Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech> Wiki: "How Can I Title My Hot Rod"
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: Wiki: "How Can I Title My Hot Rod" Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
08-28-2013 06:49 AM
yard work.

Dewey is now posting house-yard how to's on other sites, He always has easy to under stand directions and how to save money. Pretty soon he might miss the snow when yard work stopped other than running the snow blower and bringing in a load of firewood. .
08-27-2013 10:55 PM
MARTINSR Good to hear you are keeping busy. From what you have done with cars I can only imagine what a beautiful house you are making!

08-27-2013 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Hey Dewey how the hell are you doing?
Great Brian. Living in Atwater/Merced and loving it. Spending most of my waking hours working on the house we bought here. So the hot rod building has been playing second fiddle since the move.
08-27-2013 10:29 PM
MARTINSR Hey Dewey how the hell are you doing?

08-27-2013 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by chiro82 View Post
Hello! I read the wiki about titling a rod in New York. I am looking at buying a car from a guy that has yet to be VIN'd.

If I were in your shoes my position would be "no deal". It is the seller's responsibility to provide the buyer with a good and clear title whenever you provide good and clear money.
08-26-2013 07:35 PM
Titling in NY

Hello! I read the wiki about titling a rod in New York. I am looking at buying a car from a guy that has yet to be VIN'd. Can I stamp the MSO on the frame and have him fill the forms out and have it be legal? I'm a little unclear as to exactly how to do the "short" way in NY. This is important as being able to title the car is vital to the deal. Thanks.
12-05-2011 11:05 PM
winginit I find this very interesting ,and on my mind all the time.I have a 59 "I think" angila,it's an old gasser from the 60's super bell droper axel 58 BPO rear end 2x4 fram.But no titel no ser number plate. I have had this car for for 21 years just siting hoping to find a body with a vin plate.

Back in the 80's I had a 63 nova gasser same thing no titel no vin plate. I was working on it at the house and went down the street to test the brakes that were pulling to one side,and yes I should not have been driving it on the street long story short cops took it and I never saw it again, as I could not prove it was mine, to get it out of inpound.

So I dont want to put any time or money into the angila till I can get a title.
Sucks to be me
09-27-2011 03:38 PM
Airboat smallblock
Airboat smallblock

Hey get a local person in Georgia, to title the vehicle in there name then after all is done and Title in hand have them transfer it back to you in MN, I'm sure someone in Georgia would do it for you for a fee,,, you don't even have to take the vehicle anywhere just get the paper work done, here in FL as long as you have insurance for some vehicle you can title and tag any vehicle you want to register,,,Good Luck
09-29-2010 02:09 PM
title old cars

I just thought of the address thing while I was Typing. I think it might work if you had a bill of sale from GA. and Then got Your Insurance down there if they have State Farm and then transfer it up here after you get tags. That won't work either your INS. would have your Mn. address.
Oh well thanks for the help we tried to make a plan but sometimes plans don't come together.

Thanks again

Later 35terraplane
09-29-2010 01:53 PM
klif50 It looks like it might be harder than I thought. You are going to have to have a county residence in the county where you register your car and a mailing address in that county since they mail out renewals each year. Might not be as good of an idea as I first thought. You might look at this site and it will give you all the official information
Hope this helps.
09-29-2010 01:40 PM
old car title

they won't say anything if the insurance card says Minnesota, like why do you want to get tags here when it's insured in Minnesota. Will they ask what my address is if I say I'm moving down there. I'm not trying to put you through the grinder, but I go to FL. every winter and I don't want to get in a hassle with them if I stop for tags.

09-29-2010 01:26 PM
Titling in Georgia

The tag office does not do any inspection of the car if you have a VIN number and a bill of sale (and proof of insurance). My 52 will be insured and tagged by Monday even though it won't be on the road for a couple of weeks, just in case we need to take it for a test drive or 20.
09-29-2010 01:18 PM

Do you have to have the car with you, or can you just apply for one without the car.


Later 35terraplane
09-29-2010 11:58 AM
Titling in Georgia

Georgia is a backward state in a lot of ways but it's easy to title a rod. The state does not issue titles for cars older than 25 years old so all I need is a hand written bill of sale and a binder from my insurance company that I have minimum coverage on it then the tag is 20 bucks and the ad valorem tax on my 52 Chevy is about $4.
Come on down, title your rod in Georgia, then go back to your state with your Georgia paperwork. They never even look at the car unless you don't have a VIN number then a local policeman will verify it doesn't have a vin and you send in paperwork that says they looked at it and your bill of sale and they issue you a new Vin tag and number.
Good luck getting yours on the road.
09-21-2010 12:49 PM
no title

In MN. Minnesota Street Rod Association does a lot with the state, just to keep the old cars around. we even have a lobbyist and legislative committee, that watches over all bills pertaining to old cars. So it is not a lost fight if you need a title, if you have a bill of sale you can apply for a title, there is a little more paper work, but it is pretty simple you must bond the car for so many years also. I have only done it once, but it worked. As far as getting titles from out of state that used to work years ago,but not anymore unless you have the car, the title won't work, they do have people look at it and they know were the cars a stamped and most of the time they have one on the frame.

Later 35terraplane

Also welcome I'm new also , great bunch of guys, anyone of them could come to my shop for a pop anytime, barley that is.
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.