Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> quarter panel.
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: quarter panel. Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
04-26-2008 04:52 PM
shadowismydogsname Thank-you MARTINSR

sorry i dont have a cam at the moment so i cant get any pics..but yeah it would be better for me to get the whole quarter panel of cause on the back of the panel there is some rust starting to form and the wheel well needs attention so yeah...would that be the only way to get it off?

EDIT: i added a pic i found on the wat my ford looks like now...i got the pic from..
04-26-2008 09:32 AM
MARTINSR That is a horid job, cutting of a quarter panel and then reinstalling it, yeow, that hurts. Cutting off small panels, braces or portions of panels is common though. So it isn't out of the question, just uncommon that you would need to remove a quarter. Are you sure you couldn't remove a portion of it, like the up to below a body line or something like that? Post some pictures!

Sometimes removing the whole thing would be easier, other times just a portion may be a big time saver AND less "invasive" and better for the project all the way around.

But getting back to the actual removal, cutting with a cut off wheel is one tool that could be used. You would want a 1/32" wheel, that is about half a mm. But the method most commonly used would be drilling out the spot welds and removing it just the opposite of how it was installed.

Some people will get wierd about drilling out spot welds, it is really no big deal. Look at it as "unbolting" the panel. Those spot welds are really no more than a "rivit" or "bolt" if you think about it, just carefully drill the top surface off, and wham, you have "unbolted" that point.

But you need the proper tools for the job. Over at and get some "Wivco" spot weld drilling bits. These bits have a very short pilot drill and cut off the top metal layer only. They are very nice, but I have to warn you, you have to go slow, have the drill perfectly right angle with the surface and start a little pilot "dent" with an 1/8" drill is recommended so the Wivco doesn't wander. If it wanders, it is likely to break. They are VERY hard steel and will fracture pretty easy. But if you are careful one will stay sharp.

This is what a Wivco bit will leave of a spot weld.... (though I didn't use a Wivco to do it, I used another brand)

This is the bit, it has a retractable tip. And you will see that it has very shallow, flat cutting surface so you don't go thru the bottom layer of metal.

As I said, this is like "unbolting" the panel. If you go around and drill the spot welds out like this, the panel comes right almost as if it is "unbolted". There are a few welds that will have a spot that didn't get cut, and you use a panel splitter or my favorite tool for this a gasket scraper to carefully split the panels apart.

This is a "gasket scraper" like I use to split the panel, AFTER the spot weld has been drilled out.

I will often preach about using tools correctly, but this is one time I break my own rule. These gasket scrapers are GREAT tools for splitting panels. They are VERY thin at the end and don't distort the metal around the spot weld. I have found that the Snap On brand tool is the best hands down, I have been using one for YEARS beating it with a hammer to shave pieces of stubborn spot welds and it is still going strong. I bought a "MAC" (another big Tool truck brand like Snap On) to bring home so I could leave the Snap On at work and found that the handle broke from the abuse. The Snap On one is still going strong. But I have tried the tools sold as "Panel spliters" and don't like them at all, they are too thick.

04-26-2008 04:00 AM
quarter panel.

hi, i am going to do the qaurter panels on my ford xc the panels them selves are in good condition its that i wont to fix the rust on the back of the panels and other places while i have the panel iam wondering if it would work if i cut the panels of with a thin cutting wheel i have cutting wheels which are (1.0mm) thick..what iam asking is if i can cut the quarter panel off then weld the same panel back on? and if so the process of doing so.


Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.