Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior> Upholstery adhesive?
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: Upholstery adhesive? Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
03-07-2012 06:52 PM
DanTwoLakes The only thing I don't like about the pressure pot is the two heavy hoses. You have to have a glue hose or the glue will destroy the regular fluid hose, and they are pricey. It is nice not to have to re-fill the cup as often, and it's nice to be able to spray at any angle, but I'd rather refill the cup and not have to lug all the heavy stuff around.
03-07-2012 06:27 PM
slodat I like a pressure pot for adhesive. Personal preference. I bought a used Binks pot for $50. It cleaned up nice. A new lid seal and a new chunk of fluid hose and it was good to go. I bought a new Binks 2100 gun today that was setup for spraying adhesive. I really like this setup. I wouldn't pay new price($500) for the pot though.
03-03-2012 10:29 PM
DanTwoLakes No. There is no aerosol contact adhesive that is as good as bulk (in containers of 1 gallon and more) spray grade, HHR,(high heat resistant) top and trim contact adhesive sprayed from a siphon feed spray gun. There is no aerosol recommended for any overhead applications. If you use three aerosol cans for an interior, you will have more money invested than if you buy a gallon of the good stuff.
03-03-2012 06:50 PM
Epiplayer so at my local auto upholstery shop they have an aerosol can of hhr top and trim adhesive... is it the same thing as the stuff you are talking about?
02-22-2012 03:10 PM
DanTwoLakes To chrisg561: I moved your recommendation to the Lounge and started a new thread with it.

The end of this thread about glue recommendations was not the place for your post.
02-22-2012 02:25 PM
ogre the cheapest $15 gun from harbor freight works well too
i use a discarded paint gun from my buddies shop
amazingly the glue does not harden in the canister, i've had the same gun for 5 yrs
turn the fan spray all the way down and plug the vent hole when not using it
i usually just keep it plugged unless i'm doing a lot of spraying.
welwood contact cement works ok but trim cement is better
02-22-2012 09:09 AM
DanTwoLakes I should have said "more professional" instead of "professional".

You will be thrilled with the results using HHR (high heat resistant) Top and Trim adhesive. It gets stronger as time goes on, the opposite of what you are used to.

BTW, here's an alternative to the "Critter" sprayer in the WIKI article.
02-22-2012 08:10 AM
Moose2 Thanks Dan! You are always a good resource and I appreciate it. Yes I want to do a professional job although I bow to your training and expertise, I just want to do the very best I can, and with the upholstery projects I do, I feel that the adhesives are holding me back (no pun intended)!!! My work seems to look very nice at first, and then the adhesives start to fail after months pass. I get a lot of help from my wife who is an excellent seamstress, and we have a commercial sewing machine that meets our needs too.
02-22-2012 08:04 AM
DanTwoLakes If you're serious about doing a professional job, you need to buy a spray gun and use top and trim contact adhesive. There is no aerosol out there that is a substitute for spraying from a gun. There are products out there that you are missing. One is foam to foam contact adhesive like K-Grip or K-Spray. That is used to glue fabric, vinyl, leather, and Ultraleather to foam, or to glue two pieces of foam together. The other thing is bulk (in containers of a gallon or larger) spray grade HHR Top and Trim contact adhesive. This will glue everything you need to do on a car interior. Here's a link to a WIKI article about contact adhesive: CLICK HERE
02-22-2012 07:42 AM
Upholstery adhesive?

The interior work I've done in the past has included naugahyde tuck/roll and typical woven interior fabrics, but I've never been crazy about the off-the-shelf fabric adhesives available at the local auto stores, especially for holding the fabric that I fold over the edge of the door panels. I've tried the liquid contact cement products too and nothing really holds like I'd like. Is there a commercial product out there I'm overlooking?? Is there some technique trick I'm overlooking with my use of the fabrics?? HELP!!

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.