Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine> Intake + Carb for 305HO then to built 350 (74')
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: Intake + Carb for 305HO then to built 350 (74') Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
02-26-2003 02:35 PM
bukweet I'd stick a carb on that thing and let her fly. I changed an 83 feedback model back to a 80 model quadrajet and vacuum advance HEI distributor. It runs great and nobody cares what I did. Check the La. state web site for a link to state inspection rules. Some states don't require them.Also check for a non-resident tag. Some states used to have those for the military.I'll see what I can find out and get back to you here.
02-25-2003 07:32 PM
leroytitman Bukweet,
Nothing has change on that acpect of things yet, even though it may have been a long time ago. The only problem is, I am originally from PA which, where I lived they hooked a hose to your exhaust and it had to pass some strick guidlines. As for registering your vehicle, you have to register it where you live or your home of residency, I am married now and I claim Texas. From what my wife has stated she says they have some strick testing down in Houston area, So I am better off right now trying for the Louisiana Inspection. As I was with getting it registered here in Missouri. My Durango is new and my wife drives that, but my 1984 Dodge D350 has no Cats, no emissions on the engines, Glass paks, and true dual exhuast. This was the way I bought it and I am going to start working on making that a bit more legal when I get a chance, but for now I am not that worried, it has about 9 months left before next registration. Will figure it out when the time comes closer. For now I am working on my Camaro. I want a performance Car but somewhat nice to drive. I have a guy offering some TPI equipment and it looks to be in good shape so if things work out right I am going to try that one out to go on the 350. This will make meeting emissions a bit more easier to get everything hooked up. Thanks LeRoy
If some people have some insite on TPI units, ie... Best place to buy them, performance mods.. wiring harnesses, Please send some feedback. Thanks LeRoy
02-25-2003 05:58 PM
bukweet With some of the stuff I've seen running around down here with Louisiana plates,I don't think emissions are a big concern. No one even opens your hood in Mississippi. At least no one has looked under mine in the 10 years I've lived here.When I was military,a loooooooong time ago,your car had to meet the regulations of the state it was registered in,not the one you were stationed in. Perhaps thats all changed now.Most states have a web site and a dept.of transportation link. Just ask them what the rules are. They'll tell you and you can copy it for anyone who might question you later.
02-25-2003 08:19 AM
leroytitman I hope you did not think I meant LA as in California, I am moving to Ft. Polk, Louisiana. Or is this what you meant. I had some other people tell me that there emissions were not that bad. Maybe I should do some more research on the inspections there. Thanks LeRoy
02-25-2003 05:55 AM
wheresyamotor Moving to LA?

Good luck! Hard as H*** to pass there! I moved from there 3 years ago.
02-25-2003 05:17 AM
leroytitman Thanks for the article on the Q-jet, but the only problem is that the carb I have was given to me in very rough shape. A little corroded inside because when I got the car it did not have a carb on it, it was not running. I put a rebuild kit in the carb and follow the book I have on Rochester Carbs to get it working again. Somethings on the carb are sticking and no matter what I try they just won't free up. A new rebuilt carb exactly like it will be about $350 bucks I figure I should just get another one, but brand new performance. I am moving to LA and they don't actually hook up a hose to the exhaust for emmissions but they check to make sure stock smog is hooked up. I think I might be able to get away with the Emmissions ready performance Headers with AIR. Do you recommend the MSD HEI distributors to replace the one that is on the vehilce now? Or is there another option? I am not too familiar with them. Thanks LeRoy Bear with me I am new at the swapping out engines. I have a guy who wants to sell me a TPI unit off a 1986 305, but no computer, he states everything else is there. Would this work on the 74' 350 I have? What kind of modifications would I need for this one. Thanks LeRoy
02-25-2003 04:50 AM
78 monte I would if I was gonna go legal would be,emmissions headers and crossover,highflow cat,and large tube cat-back.Then use either an edelbrock or weind egr intake.Keep the A.I.R hooked up.
Run the Q-jet with the feed bac vapor can thing and electric distributor for inspection. Then for driving put the Holley on and the vac advance distributor and pull off the belt to the smog pump.Tuck the computer harness away till next inspection.
This way all you'd need for inspection would be to change carb,distributor and put a belt on.
02-25-2003 04:35 AM
KULTULZ [quote]Yes it is the feedback Carb right now. I am planning on buying an aluminum Edelbrock Intake with EGR port on it (emissions ready) but I don't like the Quadrajet. I have heard to many problems with it. I have been looking at a Holley Street Avenger...<hr></blockquote>

I don't think the HOLLEY will give you the emission readings you will need to pass say here where I live. I would stay with the feedback (they are not that difficult to modify) and retain the THERMACTOR, EGR AND EVAP systems on it. Maybe later a set of legal headers and a low back pressure exhaust (including cat). A high output ignition system is a must.

This will give you good reliability, driveability and mileage and you won't be sucking seat cover everytime you get an emissions inspection notice.

You will be able to change your PROM to alter the fuel curve and timing curve.

<a href="" target="_blank">-Quadrajet Tech-</a>

02-25-2003 04:06 AM
leroytitman Yes it is the feedback Carb right now. I am planning on buying an aluminum Edelbrock Intake with EGR port on it (emissions ready) but I don't like the Quadrajet. I have heard to many problems with it. I have been looking at a Holley Street Avenger with 4 vacuum ports on it. I think this would work to keep my emissions legal? Any comments? Also the problem with checking my local laws is that I am in the military and I change States about every two years, so nothing is consistant. So I just have to keep it somewhat legal, with all the stuff on for the emmissions test. Thanks for the info, any ideas on the setup I stated above. I plan on putting a bigger cam on the 350 also. Do you think this would work on the 305HO for now and then also work on the 350. The Carb I am looking at is a 670CFM. Thanks

[ February 25, 2003: Message edited by: leroytitman ]</p>
02-24-2003 07:50 PM
KULTULZ Is the carburetor a feedback model? I would find out exactly what your state of residence emmission laws are pertaining to engine modifications, and then go about modifying the engine. A quadrajet properly set up is a fine carburetor. You might want to reconsider and just buy an emission ready aluminum intake.

As for FI, it is hard to beat the factory TPI setup for performance and price.
02-24-2003 05:42 PM
Intake + Carb for 305HO then to built 350 (74')

I own a 1984 Camaro and I have the 305 HO in it right now. I was told there is no replacement for displacement. So I got a 350 from a 74' truck for about $100. Looks great and piston walls have hardly no wear. Was sitting in a heated garage for the last three years. I am getting it bored .030 over, 3 angle valve job, heads and block decked, and I am looking for a higher performance Cam. Looking to transfer over as much as I can from the 305 except I want to get rid of the Rochester Quad on top and also the intake. To throw a wrench into things, I would like to keep some of the stock smog equipment so I don't have to search for an inpsection station that will over look the missing equipment. What intake and carb would be a good recommendation for use on the 305 to move it here and there until I can get everything completed on the 350, and not waste any money so the new intake and Carb will be a great peformer with some power on the new rebuilt higher performance 350? I hope some can help. I am planning on being a frequent person on this forum, this is my first Engine for myself. My brother has built about ten but mostly mopars. I two own two dodges, but got the Camaro and want to make a good project out of it. If someone can help with some insite I would appreciate it. Are the Edelbrock complete Injection units worth the money $1800? Or is this a waste of money on an 1984? Thanks LeRoy

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.