|10-03-2015 01:41 PM|
I think for a first attempt, you have done a great job....Pat yourself on your back.
I've got this ahead of me, without a doubt I will be using this thread for a referent..... Well done you.
|08-20-2015 07:01 PM|
Looking for plans to build a bench for a 1918 Dodge Roadster.
|06-16-2011 06:39 PM|
|06-14-2011 09:05 PM|
|butch27||Man: That is a great "T" bucket seat. Looks too comfortable for a BUCKET.|
|06-14-2011 01:49 AM|
|Dana Barlow||Looks super,ya did great|
|06-10-2011 07:02 PM|
And finishing the seat:
Added the listing:
The back: just bacause
|06-09-2011 09:00 PM|
|NEW INTERIORS||SWEET !!!!!|
|06-09-2011 08:44 PM|
I continued on with the interior tonight. Screwed it up once, got lucky and repaired it without it showing up in the final product. Here we go:
Laid out the pleats:
Skipped a couple photos!! Here is the main panels sewn together:
After I had these sewn together I put it up next to the base and stared at my mistake, somehow I added the seam allowance in the middle panel twice, so it was an inch to wide, resulting in none of the panels/pleats matching up. I am still scratching my head trying to figure out how I screwed that up!
So I ripped it apart and hoped for the best:
Trimmed the extra off (then went and fixed my template!!):
Then sewed it back up, I moved the pleated panel in 1/8 an inch to cover up the holes from my mistake, I got real lucky this time, all part of the learning curve I guess.
Here is the cover loose over the seat, I need to pick up some listing wire before I can do the final install.
Once I tighten up the cover, the pleats will match right up:
Now to make some door panels, rear panel, and a dash.
|06-04-2011 07:03 PM|
Thanks. I will keep that in mind about the marks. Everything I have read on here and in the books always seemed to stress using them. So thats why I put them every where!
As for the back, there is a little story on that. I sewed that seam up, attempted a French seam, and hammered it up, so I cut it out. That is why I ended up an inch short in the end. Since it was in the back where no one will ever see it, (well in the car anyway) I patched in the little piece. I need to practice a bunch more on the different seams before attempting them again.
|06-04-2011 06:45 PM|
You will drive yourself crazy with all those reference marks. In general, short sections and straight sections do not need reference marks. If you're sewing an 18" piece to an 18" piece you don't need any reference marks. You would use reference marks where seams intersect with straight pieces.
When you have a seam in the center of the front, or the center on top of the seat back that's the place to start and make absolutely sure it is centered before you go very far. In the back, if you had cut the two perimeter pieces longer, and then trimmed them down when you sewed them together, you wouldn't have needed to patch in a piece. All of this is stuff you will learn with experience.
|06-04-2011 06:05 PM|
OKay so today I took a stab at making the cover bench cover. This is my first attempt of doing anything like this so it took most of the day to do the bottom. Hopefully the top will go a little quicker. Not that it matters much!
So here we go:
Transferred the patterns to vinyl:
Cut it all out and transferred the reference marks.
Glued it to foam and cut it out, marked out the pattern and sewed them up (forgot to take a pic) I went with 1 1/8 between pleats.
Then I jumped in and started sewing. This was the easy part. I did not go with any decorative seams as I am not confident enough in my skills to do so. Maybe on the next set.
Next the centers: Starting to look like something now.
Then came the skirt. Next time around I won't center the seam!
SO CLOSE!!! Even with all the reference marks, I some how missed the point......It did not really show up until i started stretching and stapling.
Lots of stapling:
And the finished seat bottom:
All in all I am happy with it. I will do a couple things differently on the next version.
Those that are wondering, the final version of this seat/interior will be a much lighter grey.
Now I just need to do the back.
|06-04-2011 06:04 PM|
I decided that my bench needed a cover, well that and I need to keep the grinding dust and stuff out of the foam.
I only got some patterns done tonight, but these will be the base for the covers. I expect I will make these covers at least twice so I went ahead and made a full set of patterns. Here is how I did it.
Supplies: (Well what I used anyway)
Long straight edge.
acetate (clear vinyl for patterns)
And of course the seat.
I started with the poster board, I made a few mistakes then realized, I only had to make one side, then copy it for the other....
I then transferred the patterns to the clear vinyl adding the 1/2 seam allowance.
You cannot really see them in the pic...now I can move on to the vinyl.
|05-25-2011 07:07 AM|
I "borrowed" my wifes elec knife for this job, I will pick up a filet knife thanks for the tip.
I should start on the covers in the next week or so.
|05-24-2011 06:48 AM|
|DanTwoLakes||BTW, the bolster areas would have been much easier to cut if you would have cut them first and then glued them to the main seat foam. You used an electric knife, but you could also have used an electric fish filet knife which would be a tad more heavy duty. It's a lot easier to cut firmer foam than softer foam.|
|05-24-2011 06:12 AM|
|This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|