|04-28-2006 04:48 PM|
So I gather that most here feel a rebuild (eng upgrade/tranny rebuild) of this truck might be the better option?
Any suggestions on makes/years to watch for in terms of a replacement PU truck? (if I do decide to move along).
|04-27-2006 08:44 PM|
|04-27-2006 06:58 PM|
I'm assuming you have a 700R4- which is easy to find a rebuildkit for, its very time consuming but if your very carfeul rebuilding your own can save you a bunch of money.
For the engine I would recomend going to a 4.3L- which will bolt up. you'l retain that milage (I have a Blazer with a 4.3L) and if you spring for a better cam, raise the compression, and get headers you'll actually beat the milage you're getting. To do both you could get by on the cheap at around 2 grand.
|04-27-2006 06:01 PM|
replacement pickup truck - your advice please
Hi, Can i ask you all for shopping advice?
i really hope you all can lend your advice on a replacement pickup truck.
I currently have a 85 black, chevy s-10 v6 2.8L 4x4, rochester 2se carb....with orig engine/tranny nearing 275k miles.
- I keep good care of it, regular oil changes. Leaks a lil bit, but amazing lastign power for an orig 85.
- recently cleaned the rochester 2se carb and replaced necessary/rebuild parts.
- new coil, wires, plugs, air filter
- replaced all bad vac lines
- spent $ not long ago shoring up all exhaust problems (air system driver side, new muffler and pipe).
- transmission fluids changed, new filter, new pan gasket (but still getting some small leakage).
- needs new ball joints and shoring up on steering column
- could use a new paint job of course (but again, looks gr8 for an 85).
- it's got some oil leaks, aand a lil leak at the tranny (i think the pan - even though a new gasket was just put on). Could be rear seal at worst I guess, but it's not "pouring" out fluid...just a small leaking on the y-pipe that will cause soem smoking).
- Of course being a 2.8l v6, it's not the fastest thing, tough to keep up at the freeway speeds (65+).
basically it's been a real wonder truck (lasting...still lasting actually) but an 85 carb'd s-10 4x4 that's getting on in years so i'm thinking - maybe - it's time to look into new pickup truck options. I would like your advice.
- It takes about 3-4 tries each morning to start - but once it starts it operates well.
- last checked gets about 17mpg city, lil more highway
- also: it needs a new rear brake light switch I think and new license plate lights).
- when 4x4 is used, it shifts in out ok and seems to operate fine...but you can sure "hear it" when it's in say 4hi...REALLY HEAR it when in 4lo. not sure if this is normal or a poss problem coming as it's always been this way.
- No a/c (black truck...gets hot in there in pac northwest summers)
I mean this is a tough decision. The truck is working and i've always loved it, I drive it near daily, it hauls what I need to haul sometimes...and hey...IT'S PAID FOR Runs ok, idles ok.
but the transmission is scaring me a bit. It's acting alright...(seemgly no drive/movement issues) except for a vibration - you can feel a bit - that kicks in at 45 or so mph when i put it in OVERDRIVE.
Is this a sign the tranny will go soon? Or could it be another issue or engine sign?
Plus the fact the 2.8L v6, as long as it's amazingly LASTING (runs great when started and ez to maintain), it is known as a "dog" engine with poor design - espec the carbd models (which I have).
So, I'm just doing research now on any solid, USED pickup models (preferably 4x4) that will offer best bang for the buck (good power vs fuel economy).
Can any of you suggest some years/makes/models I might want to focus on for a daily driver / hauling pickup truck (hauling yardwaste, etc)?
I want to be able to maintain most of it myself (oil/tuneups/etc). havn't really set a pricepoint yet...not even sure if it's really time to bag this 85 s-10.
But all i know is this chevy s-10 and wondering if I shoudl stay chevy s-10 or other ...so I'd love your advice.
Or, what kind of cost would I be lookin at with dropping in a better engine and rebuilt tranny ya think? How can one shop for the best price on to rebuild this 85 s-10 4x4? Any parts suggestions or best route to take ...or tips along these lines?
With gas going the way it is...I know i will still want/needneed a pickup truck...but one with at least "decent" fuel economy 9this one isn't bad believe it or not at 17mpg city for a carbd model 4x4).
my searches on vehix.com either point to a 2whl mazda b series or this truck (as far as fuel econ).
I'm NOT looking for a road burner, racing, speedster type - just a solid pickup truck / daily driver that gets decent mpg.
Not sure what models/years to be looking for when considering parts avail, recalls, or past known issues. hope you can help.
thank you so much...this is a toughie for me.