Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine> shorty headers/ where are they
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: shorty headers/ where are they Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
10-06-2002 02:11 AM
78 monte Ya know I'm sick of these 1978 monte carlo people envading the board!!
10-06-2002 12:43 AM
Weimer You can use shorty's from a 67 Camaro up to a 92 Camaro and everything in between...(well almost)
Basically, Monte Carlo,Regal,Cutlass,Grand Prix from late 70's to early 80's were the same, also Malibu,Camaro, and some truck headers will fit.
I had a 83 Malibu wagon that had a healthy rebuilt SBC in it and I used headers that were for a 67 Camaro. They were the "big tube" shorty's. If the car has been lowered a decent amount you will want to go with a short tube header for clearance reasons.Like these
If its not lowered and you are not planning on it then I would go with a full length header for more low-end power . If you are talking about a 'block hugger' header like these
You can kiss that idea goodbye...the header will dump straight down into the A-Arm Crossmember.
If you still need any help let me know, I ran a parts store for tend to pick up what will ACTUALLY work and what the books say will work.
10-05-2002 08:33 PM
pasadenahotrod I have to guess that "shorty headers" means what we street rodders call block-hugger headers, that is short tubes that come together close to block wall in the center with the collector flange at about panrail level. These were designed for early cars with clearance problems, i.e., tight framerails.
I am sure you'd be better off with the full tube headers made for your application by Heddman and won't spend much, if any, more money.
Good Luck.
10-04-2002 06:42 PM
Jay396 I'm not you, but if i was, i would atleast invest in some long tube headers. you'll get more usable power that way, and it's easier for the muffler shop to intall a dual exhaust package because they don't have to make the bent up to the motor, they'll give you a cheaper rate, usually
10-04-2002 03:07 PM
chevellesrule71 look in summit racing, or j.c. whitney
they have them Matt
10-04-2002 01:01 PM
nova69 Hedman has an application for your car. I think they are available in standard and an upgraded quality.
10-04-2002 12:05 PM
shorty headers/ where are they

i have a 78 monte carlo with a 305 and im wondering where i can get shorty headers at. i like the fact that they bolt right up

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.