Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech> how would you make it legal??
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: how would you make it legal?? Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
08-31-2003 09:16 AM
5window Somewhere in your Texas MV department there will be a list of legal requirements for vehicles, even under a street rod or specially constructed vehicle classification. Here in PA, it seems like it is several miles long and includes such highlights as minimum windshield height, percentage of the tires that must be covered by the fenders (no highboys in Pennsylvania) , fuel tank locations, safety features etc. It is good to know these things first-it would be sad to build a fine car with a 6.75" windshield and find out your state law mandated 7".
08-31-2003 01:58 AM
spooki thanks for the replies.
08-30-2003 08:13 AM
adtkart In Virgina, according to DMV, a "street Rod" is titled as the vehicle it "most Closely resembles". DMV will issue a VIN for the vehicle and license it after an inspection of the vehicle by a DMV representative. It does have to pass a state safety inspection.
08-30-2003 12:04 AM
78 monte If the car resembles another car get a title and tags from another car and title it as that.Whos gonna know its not an extremly modified car.
A freind of mine hand built from 7 diferant body types,a roadster and is gonna title it a a Model A.
08-30-2003 12:02 AM
Dutchman This is in accordance with NSRA:



1. HORN: Electric only.
2. SPEED INDICATOR: Speedometer or calibrated tachometer at 55 mph
3. REAR VIEW MIRROR: One inside or outside on driver's side of vehicle.
4. GLASS: Must be safety plate.
5. LIGHTING: Hi-beam; low-beam; tail; brake; license.
6. WINDSHIELD WIPER: Electric or vacuum operated.
7. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION LOCKOUT: Neutral and/or park start only.
8. TIRES: Minimum 3/32 tread acceptable. Must meet D.O.T. specifications .
9. STEERING: No excessive "play" (2" radius max.) or binding; system must be safely mounted.
10. THROTTLE LINKAGE: Must not travel past center, return spring required.
11. FUEL SYSTEM: CHECK VENT ON TRUNK AND INTERIOR MOUNTED TANKS; no clear, plastic lines allowed. No leaks.
12. EXHAUST SYSTEM: NO LEAKS. Must pass rear edge of front door and exit exhaust away from vehicle.
13. SELF-ALIGNING ROD END BEARINGS: Check for fractures, insert sloppiness or binding.
14. SHOCK ABSORBERS: One per wheel, no leaks, 2" travel in each direction.
15. BRAKES: Four-wheel brakes, no leaks, check brake pedal travel, no copper tubing, check length of flexible lines.
16. SCRUB LINE: No steering, suspension or chassis components should be below this line.

RECOMMENDED EQUIPMENT: May be reason for failure.

17. WINDSHIELD: Should be AS-1.
18. SHIFT PATTERN: Shift pattern should be visible except on three speed standard column shift.
19. FUEL LINES: Should be safely mounted and routed.
20. PARKING BRAKE: Should be activated independent of vehicle's primary system. LINE-LOCK is not recommended.
21. SELF-ALIGNING ROD END BEARINGS: Ball should have 1/8 inch spacer on each side of the ball if there is any misalignment. Rod ends should not have more than 10 misalignment. ROD ENDS and 4 BAR-PARALLEL RADIUS ROD SYSTEM rubber bushed ends should have a safety washer at least the same outside diameter as the housing or larger.
22. BRAKE LINES: Should be safely mounted and routed.
23. CHASSIS FASTENERS: Self-locking nuts, lock-washers, safety wire, or cotter pins.

FOR YOUR SAFETY: fire extinguisher in driver/passenger compartment, seat belts, a third brake light and a dual master cylinder.

08-28-2003 10:52 AM
pasadenahotrod Simply put for Texans:
Go to your local DMV office and speak to someone about this. There is a Builder's Title Package available which explains all the procedures and includes all the forms which are necessary to title your home-built car.
There may be other packages for Kit type cars. Ask.
Remember, these people are there to serve you, if someone says they don't know, ask to speak to someone who does know.
08-14-2003 02:31 AM
spooki is that it

thanks for the info
08-14-2003 02:16 AM
Dozier768 i found this info searching around

How you go about titling your car will depend on what type of car you build. By
this we mean that there are three types of Kit Cars built. One ,a Kit Car using a
donor car for the platform. Two. A Kit Car constructed using a Custom frame built
by the manufacturer or someone authorized by the manufacturer. Or three. A Kit
Car built using a custom frame built by you.
If your using a donor car the first thing is to make sure that before you do ANYTHING, make sure you have a clear title to the vehicle. If you are purchasing
the donor car from a salvage yard, be sure it is NOT A SALVAGE TITLE you are
buying. Unless you are in the salvage business it will be almost impossible in most
states for you to get a new title issued in your name. Consult your local D.M.V. for
more details on "Salvage Titles". Only after you have secured a good title in your
name should you proceed to invest money into your donor car. The worst
nightmare any Kit Car builder could ever have is to invest tens of thousands of
dollars into a vehicle only to find out that the donor car does not have a clear
title. The worst case scenario is that the person with the Legal Ownership of the
car can take it from you and you loose everything you invested in the car.
Once you have clear title and you complete your car, the re-titling of the car is
fairly simple. Depending on the State you live, how the car is re-titled to a replica
car or re-body is up to them. Most states have a "Replica Car" packet that you can
pick up at your local D.M.V. A donor car is the easiest type to re-title, as long as
you have a clear title to it. The car will be re-titled using the original VIN # (Vehicle
Identification Number). If emissions are required in your state, it will be tested
based on the year of the donor car.
If you are building a Kit Car using a manufacturer supplied frame, then you will
receive an M.S.O. (Manufacturers Statement of Origin) from the manufacturer.
This M.S.O. will have a number assigned to it and this number will be stamped
somewhere on the kits' body or frame. This is the VIN #.
The M.S.O. is your "Clear Title", and the procedure is the same as a donor car with
the following exception. if you live in an emissions testing state, then the vehicles'
emissions will be based on the year you complete the vehicle unless you get a
variance. This will be discussed in a moment. Again, the rest of the procedure is
the same as with the use of the donor car in re-titling unless your state requires
their own VIN # issuance in place of an M.S.O. This will also be addressed below.
The last type of Kit Car titling that will be discussed is the homemade frame and
body. Because each state has its' own particular regulations and procedures, it
would be impossible to cover them all here. Since this site is most familiar with
Colorado procedures in obtaining a "Home Made" title, the following procedures
will be based on those requirements. However, you should get a good feeling of
what is involved, and your local D.M.V. should be able to supply you with all the
information necessary for you to meet their requirements.
All great journeys begin with the first step. in this case, it's to your local D.M.V.
where you will receive a "Replica Car" packet. In this packet are a series of forms
and questionnaires that you must fill out. Any major parts used from a donor car
in the construction will require proof of "Clear Title" and /or "Bill Of Sale".
The packet will instruct you to take your finished vehicle to the local State Patrol
office (the address and times are included in the packet) for an initial inspection.
You can either trailer the vehicle there or you can return to your local D.M.V. and
they will issue you a temporary licensee plate to allow you to drive the vehicle
there. At the time of the inspection, the state patrol will check for any VIN
numbers and inspect the vehicle for road worthiness. They may require you to to
procure an engineering report as to the structural integrity of the vehicle if they
have any concerns. Once you have had the State patrol sign off on your vehicle,
you will return to the D.M.V. with your packet and required photos, engineers
report (if required) any Titles and/or Bills of Sale. Here, the clerk will verify
your packet. The packet is then sent to The State D.M.V. where the packet is
reviewed and either approved or denied. If denied, additional information required
will requested from you to complete the approval. This approval usually takes 4 to
6 weeks as long as everything is in order. Once approved, the State Patrol will
contact you as to when you need to bring the vehicle back down to them for the
placement of the state issued VIN # to be applied to your vehicle. Once you have
the new VIN # applied and you pick up your paper work from the State Patrol, you
must return to the local D.M.V. with the paper work. At this time you must bring
ALL receipts for all work done and parts purchased for your vehicle with you.
This is critical for you. At this time these receipts will show that all Sales Tax has
been paid by you already and the State can not recharge you sales tax based on
the value of the vehicle. (which in Colorado, can be hundreds of dollars!). The
paper work is then sent back to the State D.M.V. for final processing. You normally
will receive your title in 6 to 8 weeks in the mail. Also, during this period you will
receive your license renewal in the mail. Now, since the vehicle has been titled as
whatever year you completed the vehicle no matter when you started it, you will
be required to have it pass emissions based on that year. Unless you have installed
a later model engine with ALL the computer and emissions and warning lights that
came with that engine, the chances of you passing the emissions test is as good as
a stock Ford Probe winning the Indy 500. You will need to get a variance for
emissions. What this entails is taking the vehicle down to the Local State Emissions
Center and having the vehicle certified for emissions testing based on the year of
the engine, not the year of the completion of the vehicle. You will still need to pass
emissions based on what was required on vehicles during the year that engine was
made and any emissions and smog devises used during that year will be required ,
but the standards wouldn't be anywhere as strict as current standards. Once you
have your variance, you may proceed to the local emissions stations and have the
vehicle tested. After passing, you return to your Local D.M.V. and purchase your
plates. That's all there is to it!
08-14-2003 12:45 AM
how would you make it legal??

if i was to build a car from scratch, what would i have to do to make it street legal,or get a title. i know it might differ from state to state, but i need some-one to point me in the right direction.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.