Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools> where to buy a SAE 45* flare tubing seat cutter?
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: where to buy a SAE 45* flare tubing seat cutter? Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
11-26-2007 09:04 PM
Old School Nut thanks every1 for your input, and GMC, YES!!! thats the tool I am looking for!

I plan on using this tool to make custom one off fittings as well as using it to repair hard to find and expensive fittings and parts on antique tractors, cars and trucks...

Dugg, ever use a "3 axis" cnc bridgeport? them are mighty expensive deburing tools! your right tho, they aint that ridged of a machine, someday I will buy something nicer like a HAAS VMC....

thanks again guys!

11-24-2007 09:45 PM
powerrodsmike Good find.

11-24-2007 09:38 PM
66GMC I'm not 100% sure this is it ... but it sure sounds like it.
Tri-Star Engineering - SAE J512 Inverted Flare Type Fitting cutting tools

Tri-Star Engineering specializes in making of the SAE J512 Inverted Flare Type Fitting cutting tools intended for general application in the automotive, appliance, and allied fields. We manufacture the J512 to exact SAE standard dimensions, or we can manufacture the J512 in the highest quality to meet your part specifications. To serve you better, we offer two different variations of the J512 on our website in which you can view, request more information on, and use our online forms to submit a quote to our sales department. From here, a quote can be produced for a standard dash size or you can select our custom option to enter in your own values to meet your part specifications. Once the form is submitted, you will receive a quote within 3 business days.

In the event of an order, TRI-STAR ENGINEERING, INC. will issue an approval print.
11-24-2007 07:48 PM
powerrodsmike Many times a brass insert is cut with the inverted flare seat and pressed into a bored recess in the part. I know that master cylinders are made that way. That type of part can be made on a lathe.

How many of these parts are you making?

If you are doing a bunch, like Dugg said, a custom cutter may be the way to go.

You'd try one of these guys who do custom tooling.

( I never used these particular people, I just googled "custom tooling"

Here is a company I found that made a tool called a "cone cutter", this one is a 10* but it looks like it's the right idea.


IIRC, rutland and enco offer custom services as well.

later, mikey
11-24-2007 07:02 PM
Dugg If you've tried McMaster and maybe MSC, I'd have one made.

I've had custom shaped end mills made and they're not all that expensive.... Yes Paris, relative is just that, relative to the cost of other tooling.

Tell your tool maker you want to start with a standard double ended end mill and have him grind yours on both ends of the mill.......... it's cheaper grinding the same profile on both ends than having two separate end mills made.

If you design your cutter with a pilot guide like a counter-bore tool, you may even be able to get away using it on a nice deburring machine.... deburring machine is what I call Bridgeport mills.
11-23-2007 09:29 PM
Old School Nut
where to buy a SAE 45* flare tubing seat cutter?

does any1 know where to buy a 45* flare tubing seat cutter as used in production of wheel cylinders, oil and fuel line fittings... haven't had any luck paging through Mcmaster,rutland and NNT...

I may end up having one custom made, but I know some1 must sell them! maybe I just don't know what to look under???

thanks -Leo-

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.