Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - newly rebuilt sbc 400 1st problems
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 11:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

newly rebuilt sbc 400 1st problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage9scorpio View Post
not disgusted. distraught. I will check all of those shortly I have my dad driving over now to check a few things. I just surely hope it isn't a rod already. I just went outside and I kno its coming from the left right side(passenger). I pulled a few spark plugs while it was running to see if a cylinder was dead but after getting zapped by the sparkplugs a few times and seeing no change I paused and came into get warm.
A tool is made for removing spark plug wires that are insulated so that will not happen. The auto parts store also has a stethascope to listen to the engine noises that would be less shocking. Have someone start the engine, hold their foot on the brake and shift the transmission from reverse to forward gear. You will have to be close to the drive shaft to see and hear if the universal joints are bad. Also check your flexplate for cracks or if it is making any noise. Be safe and put the vehicle up on jack stands.While your down there at the flexplate use your stethascope on the oil pan and the side of the block the noise is coming from.