Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering> "Mustang II" power steering hose fitting sizes
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: "Mustang II" power steering hose fitting sizes Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
12-20-2010 09:54 AM
fleetsidelarry Just a follow-thru to close this out (I hope). I could get all the AN fittings and high-pressure hose to make a new line from Speedway for about $50 or their already made-up kit for $92. Nobody within a 40 mile radius would make me up one with the exception of one guy who would IF I brought him the proper ends. $30 PLUS the cost of a new hose to rob the end off of, so still around $50.

I talked to Gil at Borgeson ( who said if I had the rack that mounted on 15 1/5" centers it was the newer rack which took the metric fittings, 14 mm O-ring pressure side. My old rack was an 'old' rack (mounted on 16" centers) which took the 5/16 male O-ring.

For $75 I ordered his hose kit which should be here by Thursday (depending of course, on how many blizzards hit between here and Connecticut in the mean time).

Thanks to all who responded.
12-19-2010 02:27 PM
39 OLDROD Sounds like a FORD rack one of the parts places should be able to use the numbers and tell you what it is .A lot of the after market people use 74-78 racks BUT they are getting harder to find so they use 79 up and the holes are different I can't remember what the hole size is . It seems like mine (a 80) has a either 5/8 or 3/4 I do know the man at PURECHOISE though I was full of it until I SENT him a line I pulled from a bone yard that fit then he made me a set of ends so I could make up some lines.
Just remember a good hose place will know what size they are IF you tell them what year rack and year and make of PUMP.

good luck OLDROD
12-19-2010 09:25 AM
fleetsidelarry Also, Centerline, I forgot to add: indeed the old rack IS half steel/half aluminum. The new rack is all aluminum.
12-19-2010 08:10 AM
fleetsidelarry Cape Cod Bob and Centerline, thanks for responding. I was trying to avoid buying the already madeup sets. BTW, Borgeson has the best price I've found ($75) on these sets. Also, Centerline, I found the reference and link to Borgeson on one of your earlier (like 2004!) threads on how to hook up a GM pump to a mustang rack, so, again Thanks. (Back then the price on these hose sets was like $56. )

After my post yesterday I crawled under the car and found that it is a ford rack with the number D8BC-3550-AA. Any idea what that translates to?

It does appear that Speedway has the fittings, adapters and high-pressure hose I would need to build a hose. (they have an AN adapter to fit a 14mm o-ring opening, which I'm beginning to believe is what I have on the new rack).
12-18-2010 09:11 PM
Centerline There were two different racks used in the stock application. One was made by Ford and the other was a TRW rack. They had different size fittings and my guess is that you're new rack (if your original was a Ford) is a TRW. Tje way to tell which you have is easy. The ford unit is all aluminum. The TRW unit is 2 pieces, steel on the passenger side and aluminum on the drivers side. All you need is a magnet to tell.

There are some aftermarket manufacturers who make specialty hoses that will fit these once you know which one you have.

Good luck.
12-18-2010 07:13 PM
Cape Cod Bob Not sure about the diff in size.10th.
However I recently change my MII rack with a rebuilt MII from NAPA and got ready made hoses from speedway. The pump I had was like yours and the hoes pressrure was for a female pump fitting. I happened to have a newer pump and switched the pressure fittings. to use the hose they sent. They have a bunch of fittings. You need to find out exactly the fitting tyoe and size on your rack.
a,7270.html female pump fitting
12-18-2010 01:46 PM
"Mustang II" power steering hose fitting sizes

I have a '48 Chevy coupe that the original owner installed a Mustang II crossmember and rack in. It is FoMoCo and worn out and nasty enough to truly be a Mustang II. It mounts on 16" centers.

Recently at the Turkey Run in Daytona I bought a reman rack from one of the street rod parts vendors. I already knew that what is called a Mustang II in street rodding is not really apparently a Mustang II so I knew enough to buy the offset bushings at the same time from the vendor. I wasn't prepared for the taller pinion (which I can work around by shortening my steering shaft).
The difference in the pressureside fitting into the rack is frustrating me right now.

I'm running the older style GM pump with a 3/8 inverted flare out. My old hose fit the pump and had a Ford fitting (5/16 tubing with a male 5/16 o-ring flare (1/2X20) for the rack. Naturally the new rack is different. The pressure side fitting is slightly larger.

I been reading previous threads on HotRodders and have seen a reference to 9/16X18 being the size I need (which would be a swivel o-ring type which used 5/16 tubing). But I also found the Borgeson link on another thread and, when I talked to them, they said the fitting would be metric, 14 mm o-ring, which is what comes on their hose kit for hooking GM pumps to so-called Mustang II. 14mm and 9/16 are within a few thousanths of each other (11.5 thousanths or 1.15 hundredths).

I'm wanting to get a hose made locally (which is a 60 mile round trip for me since the local NAPA does not do power steering hoses) but want to be able to tell them what size fitting to use, of course. And, of course, the rack is already bolted in the car.

Does anyone know what fitting is on these non-original racks or does it matter whether its a 9/16 or a 14 mm?

Sorry for the long post.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.