Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> What size of wire to use?
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: What size of wire to use? Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
07-03-2004 07:54 AM
oldred This thing even comes with the gas kit already installed for this price, thats one of the many features it has.
07-02-2004 10:20 PM
36scsc Seems like this thread would not be complete without this powder cored wire, discussed here recently, being mentioned. I am all done with the sheet metal welding work on my project else I would have purchased some and tried it. Sure looks impressive to me. ..
07-02-2004 09:39 PM
unstable Old Red--

that's the exact machine I have. been playing with it for probably a year. 100% sheemetal work--and I've gotten fair with it.

the nice thing is the ability to convert to gas when you're ready.
07-02-2004 07:05 PM
ratlover you could be right,
the correct technical terminology is actually GMAW which stands for gas metal arc welding. GTAW is gas tungsten arc welding,FCAW is flux core arc welding, and rod is refered to as SMAW which is shielded metal arc welding. I stand corrected, my humble apologies.
07-02-2004 07:02 PM
oldred Definitely Metal Inert GAS, micro-wire is a trade name from years ago,I forget which manufacturer but it really doesn't matter anyway. What I really want to do is point out the Hobart 125 mig welder in the latest Harbor Freight catalog. Seems that quite often someone wants to know what welder to buy on a tight budget,well here it is! Item no. 04270-ocxa $329.99. One of the fellows in my shop bought one and I think that this is probably the best 110 volt machine I have ever tried. This thing even has a built in contactor(wire electrically cold until the trigger is pulled) this feature is rarely seen on low priced 110 machines. It is definitely a quality built rig that has a lot of extras and is priced right.
07-02-2004 06:16 PM
Originally posted by
hammering on the weld only works with gas weld mild steel, mig wire is harder than the hinges of hell and won't work the same done that thanks bob
I hate to disagree with Bob, because he knows his stuff...but I have to say that you're a little off on this one. I will admit that MIG definitely seems harder than maybe tig or gas...but, it can and should be hammered...if you're doing it right.

There's a thread called "GAS VS MIG" or something like that...where Randy Ferguson shows how he does a fender perfectly using mig.

I understand the process, just haven't mastered it yet.

Basically you should put a bevel on the panels to be joined, so you have a valley between the two. Usually start in the middle and make a few tacks until it completely fills a small area. This is going to shrink the metal. If you unclamped it at this point--you should notice your ends pulling apart (no longer butted together how they should be). If you work the area you just welded with a hammer and dolly, this will crush the weld down...from my experience, if you have an incredibly proud or high tack of filler, you should knock it down with a grinder or sander or whatever before you begin to hammer..but the idea is to crush the weld into that valley.

Keep tacking, it will shrink, hammer it out. With some practice, you can join two panels...even with mig without requiring filler.

Originally posted by ratlover
not to nit-pick,
but tungston is actually spelled tungsten. MIG actually means micro-wire inert gas.
could be wrong...often am but MIG actually means metallic or Metal inert gas...
07-02-2004 05:30 PM
ratlover not to nit-pick,
but tungston is actually spelled tungsten. MIG actually means micro-wire inert gas. Just for the sake of quality control of information. This is not meant to undermine your points, just clarify a couple typo's. great thread though.
06-29-2004 07:40 PM
oldred All wire feeders are NOT mig welders! Flux core gassless feeders are NOT mig. Metal Inert Gas welders require shielding gas, flux core feeders do not and as such are not mig welders.
06-29-2004 12:36 PM
troy-curt If I'm welding a frame, or anything over 3/16 I use 30 or 35, if I'm welding sheet metal I use the lightest wire I can get. For me it seems to make a smaller bead. I use a snapon mig.


If you don't make mistakes. your not doing anything.

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
06-29-2004 09:12 AM
MRGM i love this site
06-27-2004 08:59 PM
Roadsire I bought a miller 175 mig and love it it works great for body work it took some time to get used to welding on sheetmetal as I had never done it but as every one here has mentioned jump around and take your time as heat will warp your metal pull the trigger and release, practice makes perfect as far as cooling with a rag or air this will shrink the metal anmd may cause warpage as well. when you grind dont stay too long as well as this will also cause warping. good luck
07-03-2003 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Harlequin
Yes, wire feed welders are migs. The hookup for gas is for a 50/50 mixture of CO2 and Argon. If you’re going to use the gas, you’re going to have to get different wire at your local welding shop. Right now since your not using gas your going to be using a wire called Intersheild(aka flux core). The flux creates a slag on the weld that has to be removed. When using the copper wire with gas there is no slag that is left behind, hence, a cleaner weld. Hopes this helps! :p
MIG Stands for Metalic Inert Gas it uses the wire as a consumable electrode and is shielded by argon, co2 or a mix argon/co2 for mild steel.
The other type of wire feed is flux core and or (innershield) it can be used with or without shielding gas depending on the type of flux. This process does leave slag and if the operator is not experienced can get slag entrapment in the weld.
Tig stands for Tungston Inert Gas, it uses a Tungston nonconsumable electrode and is shielded by argon or a mix of argon/helium, it is just a heat souce andyou have to use a filler rod.
Another good way to weld light sheet metal is using an oxt/acetelyne torch. Also a Henrob or Dillon is a good choice. I have one and it has very good heat control but I personally don't care for the design it is heavy and akward to use.
I hope this helps you understand a little better!
10-17-2002 01:19 PM
bullheimer move up here m'brutha. I'M starting to rust. quoting (what else) sept 2000 HRM:" 110volt (ugh) MIG welder formed a permanent bond. proper wire selection is critical to good results. because thin-guage body sheet metal wont withstand much heat penetration before melting, it is important to load the welder with .o3o non-shielded wire. heavier wire requires more amperage (heat) to initiate the welding process and shielded (flux-type) wire, regardless of gauge, must be run hotter to burn out the impurities contained with the flux." (article did not state if gas was used, and if so, what kind)without knowing that little tid bit of info this aint much help, therefor, ergo and to-wit: i'd use what was posted above.
10-15-2002 09:21 PM Rust? What is rust? Oh yeah, I forgot , I live in California!
10-15-2002 12:00 PM
gaino Iknow from expirence, being from the humid south they make a special wire that will not get rusty as fast as regular wire. You are not supposed to lube the wire, and after regular wire gets a little rust on it(like mine because it sits mosy of the time) it starts to clog the liner in the handle, and cause the wire not to feed, as far as size goes I use .025 on modern day cars.. I bet that old chevy is thick
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.