Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - newly rebuilt sbc 400 1st problems
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Banned

Wiki Edits: 0

newly rebuilt sbc 400 1st problems

so since I've had the motor rebuilt the only thing that was giving me problems was tht the shift cable to the powerglide wasn't hooked up. so I was having to manually listen till the rpm's sounded like it was time to shift, let off the gas and hope it went into 2nd. tht problem still is happening but now already the motor has lost power.

the other day me and my dad got the distributor timing down and another day got the rockers arms adjusted. I think the valve covers were loose on the way home from his house because once I got off the highway I saw vapors of smoke billowing into the car. I'm not sure if I have burned a valve or 2. or if one of my rods are loose somehow.

it doesn't have its grunt from idle on up anymore and now whenever I do get it to shift into second I hear a tick or clap or clunk noise from the right side of the motor. this also happens if I'm on the highway cruising and then let off the gas briefly.ive heard it 3 or 4 times so far
WHAT COULD B SOME OF THE ISSUES I MAY HAVE ENCOUNTERED?

1:trans wasn't shifting by itself so 1st gear rpm may have overdone/overcooked on of the rods.
2:having the valve covers loose for 2 unknowing days.

anyways besides tht I'm distraught and feel like I shoulda just went forth with the ls swap which I still might do if this motor is done already.