|12-06-2004 02:48 PM|
|firstname.lastname@example.org||I used stock wiring until about a year ago but have since rewired it with an EZ harness. Still plan on using the stock amp meter though. A '65 harness is new enough that it was designed to handle several accessories in the high end models so should handle your upgrades with ease.|
|12-06-2004 01:31 PM|
|Ironman||The fans are on a relay and are rated at about 10 amps each for a total of 20 amp of draw. The charging system has been upgraded to a Chevy alternator, which may still need to be upgraded again as I put more load on it. I also have installed an optima battery which increases the cranking amps over the original battery. My main concern was the wire gauge and the amp meter's durability. If willys36 is running high amps with his stock wiring and gauges that make me feel a little more comfortable. Thank you for your responses.|
|12-06-2004 01:04 PM|
if you still have the original generator/altenator, those cooling fans are pulling more than your system can handle.
yes, it`s a disaster waiting to HAPPEN!!!
you should find out what the fan ratings are & update your altenator/wiring and use a relay to start/stop the fans.
|12-06-2004 01:00 PM|
|email@example.com||I have driven my '53 Chevy pickup with the old 6V 30amp meter in a 12V high output system for over 10 years. Hasn't bothered the meter yet and that is much mer abuse than you are placing on yours. A '65 wiring harness should be fine, anyway, most of the harness isn't seeing the increased fan load|
|12-06-2004 10:19 AM|
Dangers of High Amp Output
I have a 1965 FJ 45 land cruiser pickup with a 350 4 bolt main Chevy motor. Originally it has a 6 banger in it but it was replaced with the 350 before I bought it. I just put a Ron Davis radiator in it that has two electric fans for cooling. My stock amp meter goes to 30 amps and with the new fan running it almost pegs the amp meter all the time the fans are running. Is there a possibility that the old wires and amp meter will be taxed to the point of blowing out or worse yet creating a fire now that I am reaching the maximum reading on the gauge? Thanks in advance for your help.