Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools> Where to get burs?
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: Where to get burs? Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
07-29-2009 07:32 PM
lizardking7750 I have already smoothed out the pocket and not even noticeably damaged the seat. Now its time to polish the exhaust, any tips on the best bits to use.
07-29-2009 05:26 AM
Irelands child If you aren't going into the valve pocket, you might as well not spend your time on the rest - and you WILL hit the seat
07-28-2009 10:15 PM
lizardking7750 Thanks for the replies, my buddy had a set, that he let me use. Also I already had a valve job, but since I'm staying away from the valve seat I should be good on the job right?
07-27-2009 09:07 PM
kenseth17 We use them quite a bit at work. I had one, but it ended up disappearing. Snap on rapes you about 30 to 40 bucks a piece for one, so did not want to buy one from them.
I needed one when I broke an intake bolt and the drill bit would just wander when I was trying to drill it out. This town sucks for getting anything you need. Looked all over at harbor freight, but did not see any. Seen Sears had a pack of 3 for 30 bucks, but they were very small, smaller then the ones I normally use. Ended up buying one off ebay, for 7 bucks with free shipping,like I have to order off the computer for most of the stuff I need, never being able to find anything in town. Bought from this ebay seller. A guy at work said he got his one year when there was a guy selling them for 5 bucks a piece at iola, a big car show every year in this area. Maybe if there is a larger car show in your area with a lot of venders, you could find some there as well.
07-27-2009 07:02 PM
Kevin45 A lot of tool companies wil have them. Enco, Travers, MSC Direct, J.L. Industrial, McMaster-Carr, Grainger, etc. All different price ranges. You can get High Speed Steel (HSS) or spend a little more and get carbide that will last considerably longer. You can also get sets that have various size and shape burrs in them.
07-27-2009 10:03 AM
Irelands child If you don't have the time - don't bother as a good DIY porting job - it's about 8-14 HOURS of work

Burs - McMaster Carr have a good selection.

The one thing I do have to say here and it was mentioned above is that unless you have a flow bench, I would just port match the intake to the heads as well as the exhaust ports to your manifolds plus smooth of any obvious casting boogers. . Beyond this, you could be doing more harm to your air flow then help - then of course is the potential of "falling through" to a water or EGR port. You also need a good 3 angle valve job AFTER your port job to finish it up.

Here's a pretty good article for a DIY porting job:
07-26-2009 08:44 PM
lizardking7750 Thanks for the replies. I will just order some good ones.
07-26-2009 06:49 PM
oldred Enco probably has the best buys on decent quality burrs along with most other cutting tools. Harbor Freight actually had a really good burr that was dirt cheap (one of their few good quality items) compared to most others but they were about as good as any I have used, unfortunately I have not seen them there lately but it might be worth checking.
07-26-2009 10:42 AM
Crosley I bought some burrs from Enco Tools.... they have worked well on my 6 cylinder head porting

1/4 inch diameter shaft for my air grinder , various shapes. single or double cut design worked for me to rough out the shape.

I had some stones on hand to smooth out the cuts.

With porting , remember : " less is more" when you do not have a flow bench or the related knowledge on porting
07-26-2009 09:25 AM
lizardking7750 Thanks, what numbers should I buy, I'm kind of new to this.
07-26-2009 09:03 AM
302 Z28 Home Depot and Lowes would not have the quality burrs you need, they just carry light duty cheap burrs that sell fast. You need to either go to an industrial supply house or order them from an industrial supplier like McMaster Carr, but be prepared to pay a good sum for quality burrs.

07-26-2009 08:42 AM
Where to get burs?

I am wanting to port my heads and really don't have time/want to order a kit out of summit. I was wondering what specific burs do I need to port and polish my heads and if a place like home depot would have them.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.