Newbie, where to start? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2003, 04:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Newbie, where to start?

I am new at the whole car thing and want to learn more. I had a 92 ford taurus (3.8L V6, excellent body cond.) that i just couldnt sell, so I was thinking of learning on it. Taking apart and replacing hoses plugs and things of that nature and get it running really well. I was hoping to then "enhance" it and read about things like changing the camshaft, cold air intake, better exhaust etc... But i have lots of questions, my main question is is it worth it/how much will it take (money, knowledge, place to work etc...) Does this sound crazy or not worthwhile? Please write back with advise and suggestions. Thanks !

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2003, 08:09 PM
Superior Wheels Quality Tech

Last photo:

Oh dear.. Please tell me your joking... A 92 Ford Taurus!?!?!?!?! Sure build it up into a granny lookin sleeper and hot rod around town with the whiny exhaust. Or sell the car buy an older chevy then really have some fun!!!! A Taurus? OMG what are u thinking? This is a hot rod site.. Not a granny's tech tips for the mentally insane!
Old 09-30-2003, 08:16 PM

Lol, i know i know, i figured though, i cant really sell the car, if it could be done to make use of it. You can make any car look good if you know what to do to it, but sometimes its not worth it. From your feedback, im taking im better off trying for that chevy...
Old 10-01-2003, 03:22 PM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

If you think its hard to ditch that ford now, wait till you got another 10 grand into it.if you want to learn cheap, get a chev s10 and throw a 350 into it,shave that ugly groove on the side, some ground effects, maybe a scoop, and you have a rod. at least someone may call regarding the want ad.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:17 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

I understand working with what you have. Sometimes its better to wait on the purchase of your project because it can't be your main ride. If you want to fix up your car now then do it, but you could save the money and get a cheap started project later. You can set your prioreties and make the decision to scrimp and save or put your efforts into your 92 Ford, the choice is yours and there is no wrong thing to do. Be happy with your decision, enjoy the hobby any way you choose. The point is to have a good time and meet new people and learn new things and expand your knowledge base for YOUR PLEASURE, no one elses. YOu set the time table and you decide what you will try and do and what you will ask for help or ask someone else to do for you. No shame in getting help on the really hard stuff, you want it done right and sometimes the only way to get that is to pay a profesional, your choice.

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 10-06-2003, 08:40 PM
Father of Many

Last photo:

I agree with tm454 .Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:56 PM

Thanks, very helpful, I will probably wait then on it, because i would rather put time/money/efforts on something more worthwhile.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:05 PM
Father of Many

Last photo:

You would be supprised at how cheap you can find a project for just keep your eyes peeled. My boy and I got a 53 chevy 3/4 ton pickup for free we just had to pay to get it towed from New Mexico.
Good deals are out there.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:57 AM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

I think you got the drift of what these folks are saying. If you wnat to learn about automobiles, than work on the Taurus. Plan on keeping it for a dependable parts runner. Do all the hoses, belts, etc. But if you are going to be into rodding, what trips your trigger? Trucks? Sleds, Mustangs or Cameros? Mini trucks?
I said, I said uh son. I say, uh where you head at, boy? In the words of Foghorn Leghorn.
Look at what 53 Dadandson said. They got a freebie anfd they are on thier way. I am building on from scratch.
Open yor mind. Imagination is a dangerous thing!
Old 10-07-2003, 09:15 PM

keep the taurus as your daily driver!!! drive it to the ground!! and take the money you were gonna spend on the taurus and find a good car to hotrod. hotrod just means mucle! and nastalgia! and a taurus just dont have any mucle. no offence! pick up a wantadd. or go to your local public auction. i got a 85 monte. with a built sbc 355 goin it it has around 400 hp. the montes cutlass and the regals are fairly cheap. less than a grand. they look good all hooked up to. just take your time and do it right.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.