Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech> Removing baby moons
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: Removing baby moons Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
05-09-2013 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
What gauge should the steel be?
I would be in favor of making the steel part from a piece of leaf spring..better steel and holds a temper better..Need a bit of forging skill though..

05-09-2013 09:40 AM
AutoGear What gauge should the steel be?
05-08-2013 08:51 AM
MARTINSR Yep I guess you would. Make one for the deepest wheel first and see if it works on the others. If nothing else you put a block of wood under it against the tire to make the wheel "deep".

05-08-2013 08:46 AM
27Tall T Thanks Martinsr for the article. Ingenuity in action. An would have to make one for each wheel that had a different offset....n'est pas?
05-08-2013 08:18 AM
05-07-2013 10:13 PM
sedanbob More like 1/8" - two of them about 3/4" apart. I don't remember dust/dirt being a problem on the VWs.
05-07-2013 09:47 PM
27Tall T I imagine the holes were at least 3/16" in size. I would also guess that possibly dust, dirt, water would find its way into these holes and load up the hubcap.
05-07-2013 03:47 PM
sedanbob The early VWs had two small holes in the edge of their hubcaps (similar to baby moons) and v-shaped wire that looped over the lug wrench handle with ends that went into the hole in the cap. Here's the tool: Air Cooled VW Hubcap Removal Tool - Air Cooled VW Mid America Motorworks
05-07-2013 03:16 PM
MARTINSR I have a Street Rodder from a few months ago with a diagram of how to make a tool for this. I'll try to remember to post it tonight.

05-07-2013 08:06 AM
OneMoreTime I have used my prybar and placed a shop towel on the area I was prying against and it worked out for me..Never thought of a special tool..

05-07-2013 01:41 AM
itsjusti I was going to say a rubberized coated flathead .

Or use a Flathead...wrap electrical tape or wire shrink around 3"s up. Heat until soft press on flat surface rotate repeat. Repeat entire process if it melts or gets chipped during pressing.
It may seem like a cheesy kind of tool but it might work plus im kind of a cheapo in a way I could buy one that is made for such things but if I can make something out of stuff I have ill do it lol. I use this method alot with prying things around glass and fabric covered pieces so no rips or drag marks in the fabric

This just hit me never tried it but might work for your application. Either find a small rod with a round tip or take a 1/4" extension and round the end on it like a ball.
05-06-2013 10:32 PM
RWENUTS Or you might find something here.
Eastwood Company: Search Results for door panel removal tool*inproducts
05-06-2013 10:27 PM
RWENUTS I've used an awl like this and slipped a small vac hose over the end onto the curve to remove caps before.
All Purpose Awl 18
05-06-2013 09:52 PM
27Tall T
Removing baby moons

Anybody know the correct or best way to remove baby moons off powder coated wheels. The moons are fairly new and they aren't what you call heavy gauge metal. Afraid to use a screw driver as I might damage the powder coating or even dent the cap. I've been told to use some kind of a heavy duty screwdriver shaped plastic tool (something they use on door panels). Anybody know where I can get something like that?

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.