Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics> streetrod insurance
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: streetrod insurance Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
02-18-2004 05:55 PM
cboy Galaxie,

You might want to email Grundy and ask more specifically for their definition of "pleasure driving" and associated limitations. Tell them exactly how you intend to use your rod and see if it's covered. My understanding from talking with them is that pleasure driving can not coincide with any other everyday activity such as going out to eat at a restaurant, picking up some groceries, stopping at the hardware store, dropping your kids at the dentist, or running any other sort of errand. Can't even drive it to church they told me. Yes, you can cruise all you want...but you can't do anything else during your cruise. So just make sure that the actual type of driving you intend to do fits within their limitations.

Grundy IS about $200 a year less than Sneed - but Sneed has a much more lenient policy on use of the vehicle (everything you want except racing and driving to work - they say so in writing). For me the extra $200 was well worth it so that I can feel totally comfortable running errands or any other sort of driving that I want.

I think it all comes down to personal preference, how you drive your rod, and knowing exactly what your carrier does and does not allow. Interestingly, the price of the insurance does not always coincide with the freedom of usage. I researched a number of companies that had higher rates than Sneed but had much more restrictive use policies. So you really have to read the fine print and if the policy isn't clear you need to ask - otherwise you might find yourself thinking you are covered when someone crumples a fender in the parking lot of the grocery story - only to find out that was a disallowed use and you have no coverage.
02-17-2004 06:55 AM
galaxieguy3 Gotta throw my worthless 2 cents in here. I have insurance through Great American via Midwest Classic Insurance. They insured my unfinished car. Driving restrictions were good... Not to work or school. They have fairly expensive rates though. You can get up to 6k miles, as I recall.
Grundy had one of the most inexpensive rates and unlimited mileage. After my car is painted I will be insuring with them. They will not insure a car under 90% finished, however. Driving restrictions I think were good. You are not supposed to drive it to work or school, other than that, pretty much everything else was acceptable.
Hagertys rates were also quite inexpensive, but their driving limitations suck. Their insurance is for "Trailer Queens" or for vehicles that never see the light of day. Your allowed almost enough miles to drive it up and down your driveway twice. Personally I like to drive my car, so Hagerty is out of the question for me. They were also the most strict about what you do with it.
Best thing to do is call and ask about the specifics because there appears to be vast differences between companies, but from experience, my recommendation would be Grundy.
02-06-2004 07:50 AM No need for specialty insurance companies. I just use good old State Farm, same as for all my family cars. They have a 'specialty car' rate that is very economical. Restrictions are pretty lenient - car must be garaged at night, 10,000mi/year max (I don't come anywhere near that), can drive to and from work and to car events (what else is there?!!).
02-06-2004 06:16 AM
EBlack36 This is the company that I use. I have had one claim and had no problems.
02-03-2004 06:58 AM
cboy I talked with Sneed yesterday to get a clarification on the definition of "pleasure driving". Under their coverage it is anything except racing and driving to work. Everything else is acceptable - getting groceries, running errands etc.

This is the NSRA's insurance carrier and you must be an NSRA member to get the coverage. The only drawback is the rates are higher than Grundy and American Hobbyist - but comparable with Hagerty, AON, American Collector, and a couple of others. So not the cheapest but it might be worth it for the peace of mind knowing that a claim isn't going to get rejected because of some technicality regarding what you were up to at the time the car got crinkled.

01-31-2004 04:31 PM
bud-23 reborn55
I've have been with them just over a year and my renewal is about the same. When I first did the online quote it was higher than the phone quote.
I have never filed a claim with Grundy so I'm not sure if there will be a problem. It states unlimited mileage and all of the shows,cruising you want to do as long as you don't use it for taking the kids to school, grocery shopping, running errands etc. They do ask questions about your daily driver.

01-31-2004 04:15 PM
prices and coverage

what kind of rates do you get and what do you need to do to get those rates? I drive my rods every day, to work and to play. About 10k a year last year anyway. The I park it for the winter. But I can pull it out without calling the Insurance guy. I have one thats a project and it has fire and theft on it but its not a driver yet.


Rat Rods Rule!
01-31-2004 03:00 PM
cboy Bud

Grundy is among the best quotes I've gotten so far but I do wonder about ALL the companies that say they allow pleasure driving. Some say in the fine print that the car can't be parked and left unattended at any time (i.e. stopping at the hardware store, going into a restaurant to eat, or taking it for the proverbial drive to church on Sunday morning and leaving it in the parking lot.) I'm just wondering how rigid the rules are and how the definition of "pleasure driving" can be construed in the event of a claim that they don't want to pay. I have a "daily driver" but I certainly want to be able to hop in the '32 to go out for a bite to eat, drop a letter at the post office, or any number of other possible "errands" that might be included within a little "pleasure drive". I'm just wondering how clear the rules are on this in the Grundy policy (or the policies for other companies).

01-31-2004 01:48 PM

had good luck w/american collectors, however they will NOT do kit cars
01-31-2004 11:36 AM
reborn55 Hey Bud--just curious as to whether Grundy is raising their rate. Got a rate quote from them lat year that was dirt cheap--just ran same cars through and the rate almost tripled. jUst curious. Hagerty has done the same
01-31-2004 08:49 AM
bud-23 I use Zero deductable, drive all you want, it just can't be your daily driver.
01-31-2004 07:40 AM
Insurance, we don't need no stinkin insurance!!

These guys should offer a stated price and an appraised price ins. You pay the premiums so decide which one you want to pay. I just use AllState's stated price policy for my rods, my 53 chevy pro-street has a stated value of $25k and the premium is $175 for the year full coverage. I am sure I get a discount for more than one car but I don't know how much it is. My 69 LeMans is $126 a year for $10K and I have ins. on my 37 Dodge project and thats in storage at $65 for the year for fire and theft full coverage for $18K. My wife just told me we also get the home owner plus the auto discounts?? $100 deductable on the cars and $250 deductable on the house.


Rat Rods Rule!
01-30-2004 06:51 PM
reborn55 I have got both mine at 20,000 a piece, so all I needed was for me to send them some pictures of the car. I think I am going to go higher on the 55 this year. Think they want an appraisal then. One of the reasons I went with Great America is they are fairly local. Got to meet the agent at Frog Follies. if you want any info Guys anme is Robbin--tell him I sent you.
01-30-2004 06:24 PM
cboy Thanks reborn55 and CTSmokey. I'm going to check out the companies you are using. I have quotes from Sneed, Grundy and American Hobbyist. They all seem pretty reasonable and pretty close - so I'm mostly looking for most reputable with the least restrictions on usage.

Have you had any experience with having to have your car appraised (over $25,000 for some companies)? Do they pick the appraiser or do you?

01-30-2004 04:11 PM
CTSmokey This is who I use and so far have been the cheapest and had great customer service. I have a 1940 Ford tudor sedan and a 1956 Chevy wagon

Hey reborn!
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.