Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine> manometer
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: manometer Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
10-28-2012 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by birkey View Post
Does the amount of vacuum/pressure change what thickness of fluid should be used
Just make a U tall enough to cover the pressure range you expect without blowing the water out. The dia. of the tubing does not matter; use clear Tygon tubing from the hardware store, I like 3/8. Hook up to the pressure you want to measure, just take a tape measure and measure the difference in height between the two columns of water, that will be your pressure (inches of water pressure). 1 inch of water @ 60 deg F = .0361 psi .

You can add some food coloring to dye it if you like.
10-28-2012 09:21 PM
distilled water

The guages are often read in "inches of water" - the depth of the "U" tube has to be something over 30 inches I believe. I've seen 1/4 and 5/16 aquarium type tubing used to make the "U".

One tube is exposed to atmosphere (with no air flow over the open end) and the other end exposed to the pressure you are testing - it is a comparitor device. You want to measure the difference in the height of the water on both sides of the "U".
10-28-2012 04:25 PM
birkey Does the amount of vacuum/pressure change what thickness of fluid should be used
10-28-2012 12:59 PM
birkey I have a really nice vacuum gauge, but I just like building stuff on my free time. Is it water or thicker viscosity?
10-28-2012 12:38 PM
ogre manometers are usually used to test slight pressure variations like for filter racks in paint booths in the hotrod world
your measuring pressure not volume so use a small 1/4'' tubing
set up a U shaped hose on graph paper and use a dyed fluid to check differential pressure
but then you have to worry about how to calibrate it or
you can buy a new manometer from for $40 or a used one off ebay for $5
if you buy used make sure you can get the right fluid for it as it will be calibrated for the specific gravity of the fluid
10-28-2012 12:12 PM
vinniekq2 Buy a vacuum guage?
10-28-2012 11:51 AM

Anyone have experience building one. What size tubing is preferred?

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.