Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend> Need some trans and shifter ID help.
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: Need some trans and shifter ID help. Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
05-18-2012 03:00 PM
junior stocker It is a Hurst shift based on the mount bracket used. The "tower" assembly however could be meant for ant make car originally, and just adapted by using the correct rods. In my case, I used a Hurst shift originally from a MOPAR with the "pistol grip" design shifter handle. Your car also has a 55-59 Chevrolet TRUCK bellhousing based on the bolts/nuts on the lower trans ears. You could probably shorten the reverse lever on the shifter tower, and redrill the hole for the reverse rod, in order to gain some clearance. junior stocker.
05-16-2012 06:48 AM
Gamecock66 Thanks. Nah it is ok hearing it. I am building a BB for it and will bite the bullet when it comes time and get a muncie or opt for a 5speed. My main goal right now is to get this thing going as a driving project. I need to figure out what shifter to use in order to fix the floor and run my console.

If anyone knows what I need please let me know. If anyone has a used one that will work let me know that as well.

05-15-2012 07:53 PM
junior stocker You have a Saginaw 4-speed, and unfortunately, it's one of the lighter duty ones having come from a Vega/Monza application (based on the extension housing having the provision for the anti-vibration weight). Should be fine as long as you don't beat it. You probably did'nt want to hear that. junior stocker.
05-13-2012 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Trans is cast iron, revers is on the side cover (not the tailhousing) and the shifter mounts on a large bracket, not the normal one-piece plate. Everything points to a Saginaw.

Any idea what shifter I need or if there is anything I can do with this one to make it work? Right now it is offset so far to the left that I cannot fix the hole in the floor with the proper shifter hump and get the console to fit.

05-13-2012 06:04 PM
joe_padavano Trans is cast iron, revers is on the side cover (not the tailhousing) and the shifter mounts on a large bracket, not the normal one-piece plate. Everything points to a Saginaw.
05-11-2012 06:58 AM
AutoGear I believe its a saginaw, but those pictures all have a weird angle to them. As said before, get a casting number from something on the trans.
05-11-2012 05:59 AM
Trans Help

Check the serial numbers on the trans. If it was me i would pull the trans and go through it. Once you you identify the trans you can get the proper shifter for it. or grind a slot in the crossmember to clear the shifter rod.
05-11-2012 03:20 AM
mmerlinn Bottom ribs suggest that it is a Saginaw to me, but cannot be sure with your pictures.
05-10-2012 08:24 PM
Need some trans and shifter ID help.

Ok guys this is in my 66 Chevelle. The PO swaped the auto to a four speed and I am trying to figure out what trans it is, If the cross member is correct or home made fabrication. I also want to show the issue with the shfter hitting the cross member with the reverse finger. I know it is not the correct shifter. I beleive it is for a Camaro. So here are the pics. The red lines and red box shows the reverse rod that hits the cross member. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.