjustables on the rear set at #5 which is the middle setting.
Thanks,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resize wizard-5.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	184  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2003, 12:24 AM
Chock full of useless info

Last photo:

What tire pressure were you running on the 26's, and what are you running in the 28's?

Also, when you're bracket racing, how often are you running? Do your tires get to cool down? Have they been properly heat cycled?

I'm just wondering if it's something as easy as a pressure change. Maybe also try to soften up the rear by about one click to help with the weight transfer. I would try the easy stuff before investing in more parts.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:25 AM

Last photo:

I tried all different pressures in my 26's but the best was 15lbs. I was told by the manufacturer to use between 14-18lbs with the short tire and a 3100lb car. With the 28" tires I'm currently running 14lbs and was told to run between 11 and 15lbs with my car. I guess I could try 12.5 or so and maybe the tire would wrinkle a bit more when taking the hit off the line. Thanks for pointing out the simple things, its so easy to look past them!
Brian
Old 08-22-2003, 09:52 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

I think that slapper bars are a kind of "cheap" way to control traction, or at least not the best for a bracket racer. I've heard nothing but good things about caltrac's. I found this site on this board and it shows how to make your own caltrac traction bars. Looks real easy and saves a ton of money. Here's what they look like:

And here's the site where it shows how to make em:
http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com/Traction.html
I think this setup will help out, and maybe even lower ET's a little.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:20 AM
Onwer Muscle Syndicate

Caltrax

I have the Caltrax setup on my 68 and it lauches good. I have some other issues. I need better leaf springs.. But hte Caltrax bars helped out a ton.. I would definitely recommend them..
Old 08-28-2003, 12:12 AM

maybe you may need to check weight distribution , front end springs like moroso's drag springs good shocks move battery to rear if you have not moved it already.................in the rear ..tires lplay with tire pressure sometimes you may need to go a pound or so lower or higher than tire specs.......too tall or too low of gear would cause spin......but your 60 ft looks good .........may try and launch car at a lower rpm ......would be my first suggestion........they are alot of variable's to choose from you have to tweak them all to work together
Old 08-28-2003, 02:52 AM

Last photo:

competition engineering (aka morroso) sells those same type of caltrax bars. In their catalouge they have traction/slapper bars as 'level 1', then those caltrax type bars, then ladder bars, then onto 4 link systems and such.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.