Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   Newly Rebuilt 200 4R Start up Question (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/newly-rebuilt-200-4r-start-up-question-218938.html)

mrpate 05-02-2012 07:59 PM

Newly Rebuilt 200 4R Start up Question

I have installed a newly rebuilt 200 4R behind a newly rebuilt 327. The application is a 67 corvette.

I understand that a 200 4R requires 11 quarts of fluid when dry. I have added 8 quarts of fluid and the dipstick indicates full. The dipstick is a Lokar XTD3220RFM.

I just fired up the engine this past weekend and set the inital timing.

I have a pressure test gauge in the transmission. While setting the timing I noticed the pressure gauge showed no pressure and I shut the engine down. Prior to the shutdown I did shift the car into reverse and drive and the wheels did turn in the appropriate directions (car on jack stands),but still no pressure. Total run time was less than 5 minutes.

Prior to the test run the dipstick was full and after the test the dipstick still showed full.

Should I just add one quart at a time until I get pressure since I am still 3 quarts low according to the rated fluid capacity requirements?

Why would dipstick indicated full when I am supposedly 3 quarts short? BTW I did attempt to pre-load the converter by adding 1.5 quarts.

Suggestions please---Mark

This is my first build so perhaps I am being overly cautious.

Quick99 05-03-2012 05:12 AM

Your gauge should read some mainline psi. You could pull the pan and see if someone left the filter out. If not you may have a broken pump.

S10xGN 05-03-2012 09:40 AM

Never trust aftermarket parts without first checking them. :nono: You should pull the pan and see where the dipstick "full" mark is, it should be level with the pan gasket. Adjust the stick by trimming or remarking it...

Russ

AutoGear 05-03-2012 12:57 PM

aftermarket streetrod dipsticks are a pain in the junk.
Start there; the unit should still build pressure. I don't think you hurt anything yet.

rick 427 05-03-2012 02:39 PM

make sure there's 11 qts, total, in that thing,if you are running a stock converter...reguardless what that dipstick says...check the pressure then....put the car on the ground,and see how the engagements in R and D feel at that point. It should bump right into gear as soon as you move the shifter....If that all works out ok,,,then you can just pull the dipstick,and re-mark the full line where the fluid level currently is on the stick.

sirron 05-03-2012 09:25 PM

You are checking the dipstick level with the engine running? If not the oil level will read high.

joshp83 05-04-2012 02:25 AM

id the gauge any good or any retrictions in the line o psi it woulkdnt engauge