Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics> Licensing Hotrods
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: Licensing Hotrods Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
01-20-2006 11:24 AM
OneMoreTime One will need all the documentation pertaining to the purchase of all the components used in the construction of the vehicle..Not sure about the state of Missouri but most states work that way..titling and ownership is one thing..passing DMV for roadworthy is another and then if one has to pass emmisions is yet another..

Main thing is that if you happen across an individual in the powrs that be that speaks "Hot Rod" you may be ok..if you run into somone having a real bad day yours might not be all that good..

01-20-2006 11:16 AM
MI2600 I would try something like "" as a search and look for Secretary of State, or whatever it's called in MO.
01-20-2006 09:12 AM
ckucia Can't help you on Missouri, but I've noticed these questions pop up with some frequency.

It would be a real resource if somehow we could put together a state-by-state guide based on rodders recent experiences.

Anyhow, in Ohio, there is info on the DMV and EPA web sites.

The DMV uses the State Highway Patrol to do an inspection, that is mostly confirming that the parts aren't stolen. Roadworthiness is largely determined by the builder/owner.

The EPA, I believe, goes by the model year of the engine (if it can be proven) to determine the pertinent regulations and if emissions testing is required.

Another concern would be insurance. In Ohio, the title says something like "homebuilt" or "self assembled". That covers a very broad range - from building a stock equivalent out of parts from various cars to something completely from scratch. Other than liability, any other coverages may be difficult to obtain. I haven't yet researched that aspect.

I haven't found anyone in the process who actually confirms that the vehicle meets any roadworthiness criteria. You would think that would be where the DMV would get involved, but they apparently don't.

One aspect that is kind of weird, is that (in Ohio) you bring the completed vehicle for inspection. Of course, you can get in touch with inspectors beforehand, but there's no sort of plan approval, as there would be for building a home.
01-20-2006 08:57 AM
Licensing Hotrods

How hard is it to get your Home built hotrod licensed in the state of missouri.. as in titled and registered to obtain the license

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.