Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Come On Man!
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: Come On Man! Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
Today 06:49 PM
MARTINSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
I'm beginning to think that I may need a handicapped sticker for my ride.

Lately I've been having a lot of balance issues. If I have been sitting for any length of time, when I stand up my balance goes all to shizzle. Last week, I drove to the store and when I got out of the car, I walked about 20 paces and fell flat. This has been happening for several weeks now. I'm not feeling dizzy - just have no balance. Yesterday, I walked to the mailbox and and after a few feet, I was shuffling my feet and frantically trying to keep my feet under me as I shuffled faster & faster.

Doctor says I am having blood pressure issues - when I stand up, my blood pressure drops severely, causing a near blackout. It clears up after a minute or two as my BP "normalizes", but I'm thinking I'm going to have to able to park right at the door of stores to keep from doing lipstands in parking lots. Yet when I get into the store, I am able to walk normally! And it doesn't always happen! Often I can get out of the car and walk normally! But all too often ....

My personal view is that this might be a cumulative effect from having sustained a few concussions over the years (football, motorcycle crashes, slips & falls on black ice, etc) Looks like I'm not signing up for the neighborhood slow-pitch team this year unless I can get this sorted out. I have 'nuther Dr app't tomorrow to try to figure things out
How much water do you drink? I have felt similar issues when I am dehydrated. I naturally have very low blood pressure, so keeping hydrated is very important.

Brian
Today 06:45 PM
MARTINSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
I have to jump in here. I understand peoples attitudes when you see someone whom at first glance does not appear to have an ailment. I can actually walk maybe 20 ft if I needed. I also may stand up for a minute or two but then Pain and common sense forces me to set. There is nothing I would like better than to be able to walk again. That for me is something that will never happen.

However I have been guilty of pre judging people whom I see park in a handicapped parking space get out and apparently walk away with no apparent difficulty. I have jumped to conclusions more than once. So I am guilty of that two. Most of the time I really don't pay a lot of attention to it but I still see a mom or dad and a troupe of kids park in a Handicapped spaces just because they have the placard or plates for a family member they figured it is ok to use them to park even when the person is not with them. Oh and there is the guy that parks in a handicapped space without plates or placard. Their remark is I am just going to run in real quick so I should just wait for them get their errand done to park.

Ok enough of the rant, I want to relate a story that made me smile and I even thanked a cop for their efforts. This happened within the last two weeks. I went to the local Walmart for some supplies. Like usual all the spots (handicapped) were taken. I am driving round and round hoping a spot would open up. I have a accessibility equipped van with the lift on the side doors so I need the space to lower the lift. I see a spot open on the next row so I am driving toward it and suddenly a young woman went speeding around me in the lot and parked in the spot I was headed to. She had a placard so I figured I will keep looking for a space. Eventually a spot opens and I park. The young woman that took the parking space in her early 20's had hopped out and was trotting to the entrance. I still thought to myself don't judge just let it go.

I go in and get my stuff and I am on my way back out and heading to my van I notice 2 local town police cars and one is positioned at the end of the rows of handicapped parking and the other at the far opposite end blocking a car from leaving. Both cops are out of there cars and walking past the cars in the handicapped spots and writing in their notepads. I couldn't resist asking what is going on so I roll over to one officer and ask him whats going on. The cop responded that due to a mandate from the city counsel they are going to start doing sweeps of the disabled parking areas looking for misuse of placards and plates. That brought a smile to my face. The car that was blocked in was the 20 something that took the spot from me. I asked why they were blocking the one car in. The cop replied that a routine check of the placard she was using showed it was stolen. So they were waiting for her to return. I decided to set and watch this operation continue. When the little space stealing twit came to her car she looked put out by the cop car blocking her. She starts yelling at the cop and within a moment they had her cuffed and put in the car. They hauled her butt to jail I presume. They towed her car too. I watched as one by one people returned to their cars and were met by police officers. I saw 2 more people getting tickets for parking in the space without the owner of the placard or plate being present. In WA state if you own a placard or plates you are issued a card that states you are disabled and that placard or license plates are registered to you. If the owner of the placard or plates is not present then it is a automatic $460.00 fine.

This is the first time I have ever seen such a comprehensive sweep of handicapped spots. I like it, so maybe the word will spread and people will not abuse the parking privileged as much.
OH DAMN that put a smile on my face too!

A few years ago I really started studying traffic and what not, it opened my eyes so much to how twisted our image of time is, you will see this in people in the parking lot. People will sit and wait for a car to move out of a space so they can park closer when there are many spaces ONE isle away! There are spaces a hundred feet away and they are waiting to park in the closer space! They get out, they are perfectly healthy, walking 100 feet more would have done exactly what????? So damn odd us humans.

Brian
Today 05:48 PM
whinny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
I'm beginning to think that I may need a handicapped sticker for my ride.

Lately I've been having a lot of balance issues. If I have been sitting for any length of time, when I stand up my balance goes all to shizzle. Last week, I drove to the store and when I got out of the car, I walked about 20 paces and fell flat. This has been happening for several weeks now. I'm not feeling dizzy - just have no balance. Yesterday, I walked to the mailbox and and after a few feet, I was shuffling my feet and frantically trying to keep my feet under me as I shuffled faster & faster.

Doctor says I am having blood pressure issues - when I stand up, my blood pressure drops severely, causing a near blackout. It clears up after a minute or two as my BP "normalizes", but I'm thinking I'm going to have to able to park right at the door of stores to keep from doing lipstands in parking lots. Yet when I get into the store, I am able to walk normally! And it doesn't always happen! Often I can get out of the car and walk normally! But all too often ....

My personal view is that this might be a cumulative effect from having sustained a few concussions over the years (football, motorcycle crashes, slips & falls on black ice, etc) Looks like I'm not signing up for the neighborhood slow-pitch team this year unless I can get this sorted out. I have 'nuther Dr app't tomorrow to try to figure things out
Dave, I had similar about 5 years ago, it was a generic bp pill that was replaced, I kept blacking out, then stopped the pill, I saw my doc and he changed to a different pill. 100% now. Just a thought. As an aside when I passed out on the couch it actually felt so peaceful, I said to my wife if that's what dyings like, I'm ok with it.

Later gator
Russ
Today 05:42 PM
Dave57210 I'm beginning to think that I may need a handicapped sticker for my ride.

Lately I've been having a lot of balance issues. If I have been sitting for any length of time, when I stand up my balance goes all to shizzle. Last week, I drove to the store and when I got out of the car, I walked about 20 paces and fell flat. This has been happening for several weeks now. I'm not feeling dizzy - just have no balance. Yesterday, I walked to the mailbox and and after a few feet, I was shuffling my feet and frantically trying to keep my feet under me as I shuffled faster & faster.

Doctor says I am having blood pressure issues - when I stand up, my blood pressure drops severely, causing a near blackout. It clears up after a minute or two as my BP "normalizes", but I'm thinking I'm going to have to able to park right at the door of stores to keep from doing lipstands in parking lots. Yet when I get into the store, I am able to walk normally! And it doesn't always happen! Often I can get out of the car and walk normally! But all too often ....

My personal view is that this might be a cumulative effect from having sustained a few concussions over the years (football, motorcycle crashes, slips & falls on black ice, etc) Looks like I'm not signing up for the neighborhood slow-pitch team this year unless I can get this sorted out. I have 'nuther Dr app't tomorrow to try to figure things out
Today 05:27 PM
64nailhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I have to tell you, I have learned a little about that subject and I agree with you if I knew them, if I really knew why they were overweight. But again, there are many very odd and different ailments we humans have. I just learned of one recently that I will have in my head whenever I see someone like this, someone with huge butts and legs. How about a condition that makes the cells in just that part of the body absorb all the fat from their blood and not release any. They literally CAN'T loose the weight and eat anywhere near what they need. And then there was my friend who was very overweight, largely caused by taking the steroids that kept him alive with his lungs completely destroyed waiting for a transplant. He was on oxygen and could barely move, he never lost the weight and died at 52 years old. He was a career cop, a SWAT team member before he caught a disease from the dander off the feathers of doves that his wife would release at weddings in her business. Yep, he was a SWAT team member and he died from something off the feathers of doves. As he said when he told me about this, "who would have thunk."

I don't know, like I say, unless I know, I just can't beat them up too much.

Brian
I agree completely, but I have relatives that only have the ailment of not being able to push themselves away from the table and they get handicap parking privileges. So I assume that there are others in the same boat.

But I will say that your post describes, and reminds me, why stereotyping is a not so good thing. I probably shouldn't rant
Today 04:56 PM
boothboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
I have to jump in here. I understand peoples attitudes when you see someone whom at first glance does not appear to have an ailment. I can actually walk maybe 20 ft if I needed. I also may stand up for a minute or two but then Pain and common sense forces me to set. There is nothing I would like better than to be able to walk again. That for me is something that will never happen.

However I have been guilty of pre judging people whom I see park in a handicapped parking space get out and apparently walk away with no apparent difficulty. I have jumped to conclusions more than once. So I am guilty of that two. Most of the time I really don't pay a lot of attention to it but I still see a mom or dad and a troupe of kids park in a Handicapped spaces just because they have the placard or plates for a family member they figured it is ok to use them to park even when the person is not with them. Oh and there is the guy that parks in a handicapped space without plates or placard. Their remark is I am just going to run in real quick so I should just wait for them get their errand done to park.

Ok enough of the rant, I want to relate a story that made me smile and I even thanked a cop for their efforts. This happened within the last two weeks. I went to the local Walmart for some supplies. Like usual all the spots (handicapped) were taken. I am driving round and round hoping a spot would open up. I have a accessibility equipped van with the lift on the side doors so I need the space to lower the lift. I see a spot open on the next row so I am driving toward it and suddenly a young woman went speeding around me in the lot and parked in the spot I was headed to. She had a placard so I figured I will keep looking for a space. Eventually a spot opens and I park. The young woman that took the parking space in her early 20's had hopped out and was trotting to the entrance. I still thought to myself don't judge just let it go.

I go in and get my stuff and I am on my way back out and heading to my van I notice 2 local town police cars and one is positioned at the end of the rows of handicapped parking and the other at the far opposite end blocking a car from leaving. Both cops are out of there cars and walking past the cars in the handicapped spots and writing in their notepads. I couldn't resist asking what is going on so I roll over to one officer and ask him whats going on. The cop responded that due to a mandate from the city counsel they are going to start doing sweeps of the disabled parking areas looking for misuse of placards and plates. That brought a smile to my face. The car that was blocked in was the 20 something that took the spot from me. I asked why they were blocking the one car in. The cop replied that a routine check of the placard she was using showed it was stolen. So they were waiting for her to return. I decided to set and watch this operation continue. When the little space stealing twit came to her car she looked put out by the cop car blocking her. She starts yelling at the cop and within a moment they had her cuffed and put in the car. They hauled her butt to jail I presume. They towed her car too. I watched as one by one people returned to their cars and were met by police officers. I saw 2 more people getting tickets for parking in the space without the owner of the placard or plate being present. In WA state if you own a placard or plates you are issued a card that states you are disabled and that placard or license plates are registered to you. If the owner of the placard or plates is not present then it is a automatic $460.00 fine.

This is the first time I have ever seen such a comprehensive sweep of handicapped spots. I like it, so maybe the word will spread and people will not abuse the parking privileged as much.
Well if it makes you any happier I'm seeing more Police vehicles parked next to the handicap spots at Walmart. The Officer is older so I'm sure the parking was his beat. What you've described makes me feel all rosie inside.

BB
Today 01:06 PM
ntfday This has been a problem since the sick, lame and lazy figured out how easy, in a lot of cases, it is to get a placard. When my late wife was alive I had handy plates on her car and I and my youngest daughter carried placards in our vehicles and they were only used when my wife was with one of us. To this day I look at handy spots to make sure the vehicle pared has either plates or handy placard.
Do I prejudge, you damn straight I do. My mother had polio when I was 18 months old and wore a brace on her left leg until the day she died. She worked at Goodwill Industries for many years so I was around many different people with different handicaps. I put up with the stares in the stores until I was in my teens when I would generally ask them what they were staring at which would cause them to blush and walk away and I also caught hell from Mom for calling them out, but it didn't stop me.
Today when I see a perceived able body older person leave a vehicle in a handy spot and walk towards the entrance I say nothing since I'm well aware that many can walk only short distances before becoming worn out. I DO NOT have that compassion for the FAT as only 10% or so is caused by a medical condition and many times that is reinforced at checkout when their cart is fill of ice cream, cookies, cakes and other assorted fattening foods.
I do wish that the cops in this area placed a greater effort in policing the handy areas.
Today 12:23 PM
Rip VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
I'a aware of all that and you are not incorrect BUT I know for some of these people the placard is for someone else and it's just used for a spot up closer to the entrance. A lot of times the scooter is pulling a crate with dogs and equipment. Depending on the size and breed of dog, handling can be a strenuous activity. You can't be to handicapped to be able to haul a 200lb Mastiff around the ring.

BB
I have to jump in here. I understand peoples attitudes when you see someone whom at first glance does not appear to have an ailment. I can actually walk maybe 20 ft if I needed. I also may stand up for a minute or two but then Pain and common sense forces me to set. There is nothing I would like better than to be able to walk again. That for me is something that will never happen.

However I have been guilty of pre judging people whom I see park in a handicapped parking space get out and apparently walk away with no apparent difficulty. I have jumped to conclusions more than once. So I am guilty of that two. Most of the time I really don't pay a lot of attention to it but I still see a mom or dad and a troupe of kids park in a Handicapped spaces just because they have the placard or plates for a family member they figured it is ok to use them to park even when the person is not with them. Oh and there is the guy that parks in a handicapped space without plates or placard. Their remark is I am just going to run in real quick so I should just wait for them get their errand done to park.

Ok enough of the rant, I want to relate a story that made me smile and I even thanked a cop for their efforts. This happened within the last two weeks. I went to the local Walmart for some supplies. Like usual all the spots (handicapped) were taken. I am driving round and round hoping a spot would open up. I have a accessibility equipped van with the lift on the side doors so I need the space to lower the lift. I see a spot open on the next row so I am driving toward it and suddenly a young woman went speeding around me in the lot and parked in the spot I was headed to. She had a placard so I figured I will keep looking for a space. Eventually a spot opens and I park. The young woman that took the parking space in her early 20's had hopped out and was trotting to the entrance. I still thought to myself don't judge just let it go.

I go in and get my stuff and I am on my way back out and heading to my van I notice 2 local town police cars and one is positioned at the end of the rows of handicapped parking and the other at the far opposite end blocking a car from leaving. Both cops are out of there cars and walking past the cars in the handicapped spots and writing in their notepads. I couldn't resist asking what is going on so I roll over to one officer and ask him whats going on. The cop responded that due to a mandate from the city counsel they are going to start doing sweeps of the disabled parking areas looking for misuse of placards and plates. That brought a smile to my face. The car that was blocked in was the 20 something that took the spot from me. I asked why they were blocking the one car in. The cop replied that a routine check of the placard she was using showed it was stolen. So they were waiting for her to return. I decided to set and watch this operation continue. When the little space stealing twit came to her car she looked put out by the cop car blocking her. She starts yelling at the cop and within a moment they had her cuffed and put in the car. They hauled her butt to jail I presume. They towed her car too. I watched as one by one people returned to their cars and were met by police officers. I saw 2 more people getting tickets for parking in the space without the owner of the placard or plate being present. In WA state if you own a placard or plates you are issued a card that states you are disabled and that placard or license plates are registered to you. If the owner of the placard or plates is not present then it is a automatic $460.00 fine.

This is the first time I have ever seen such a comprehensive sweep of handicapped spots. I like it, so maybe the word will spread and people will not abuse the parking privileged as much.
Today 11:29 AM
MARTINSR Hopefully they feel the same compassion when we spin a donut in front of their house.

Brian
Today 06:24 AM
boothboy Well rest assured Brian, we're only ranting on the bad guys. Not the deserving.
I mean after all, we are a tolerant bunch of caring ,well wishing Hot Rodders aren't we?

BB
Yesterday 09:50 PM
MARTINSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64nailhead View Post
Here in our great state, every mini mall or grocery store you go to has 30-50 parking spots labelled as handicapped parking that are unusual to see more than 3-5 of them being used.

But here's my off color rant, the majority of people using the handicap spots locally aren't handicapped, they are FAT, and unable to locomote like a normal working person. At what point di being fat turn into being a handicap.???? That annoys the heck out of me.

Okay - done . I figure I'll be parking in the north 40 for the rest of my life and it probably will be good for me.
I have to tell you, I have learned a little about that subject and I agree with you if I knew them, if I really knew why they were overweight. But again, there are many very odd and different ailments we humans have. I just learned of one recently that I will have in my head whenever I see someone like this, someone with huge butts and legs. How about a condition that makes the cells in just that part of the body absorb all the fat from their blood and not release any. They literally CAN'T loose the weight and eat anywhere near what they need. And then there was my friend who was very overweight, largely caused by taking the steroids that kept him alive with his lungs completely destroyed waiting for a transplant. He was on oxygen and could barely move, he never lost the weight and died at 52 years old. He was a career cop, a SWAT team member before he caught a disease from the dander off the feathers of doves that his wife would release at weddings in her business. Yep, he was a SWAT team member and he died from something off the feathers of doves. As he said when he told me about this, "who would have thunk."

I don't know, like I say, unless I know, I just can't beat them up too much.

Brian
Yesterday 09:42 PM
MARTINSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
I'a aware of all that and you are not incorrect BUT I know for some of these people the placard is for someone else and it's just used for a spot up closer to the entrance. A lot of times the scooter is pulling a crate with dogs and equipment. Depending on the size and breed of dog, handling can be a strenuous activity. You can't be to handicapped to be able to haul a 200lb Mastiff around the ring.

BB
YEOW, that is a whole different story! No, they need their butts kicked!

Brian
Yesterday 09:29 PM
64nailhead Here in our great state, every mini mall or grocery store you go to has 30-50 parking spots labelled as handicapped parking that are unusual to see more than 3-5 of them being used.

But here's my off color rant, the majority of people using the handicap spots locally aren't handicapped, they are FAT, and unable to locomote like a normal working person. At what point di being fat turn into being a handicap.???? That annoys the heck out of me.

Okay - done . I figure I'll be parking in the north 40 for the rest of my life and it probably will be good for me.
Yesterday 08:37 PM
boothboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I'm with you BB, however, and this is a BIG however, they may have an issue with their bodies that gives them just a little bit of energy and agility that would allow them those few minutes of movement to show their dog. Any more than that and they could be seriously limited in agility or energy, maybe that was all they had? If they had walked they wouldn't have been able to compete with their dog.

The parking needed to get the scooter out may be the reason they took the handicapped spot. I don't know, I know that a lot of time it is BS and they could have parked many different places depending on where the scooter was (hanging off the back of the car is often where it is) the need for the wider handicapped spot may be needed.

I say all this because there is a very big gray area in out health, I have heard of such odd conditions, we all have, that do one thing or another, I give them a big break. Not unless I KNOW do I go off. My comment I made on that truck in the photo was a little out of place. I don't believe I am off the mark in that it's BS they have that plate on that rig, but after thinking about it, there is some reasons why it would be fair.

I know that one of my friends who is 3'9" tall with 4 inch long legs uses a wheel chair, but can walk. He would never get that chair out coming to my house for instance, but at a store he uses it. He use to have a high jacked 4X4 Chevy pickup. He had such strong arms when he was young back then. He could lift his body like it was a Big Mac, he grabbed the handles he had put on the cab and would just about "throw" his body up onto the seat like a circus performer.

If you saw this 4x4 in a handicapped parking spot you may very well question it too.

I don't know, all I can say is I am blessed with the ability to leave my wife drive home from a restaurant 4 miles from my house and I take my evening walk.

I spoke out of place earlier. I don't think about this stuff much normally too much believe me. If I knew for sure, oh hell yeah, I want to punch them!

Brian
I'a aware of all that and you are not incorrect BUT I know for some of these people the placard is for someone else and it's just used for a spot up closer to the entrance. A lot of times the scooter is pulling a crate with dogs and equipment. Depending on the size and breed of dog, handling can be a strenuous activity. You can't be to handicapped to be able to haul a 200lb Mastiff around the ring.

BB
Yesterday 04:33 PM
MARTINSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
I just got back from showing dogs. What gets me is the number of handicapped people who get the choice parking spots, ride to the ring on their scooters get off and run their dogs around the ring.

BB
I'm with you BB, however, and this is a BIG however, they may have an issue with their bodies that gives them just a little bit of energy and agility that would allow them those few minutes of movement to show their dog. Any more than that and they could be seriously limited in agility or energy, maybe that was all they had? If they had walked they wouldn't have been able to compete with their dog.

The parking needed to get the scooter out may be the reason they took the handicapped spot. I don't know, I know that a lot of time it is BS and they could have parked many different places depending on where the scooter was (hanging off the back of the car is often where it is) the need for the wider handicapped spot may be needed.

I say all this because there is a very big gray area in out health, I have heard of such odd conditions, we all have, that do one thing or another, I give them a big break. Not unless I KNOW do I go off. My comment I made on that truck in the photo was a little out of place. I don't believe I am off the mark in that it's BS they have that plate on that rig, but after thinking about it, there is some reasons why it would be fair.

I know that one of my friends who is 3'9" tall with 4 inch long legs uses a wheel chair, but can walk. He would never get that chair out coming to my house for instance, but at a store he uses it. He use to have a high jacked 4X4 Chevy pickup. He had such strong arms when he was young back then. He could lift his body like it was a Big Mac, he grabbed the handles he had put on the cab and would just about "throw" his body up onto the seat like a circus performer.

If you saw this 4x4 in a handicapped parking spot you may very well question it too.

I don't know, all I can say is I am blessed with the ability to leave my wife drive home from a restaurant 4 miles from my house and I take my evening walk.

I spoke out of place earlier. I don't think about this stuff much normally too much believe me. If I knew for sure, oh hell yeah, I want to punch them!

Brian
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.