Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> how do i get licence plates? (read)
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: how do i get licence plates? (read) Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
09-08-2004 03:57 PM
carpunk yeah no worries 1fast to be truthfull they seem rather expensive
im sure there must be others around doing it
over here theres allsorts of laws about plates but if your vehicle was made b4 1972 i think? u can run silver on black plates non reflective but after that its black on yellow and black on white (front)
the people over here doing them take ages but they wil stamp whatever u want on them i had a set years ago white on blue with my number and on top it said minor alterations (it was on a rodded morris minor pick up) they also even supply the sticker things u have on them in the corners? + any state design u want they have been doing them for years theyre called statesplates
i just figured in the land of the free i could just get a set on the spot and real cheap

just found a few more doing them maybe i shouldhave just done a search lol
try this 1 customlicenceplates
maybe someone should go down there and bust there *****
even a pic of the govenor of FL flaunting his lack of respect for the law!!
that low life should get 10 years in rykers
09-08-2004 03:43 PM
1Fast65Elky Yea, I checked out that site when I seen you posted it. I just wish I had known about that site when I just needed my front black and yellow plate.....No one would have ever known the difference. ***sigh*** But that might work depending on the laws over there where you are at....Sounds like a plan good luck with it Carpunk.
09-08-2004 03:39 PM
carpunk go to the site (cr8apl8) or maybe cra8apl8) something like that i couldnt add link for some reason so do a search theres most probably others i think there based in ca sold over 2 million replica plates! an interesting site
im surprised no-one knew of it
must b an awfull lot of full jails i wonder why? lol
anyway im gratefull for the replys week on wildest police chases
a dangerous fellon is brought to justice after a daring heist of 50c bag of chips but hes no match for the fleet of cruisers ,4 apache gunships, a swat team, vic macky, and a water cannon.
the only chips this thug will get free are the california highway patrol!
meanwhile innocent drug dealing scum are free to do there filthy buisness
09-08-2004 02:40 PM
fiberglass plates?

I didn't know you could buy such and item.. The only why I knew you could get a plate was through the B.M.V. I guess if your plate dosn't need to be legal for the USA you can use them punk.


Rat Rods Rule!
09-08-2004 02:33 PM
i just want a set of blank plates and have my numbers pressed in how hard can it be?
as i said surley the show plate makers can do it?
like the novelty ones u see ,,hot350,,454vet,, 426 mcl,, tuf 460,,
that sort of thing where do they get them made?

Those so called novelty plate that you call novelty plates are personalized plates registered thru the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. A person in the U.S. can apply for a personalized plate and if it is available can get it made and returned in about a 30 day time period. Yes the laws in England and the US vary and for what you are asking would get a US citizen about 10 years behind bars. They are very strict about registration and licensing of vehicles over on this side of the drink. Vehicles are stolen every few seconds over here so they do everything in their power to try and deter theft. Registration, titleing of vehicles, and notarization of all paperwork pertaining thereto. Hope you find what you are looking for but most on here probably can't help you.
09-08-2004 02:17 PM
imitation plates made up with whatever i want on them
I have a hard time believing your gonna be able to get plates. It was a pain in the *** for me to even get plates...and I LIVE HERE!!!! I had one original black and yellow, I told them I wanted 1 plate made with my numbers I own on it. They wouldnt do it, you know what they did took my lisence plate from 1965 and kept it!!!! Teeeed me off so I raised my voice, and the lady put out a sign if you yell you will be jailed. I wound up sayin WEll ill just have someone make me a plate with my numbers on it, She says NOO thats illegal I'm like WTF! I own the damn numbers! I mean like how much of a crime is it they are my registerd numbers...This state is a paain in the buttt when it comes to things you want/need from the government. What wound up happening they "stole" my black and yellow plate, I even offerd her 50 dollars for me to keep it and her wipe the number from the computer I woulda liked to have my original plate on the wall GRRR ..and they gave me 2 new white PRESTAMPED PLATES....they got a huge pile of prestamped plates. If your car isnt registered here insured here and u dont have a drivers lisence here its highly unlikely your gonna get that plate...imitation plate=illegal. Sorry to give ya bad news but I really think this is gonna be a hard one to do.
09-08-2004 01:44 PM
big bird what the hell are u talking about?

When I read the first posts, I was under the impression (as were some others) that you were bringing your vehicle with you on holiday and you wanted U.S. plates with your British number on them, what we call a personalized plate.

I've been with the Wisconsin State Patrol for over 26 years having moved up in rank from trooper, to sergeant, to lieutenant and now Director of Programs at our training Academy so you might say I'm more than a bit familiar with motor vehicle laws.

I was merely trying to give you some helpful information, but I'm sorry if my response was not what you were looking for...that's what the hell I was talking about.
09-08-2004 12:58 PM
carpunk cheers sony but i may have found a place that understands what i mean
a site caled CR8APL8.COM go have a read of it
09-08-2004 12:45 PM
Sonny's 75 To clarify some things, for those of you that don't know, in the U.K. and many other countries abroad the license plate is issued to the car, for the life of the car (as stated before). There permanent.

So in the event that the car is sold to someone else the plates go with the car.

My suggestion would be to search California State licensing bureau's website "procedure's for obtaining personalized license plate's". It would be preferable to call so you could fully explain your situation.

This would be the only possible way of being able to select what you want on an American license plate.

P.S. You could search other State websites as well the procedures will vary from state to state and you may find it to be easier in one over the other. Then they could mail them to you.

Good Luck
09-08-2004 11:57 AM
carpunk listen i am very gratefull for the replys/advice but please re read my posts b4 replying
big bird what the hell are u talking about?
iv no intentions of bringing a vehicle to usa
ive no intentions of registering a vehicle in usa
your laws are not the laws in england its irelevent
please somebody just tell me where i can get a set of ,,show,, imitation plates made up with whatever i want on them
so i can take them back to england and fix to my own vehicle
dont want to offend anybody but i thought this was a simple question .............then again i guess some of u think playing the banjo is simple eh?
sorry shouldnt have said that lol
09-08-2004 11:23 AM
poncho62 Solution............get to know a guy in prison................Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think that you would be best off dealing with the outfit in England, even if the are expensive/unreliable. You will be further ahead.
09-08-2004 11:16 AM
bigbird carpunk

Like Kevin said, you cannot just walk into a shop and have a plate made. While the styles of plates available differs somewhat from state to state, all states require registration prior to the issuance of license plates.

Many states, like here in Wisconsin, will issue what's called Temporary Plates which are good for a short period of time. These are most often used right after a person purchases the vehicle and is waiting for their permanent plates.

When a plate is lost or damaged, the owner must apply for a replacement plate and this can take a month or more.

Many of the states still make their plates in their State prisons.

Using a plastic "show" plate or an immitation plate while driving on the highway is VERY illegal.

Your best bet is to call California DOT offices (or the DOT office of the state where you're first unloading the vehicle) and discuss the situation with them.

Basically ANY operation of a motor vehicle on the highway without proper registration displayed is a violation. Your own country's registration is O.K. but normally to have a vehicle actually registered in a state requires the owner to be a resident of that state. But like I said earlier, you might be able to get a temporary intransit plate.

Hope some of this makes sense.
09-08-2004 10:26 AM
carpunk hahahahahahahahaha thats like guessing lottery numbers!
my number reads in this style (GGG 99 H ) this isnt the number DOH!

i just want a set of blank plates and have my numbers pressed in how hard can it be?
as i said surley the show plate makers can do it?
like the novelty ones u see ,,hot350,,454vet,, 426 mcl,, tuf 460,,
that sort of thing where do they get them made?
09-08-2004 10:16 AM
CrashFarmer2 Carpunk, tell us what number you need and if you get really lucky somebody might have a couple of old plates with the correct number on them. Then you could buy them from the plate owner.
09-08-2004 10:08 AM
carpunk so if u lose or break yours u have to go to the d.o.t?
u dont have shops that have numper plate machines?
what about the people who make the show plates to say what ever u want for show purpouses they could do it dont they have stalls at shows or anything?????????????????????
i cant buy ANY plates and use them i HAVE to have my vehicles number on them
and all uk numbers are registered the fancy private plates u see over here were mostly off old cars then a bit of imagination applied to make them read different by moving bolts etc
u cant just think of a word and register it
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.