Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine> Engine swap
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: Engine swap Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
09-19-2008 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Mrwood
I have a 350 in my 88 chevy truck, will a 305 interchange with it.
The 305 will physically bolt in but the year of the heads will determine whether the intake will bolt up or not. The 305 will need to be a 1986 thru 1995 or else you get into issues where the heads will not match your intake's bolt pattern.

Additionally, the computer will be all messed up you'll have to do one of several things:

1) Get a 305 TBI and computer to have the correct match between injector capacity and computer control, otherwise the mixture will be excessively rich beyond what the O2 sensor has authority to control.

2) Keep the current TBI and computer then install a custom chip that knows it has large injectors on a smaller engine and makes the correction. Chips like this are about 300 to 400 dollars.

3) Convert to a carb, this will also take a custom intake, will create problems with existing computer driven elements such as the speedo. A to D resolvers can be bought but your back to not cheap.

4) Rebuild or replace the 350 with another TBI swirl port headed engine will prove to be the least expensive, simpler approach.

5) What ever engine used the cam needs to be close to what's in the 350 otherwise you quickly get into a custom chip. The good old days of just swapping stuff around are gone. Long gone already.

09-19-2008 03:55 PM
DoubleVision Yes, it`ll interchange, however, if you plan to keep the TBI you`ll have to swap injectors and the knock sensor to get it to run right. and if I`m not mistaken you`ll need a chip from a 305 truck with TBI. If it were me I would rebuild the 350.
09-19-2008 03:13 PM
Engine swap

I have a 350 in my 88 chevy truck, will a 305 interchange with it.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.