|12-13-2011 11:29 PM|
|mitmaks||I would be wearing respirator in either case so smell does not bother me. I'm painter so I'm more tolerant towards fumes lol|
|12-13-2011 11:25 PM|
The propane heaters are capable of putting SO much moisture into the air that it can get silly. (rust issues on your bare steel!) Around here, I am told that drywallers cannot use them as the "mud" will never dry and I have also been told (by a buddy who is a drywaller) that in some cases the mud just runs down the wall overnight. They use either massive (and expen$ive to run) electric ones or else the kerosene ones.
And yes, I use a kero-powered one. They do smell up the place (a lot), but running a 220 volt electric one just gets too $pendy for my budget. As soon as I can get the rest of the insulation done in my shop I'll be firing up the nat gas-powered boiler (again) to run the radiant floor heat
|12-13-2011 10:44 PM|
|03-11-2005 11:44 AM|
|oldred||I like propane better as it is odorless and a lot less messy but if do you elect to go with propane be sure and install a carbon monoxide detector. They are inexpensive and good insurance.|
|03-11-2005 10:13 AM|
|daimon1054||Remember any open flame will deplisnish the oxygen so make sure you do provide ventilation. Any soot should rise so putting a stainless stove back splach above it will let it collect there and be easy to clean.|
|03-11-2005 09:35 AM|
|Dave E Shank||
I live in Noblesville, Indiana and use a Kerosene Heater whenever it is cold enough to work out in garage. I have never expirenced any bad effects from using one, I was already bald before . It is better than working in the cold and damp. . DAVE
|03-10-2005 08:03 PM|
I would opt for the propane heaters instead of the kerosene. They smell better and are cleaner.
|03-10-2005 05:25 PM|
I use one all the time, I have buddies that use them and complain about the smell but when they come to my garage they say mine smells nowhere near as bad as theirs, then they see I have a window open with a window fan. It works alot better then leaving the door open a crack. Also I just got done doing some painting, no fisheyes even on the drive shaft I painted that was right by the heater, and I forgot to wipe it down with degreaser. When I paint I heat the garage up to about 60, turn off the heater, paint, turn on 2 window fans, clear the air good and turn the heater back on.
|03-10-2005 04:40 PM|
|segge||We have one we use to heat our garage and basement when needed. Its seems to give off some black soot when its lit and when you turn it off. Im pretty sure it burns cleanly while its on its just when its turned off/on that it does this. It doesnt give off a cloud of smoke or anything, just some soot that gathers on the heater.|
|03-10-2005 04:31 PM|
i am in the middle of finishing my barn with drywall and insulation on walls but nothing in ceiling yet.i have both of my cars in the barn now as iy is completely enclosed,
i'd like to work out there on my cars but have a question.
my question is,do you think kerosene burning salamander heaters put anything into the air that would leave a damaging film on the paint of my car?i know they don't have a very pleasant odor and i was wondering if they emitted anything into the air,like smoke.